B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old August 9th 04, 12:08   #1
Granite
Ranger

Stand Alone Episodes

What are all the stand-alone episodes in the main B5 series?

By stand-alone I mean no involvement (or extremely little) in the overarching story lines (i.e. Shadow War, Earth Civil War, Interstellar Alliance).

I know S3E2 - "Convictions" is a great example of a stand-alone, but are there others?
Granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th 04, 12:31   #2
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: Stand Alone Episodes

Part of the problem with this is that even the stand-alones have some tie-in with the major arcs. Infection's a classic example, with all its foreshadowing. Grail's another, but Delenn's conversation with Sinclair about him being a seeker ties into previous conversations about Sinclair looking for answers or putting himself in the line of fire for no reason.

So I guess a better question might be, "which episodes are the most stand-alone?"
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th 04, 12:39   #3
Joseph DeMartino

Quote:
So I guess a better question might be, "which episodes are the most stand-alone?"
IN which case the answer would start with "a good half of S1".

Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th 04, 14:03   #4
PillowRock
Psi Cop

If you consider Convictions not to have connections to the overarching story, then there are a fair number of episodes that have a similarly low levels of connection. However, I would point out that Convictions does in fact have several connections to the bigger story.

1) We get a taste and feel for the reactions of populations back on people's home worlds to Kosh's appearance out of his encounter suit (though they don't know that that is what it was), and the attitudes toward B5 in relation to it.

2) The bomber's back-story fleshes out what conditions are back on Earth (and the rest of the EA outside the station), and in the process helps lay the ground work for Clarke getting away with imposing martial law later.

3) It is a major beat in the overall arc of the story of the Londo / G'Kar relationship (which could be thought of as a microcosm of much of the show).

4) It introduces Theo and his monks, whose presence keeps coming up periodically including in relation to the resistance to Clarke back on Earth and smuggling info out to B5.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th 04, 20:29   #5
phoenixrising
Telepath

Quote:
Quote:
IN which case the answer would start with "a good half of S1".

Regards,

Joe
And almost all of season 5.
phoenixrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th 04, 22:55   #6
Ninja_Squirrel
First One

Quote:
What are all the stand-alone episodes in the main B5 series?... I know S3E2 - "Convictions" is a great example of a stand-alone, but are there others?
Considering the previous comments, I don't think there's a list that won't spur debate. It's true that almost all episodes have at least a smidgen of arc story, significant character development, and/or character history. However, I'll give it my best shot (seasons 1 & 2 will probably be the most off):

Season 1
========
Soul Hunter
Infection
The Parliament of Dreams
The War Prayer
Deathwalker
Believers
Survivors
By Any Means Necessary
Grail
Legacies
The Quality of Mercy

Season 2
========
A Distant Star
The Long Dark
A Spider in the Web
Soul Mates
GROPOS
And Now For a Word
Knives
Confessions and Lamentations
Divided Loyalties

Season 3
========
Convictions
Passing Through Gethsemane
Exogensis
A Late Delivery From Avalon

Season 4
========
(none)

Season 5
========
A View From the Gallery (added later; thanks Almir)
Day of the Dead
The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father

All of Season 4 is arc, either in terms of the Shadow War, the aftermath of the Shadow War, revelations about the past, Minbari civil war, Earth civil war, or a glimpse of the distant future. Season 5 comes close to being all arc also, thanks to the overlapping Telepath, Alliance, and Centauri storylines, as well as what I call the "goodbye" episodes.

My favorite stand-alone episodes are Deathwalker, Quality of Mercy, Knives, Confessions and Lamentations, and Passing Through Gethsemane. Unfortunately, several of the other stand-alones are the most dominant stinkers of the whole series.
Ninja_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th 04, 09:15   #7
Sindatur
Techno-mage

I have smaller issues with some others but Spider in The Web, wasn't that the first Wham episode to the Black ops arc (Bureau 13?) that went awry because JMS decided he couldn't use that name? Also Quality of Mercy brought us the Alien Healing device that saved both Garibaldi's and Ivanova's lives.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th 04, 11:22   #8
PillowRock
Psi Cop

I guess a lot of this depends on what exactly you mean by a "stand alone" episode.

Do you really mean an ep without connection to the larger arc?

Or ...

Do you mean an ep that can watched by someone who knows nothing of the larger arc and have them enjoy and understand (at least in their own minds, even if they are missing some wider implications) it?

The latter yields a much longer list than the former.
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th 04, 11:27   #9
Ninja_Squirrel
First One

Quote:
Also Quality of Mercy brought us the Alien Healing device that saved both Garibaldi's and Ivanova's lives.
I look at that one this way... The Quality of Mercy was the story of Dr. Laura Rosen (I think that was her name) and the killer Carl Mueller. Their story ended with that episode. The alien healing device was introduced in that episode and used twice later on. However, it was just a device.

When they did use the device later, the stories were not about the device, they were about Garibaldi, Ivanova, and Marcus and the struggles they were facing at the time. The device became just another convenient tool, albeit a special & unique one with a bit of backstory. It's kind of like it was an inanimate recurring character but never had a starring role, just like Corwin was a human recurring character, but only once was the story ever close to being about him, and that was only for one small subplot.

IMHO, I would not consider the healing device a full-fledged arc element (almost, it's borderline, but not quite there).
Ninja_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th 04, 11:52   #10
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I'd consider A Spider in the Web and Divided Loyalties to be part of the Psi Corps arc.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote