B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old January 20th 04, 19:02   #11
Recoil
First One

Re: Drakh

Yea I liked it too and was sorry to see the shimmer effect go.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th 04, 19:36   #12
KoshN

Hey Recoil, looking at your sig., check this out.

http://forums.b5tv.com/printthread.p...&type=post (to isolate my post)
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th 04, 21:22   #13
Recoil
First One

Heh yea

Ive had this sig for almost a year I think...I lose track. I tried to change it to the bit with Peter and Lawrence in their apartment, but its just too much text to fit in a sig. I really should get around to changing it though...
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st 04, 03:02   #14
Lord Refa
Dead Account

I kind of remember a post by JMS saying there were 3 kinds of Drakh, and that we got to know about all of them in the Technomage novels. I've read those novels, but I don't know any more about the Drakh then I did after season 5.

Quote:
The shifting, blurry effect was added to "Lines of Coummunications" because JMS was so unhappy with the original makeup developed for the Drakh. (He was probably haunted by memories of the Zarg from "Grey 17".)
Are you sure about this? I did not think the drakh makeup looked bad. There was a pagesize picture in one of the B5 magazines of the Drakhs head from 'Lines of communication'. I think it looks great. If you look at the makeup in the neck and face, it is the same as in season 5 episodes where we see Shiv'Kala. The only difference is the exo-sceleton covering most of the face. I think the exo-sceleton was used as some sort of breather and scare-tactics. The shifting adds to the scary part, making the drakh appear are a very frightful and mysterious race.
I believe we saw something like a Drakh ambassador, and they chance their looks when showing themselves to other races. All the other time we saw Drakh we did so in their environment: Drakh ships, or their new home on Centauri Prime. I see no need to camouflage yourself at home, you only do that when going out.

BTW, did anyone notice the Drakhs appearance in Season 3? In 'Ship of tears' , they bring in the pilot of the ship they just rescued from the Shadows. There isn't much left of the pilot, but if you look closely, you can see it was a Drakh like in 'Lines', complete with exo-sceleton.
Lord Refa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st 04, 03:25   #15
Joseph DeMartino

Maybe it wasn't the makeup. That's what I remember JMS saying, but I'll have to dig up the post.

Here's what "The Lurker's Guide" has to say on the subject:

Quote:
The real reason the Drakh shimmered, according to special effects technician Ken Busick, was that the costume didn't look convincing enough. So to give the Drakh an otherworldly appearance, the scene was digitally manipulated in postproduction.
Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st 04, 06:57   #16
vacantlook

Quote:
BTW, did anyone notice the Drakhs appearance in Season 3? In 'Ship of tears' , they bring in the pilot of the ship they just rescued from the Shadows. There isn't much left of the pilot, but if you look closely, you can see it was a Drakh like in 'Lines', complete with exo-sceleton.
If I remember the scene correctly, the head of the dead alien being rolled away on the medical gurney looked a whole lot more like a pair of background aliens that were among the recipiants of telepaths being stationed on ships to help fight off Shadow ships in that really short scene of telepaths being assigned to various ships in whichever late 3rd season episode it is that that scene is in (I can't remember which episode is is right now and my DVD player is being uncooperative preventing me from looking it up).
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st 04, 08:18   #17
KoshN

Quote:
Quote:
If I remember the scene correctly, the head of the dead alien being rolled away on the medical gurney looked a whole lot more like a pair of background aliens that were among the recipiants of telepaths being stationed on ships to help fight off Shadow ships in that really short scene of telepaths being assigned to various ships in whichever late 3rd season episode it is that that scene is in (I can't remember which episode is is right now and my DVD player is being uncooperative preventing me from looking it up).
The episode, IIRC, was "Grey 17 is Missing." The scene was at the start of the episode, and I don't remember any aliens in that scene that looked even remotely "Drakh."

No, Lord Refa was right when he wrote:

Quote:

The dead pilot in "Ship of Tears" looked like a soldier Drakh whose facial exoskeleton had been eaten away by the acid mentioned.
Old January 21st 04, 08:20   #18
Zathras
Dead Account

Quote:

And the winner of B5TV.com's longest sentence competition is...

Vacantlook! Congratulations!

DISCLAIMER: This contest is not sanctioned by management. The only prize is the admiration of your peers and the disdain of grammar teachers worldwide. Thank you.
Zathras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st 04, 08:28   #19
vacantlook

LOL Zathras.

I don't usually do too many runon sentences being that I generally self-edit for grammar since it's quite possibly my most eagerly pursued basic subject. But sometimes when I find myself lost in thought and talking/typing with quite a bit of freeflow, I can end up going on and on.

And I stand by my statement, the funky face of the alien brought in on the stretcher is the same species as two of the quite background aliens in the telepath-to-ship distribution scene. They have very large foreheads with a bit of an odd ribbed look and funky noses.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st 04, 09:10   #20
KoshN

Quote:
And I stand by my statement, the funky face of the alien brought in on the stretcher is the same species as two of the quite background aliens in the telepath-to-ship distribution scene. They have very large foreheads with a bit of an odd ribbed look and funky noses.
"And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place"
Beginning of scene 1, upper left corner.

Those two aren't Drakh. Good catch though with the resemblence between the two backround aliens and the dead ship captain in "Ship of Tears". I'm getting some comparison screencaps.