B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old March 1st 18, 06:44   #1
Raw Shark
Commander

Biggest unanswered questions...

I'm looking forward to seeing my B5 Encyclopedia, but I have to wait another week and a half because I'm out of town. I'm not sure what I'll be looking up first.

But I do have a list in my head of big, unanswered questions about the B5 universe. I bet some of you do as well.

Who bombarded Z'ha'dum, and when? And how many times did it happen? The planet's surface is covered in craters, completely devastated apart from a system of pylons that spreads across that world, probably Shadow tech systems linked to the Great Eye, the uber-planetary defense system (which failed to detect or intercept the White Star carrying two huge fusion warheads on a suicide run, it's almost as if someone was asleep at the switch...). The Shadows used to have cities on the surface, but moved them underground long ago for protection. I believe the Shadow-Vorlon rules of non-engagement were in effect for most of the history of their great proxy wars, meaning that a Vorlon bombardment of the Shadows' homeworld would be an invitation for a Shadow bombardment of the Vorlon homeword. Since that was such a momentous decision for Kosh to make, ending eons of agreement that there would be no direct conflict between the two ancient hyperpowers, it seems unlikely that the Vorlons carried out such an attack. So did one of the younger races do it, like the Minbari? Were they even capable of interstellar travel when it happened? Or some race we don't know about, that may have departed known space or gone extinct? Or the Shadows themselves? Now that would be chaotic behavior (do they get points for consistency?). And did the bombardment happen before or after the Vorlons built the Great Machine?

Who else has questions they're hoping to find answers to in the B5 Encyclopedia?

Raw Shark

"The ultimate synthesis of machine technology and living tissue."
- Dr. Hendricks, Infection

Last edited by Raw Shark; March 1st 18 at 07:03.
Raw Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st 18, 12:59   #2
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: Biggest unanswered questions...

That Centauri telepathy question that came up the other week is a good one.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st 18, 19:22   #3
Looney
Ambassador

One quick note while I have a sec. As far as the White Star question goes, don't forget it is partly Vorlon so maybe the Shadow's scanners couldn't penetrate.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd 18, 00:07   #4
babylonfan
Ranger

The Whitestar getting through the defences of Z’Ha’Dum is explained in the Techno Mage trilogy.
babylonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd 18, 03:10   #5
Looney
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonfan View Post
The Whitestar getting through the defences of Z’Ha’Dum is explained in the Techno Mage trilogy.
Thank you for explaining without giving a specific spoiler. That is excellent.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th 18, 17:11   #6
B5_Obsessed
First One

I wasn't a fan of the explanation in the Technomage series. It was a big ret-con that totally changes everything about the sequence. Since you are concerned about spoilers I can't even say more than that. As for the bombardment of Z'ha'Dum, I would assume it was some combination of the First Ones, possibly including the Vorlons, and that it occurred way before humanoid civilizations arose in the galaxy.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th 18, 11:22   #7
b5historyman
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Shark View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing my B5 Encyclopedia, but I have to wait another week and a half because I'm out of town. I'm not sure what I'll be looking up first.

But I do have a list in my head of big, unanswered questions about the B5 universe. I bet some of you do as well.

Who bombarded Z'ha'dum, and when? And how many times did it happen? The planet's surface is covered in craters, completely devastated apart from a system of pylons that spreads across that world, probably Shadow tech systems linked to the Great Eye, the uber-planetary defense system (which failed to detect or intercept the White Star carrying two huge fusion warheads on a suicide run, it's almost as if someone was asleep at the switch...). The Shadows used to have cities on the surface, but moved them underground long ago for protection. I believe the Shadow-Vorlon rules of non-engagement were in effect for most of the history of their great proxy wars, meaning that a Vorlon bombardment of the Shadows' homeworld would be an invitation for a Shadow bombardment of the Vorlon homeword. Since that was such a momentous decision for Kosh to make, ending eons of agreement that there would be no direct conflict between the two ancient hyperpowers, it seems unlikely that the Vorlons carried out such an attack. So did one of the younger races do it, like the Minbari? Were they even capable of interstellar travel when it happened? Or some race we don't know about, that may have departed known space or gone extinct? Or the Shadows themselves? Now that would be chaotic behavior (do they get points for consistency?). And did the bombardment happen before or after the Vorlons built the Great Machine?

Who else has questions they're hoping to find answers to in the B5 Encyclopedia?

Raw Shark

"The ultimate synthesis of machine technology and living tissue."
- Dr. Hendricks, Infection
1. Probably bombed centuries ago by allies of the Vorlons..

2. The Eye (controlled by an imprisoned Wierden for a thousand years) was turned away by Galen which allowed the White Star to approach unhindered. Reference Passing of the Techno-mages: Invoking Darkness

3. The Vorlons did NOT build the Great Machine. The Builders were an unknown race that Joe was planning on doing a movie of the week about with TNT. Sadly it never came to pass. Reference http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-9826
b5historyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th 18, 11:27   #8
b5historyman
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
I wasn't a fan of the explanation in the Technomage series. It was a big ret-con that totally changes everything about the sequence. Since you are concerned about spoilers I can't even say more than that. As for the bombardment of Z'ha'Dum, I would assume it was some combination of the First Ones, possibly including the Vorlons, and that it occurred way before humanoid civilizations arose in the galaxy.
I don't think it retconned anything. Look at the sequence of events between Sheridan firing his PPG and then staggering along the cavern wall to the balcony. There's plainly been a bit of a battle as he's bloodied and his uniform is torn. All Jeanne's book does is fill in the events of that gap. Doesn't alter how things played out on screen. In fact it's in the novel outlines by Joe that Galen helps Sheridan on Z'ha'dum. And Galen is responsible for saving Morden
b5historyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th 18, 17:56   #9
Springer
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5historyman View Post
I don't think it retconned anything. Look at the sequence of events between Sheridan firing his PPG and then staggering along the cavern wall to the balcony. There's plainly been a bit of a battle as he's bloodied and his uniform is torn. All Jeanne's book does is fill in the events of that gap. Doesn't alter how things played out on screen. In fact it's in the novel outlines by Joe that Galen helps Sheridan on Z'ha'dum. And Galen is responsible for saving Morden
Unless JMS knew that Galen was helping Sheridan when he wrote Z'Ha'Dum, then by definition it is a retcon as he came up with that plot point after the fact. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with retcons if they make sense, but that's for the viewer/reader to decide.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th 18, 23:05   #10
Raw Shark
Commander

1. Probably bombed centuries ago by allies of the Vorlons..

2. The Eye (controlled by an imprisoned Wierden for a thousand years) was turned away by Galen which allowed the White Star to approach unhindered. Reference Passing of the Techno-mages: Invoking Darkness

3. The Vorlons did NOT build the Great Machine. The Builders were an unknown race that Joe was planning on doing a movie of the week about with TNT. Sadly it never came to pass. Reference http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-9826[/QUOTE]

1. Well, sure, but which ones? And what sort of allies would have the firepower to attack the Shadows' homeworld in such a devastating fashion? This capability is far beyond Sheridan's attack with one ship and two warheads. The heavy cratering seems kind of similar to the effects of a Shadow planet killer, more than anything else we've seen.

2. I know, I read it and took notes.

3. I just knew you would respond to that, thanks! Sounds like that nixed tv movie would have been a hell of a story. I definitely want to know more about Sinclair becoming Valen, and the rather fishy story we heard from Lennier about the 'real reason' for the Minbari surrender at the Battle of the Line.

Another thing I would like to know is, who was Justin? His explanation of his function in the galaxy was certainly colorful, but not very revealing. I think JMS stated that Justin was not on the Icarus mission, he arrived separately. One of the books, I think in the Psi Corps trilogy, says that an Earth Alliance presidential advisor went off on a secret mission, and I think he made a stop at Ganymede. Do I have that right? My books are 800 miles away so I can't check that just now. If Justin volunteered to go to Z'ha'dum to be Earth's representative to the Shadows, it sounds like he was planning on a one-way trip. He essentially went to live among the demons in Hell in service to Earth, to make their grand deal with the Shadows work, and get their hands on all of that sexy tech. Pretty dedicated. I guess he brought a lot of tea for his stay there.

Raw Shark

"Perhaps everyone is wrong."
Kalain, 'Points of Departure'
Raw Shark is offline   Reply With Quote