B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.personnel

Old January 24th 18, 05:21   #1
Karajorma
Ranger

Archive of American Television

I'm currently working my way through all the B5 interviews in the Archive of American Television. There's some stuff in there I didn't know before, especially the stuff about Paramount actively trying to kill B5.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th 18, 15:35   #2
Looney
Ambassador

Re: Archive of American Television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karajorma View Post
especially the stuff about Paramount actively trying to kill B5.
Like most things it comes down to money, power, and control.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th 18, 00:44   #3
Karajorma
Ranger

I'd always known they stole the idea for DS9, it's pretty obvious in fact. But I didn't know they actively tried to kill it with nonsense like saying "If you buy DS9 you can't also buy B5"
Old February 5th 18, 02:31   #4
hypatia
First One

Yea, I sometimes find myself amazed at how twisted the world of entertainment can be. It is more than just making a lot of money (though that is the first consideration, I'd think). It is more like having to destroy what you can't have. So you want to kill it so no one else can have it, either. In short, angry and childish behavior.

And JMS didn't exactly get rich from B5, did he?
Old February 5th 18, 10:47   #5
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
By Hollywood standards, no - especially as this was the first series he sold. But he did get payments for all of the hats he wore, from creator to exec. producer to writer. He didn't make as much as he could have since he didn't put his name on any of the scripts he had a hand in re-writing. And as we know, he sure as heck hasn't made anything in rerun residuals.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th 18, 02:47   #6
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:
By Hollywood standards, no - especially as this was the first series he sold. But he did get payments for all of the hats he wore, from creator to exec. producer to writer. He didn't make as much as he could have since he didn't put his name on any of the scripts he had a hand in re-writing. And as we know, he sure as heck hasn't made anything in rerun residuals.
Yea. It's depressingly familiar to me. Maybe I should shun JMS. My fandom seems to be the kiss of death, sometimes. Although, I seem to be doing better in recent years. Back in B5's day, I'd start watching series a few episodes before they were cancelled.
Old February 6th 18, 06:42   #7
Karajorma
Ranger

Quote:
Yea, I sometimes find myself amazed at how twisted the world of entertainment can be. It is more than just making a lot of money (though that is the first consideration, I'd think). It is more like having to destroy what you can't have. So you want to kill it so no one else can have it, either. In short, angry and childish behavior.
It's pretty sad. While I don't believe that anyone involved with writing DS9 saw JMS's work, it's pretty obvious that the executives had seen it and were directing DS9 to be more like B5. There are some pretty startling coincidences otherwise.
Old February 6th 18, 10:30   #8
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Yea. It's depressingly familiar to me. Maybe I should shun JMS. My fandom seems to be the kiss of death, sometimes. Although, I seem to be doing better in recent years. Back in B5's day, I'd start watching series a few episodes before they were cancelled.
I know the feeling. In fact, I almost didn't watch B5 when it first came out because I was so tired of watching new shows, starting to like them a lot and then they'd disappear after a few episodes. My life might have been just a little different if I'd missed it!
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th 18, 03:00   #9
Karajorma
Ranger

I like how closely your signature fits that sentiment.
Old February 12th 18, 01:08   #10
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karajorma View Post
It's pretty sad. While I don't believe that anyone involved with writing DS9 saw JMS's work, it's pretty obvious that the executives had seen it and were directing DS9 to be more like B5. There are some pretty startling coincidences otherwise.
I think JMS gave the Star Trek guys a detailed overview of his vision for Babylon 5. And then, suddenly, Star Trek does its first series not set on a starship but on a space station. With Star Trek's first arc-planned storyline. And a leader who become a religious figure. And... but sadly I really liked DS9, too.