B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old October 30th 15, 04:36   #1
B5 in Oz
Lurker

Who was the real star of the whole series?

Just having watched the whole series from start to end I would like some opinions of who really was the star of the series, not just the lead roles but the one who really made it worth watching. In my opinion it was G'Kar.
B5 in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th 15, 10:37   #2
vorlonlovechild
Commander

Re: Who was the real star of the whole series?

Londo & GKar. Without a shadow of a doubt.
Old October 30th 15, 11:26   #3
Springer
Ambassador

For me it was Londo. He drove the story, was at the centre of almost everything whether he wanted to be or not, and it was Londo who was telling the story of Babylon 5 from the beginning. I don't think G'Kar's character arc drove the story quite as much as Londo's did (though the two were, of course, intertwined).

As for Sheridan, yes he was the main star and also drove much of the story, but as we saw with the change from Sinclair to Sheridan, his position wasn't irreplaceable.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th 15, 13:47   #4
Wulf
Ranger

Byron.

...Sorry, I was supposed to turn that into a joke, but now I just feel dirty.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th 15, 18:19   #5
Jan
Psi Cop

The ensemble. I just can't imagine it without the entire cast. Londo and G'Kar definitely stand out but all of them had some fantastic moments.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th 15, 23:01   #6
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

Interesting question, but difficult to answer. For me, at least. If I were to aim for just answering the "who made the show really worth watching" part of the question, I'd have to go with the perhaps something boring "all of them together!".

Springer makes a great point about whose story this is. Londo is indeed involved in everything. Also, his is one hell of a character arc. Even so, I think B5 is still a story about humans and where they are going. But perhaps you need an "outsider" to tell the story of humanity.

If you had asked me who I think the real hero of the story is, I'd have a much easier time answering. I think it's Vir. He just seems like a legitimately good guy. He has to go against his upbringing and culture to do the right thing, and he does so successfully. Your definition of "hero" might differ from mine
Old November 28th 15, 18:40   #7
Mororless
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennier's Tears View Post
Interesting question, but difficult to answer. For me, at least. If I were to aim for just answering the "who made the show really worth watching" part of the question, I'd have to go with the perhaps something boring "all of them together!".

Springer makes a great point about whose story this is. Londo is indeed involved in everything. Also, his is one hell of a character arc. Even so, I think B5 is still a story about humans and where they are going. But perhaps you need an "outsider" to tell the story of humanity.

If you had asked me who I think the real hero of the story is, I'd have a much easier time answering. I think it's Vir. He just seems like a legitimately good guy. He has to go against his upbringing and culture to do the right thing, and he does so successfully. Your definition of "hero" might differ from mine
The lack of a single central character who everything was built towards definitely helped B5 I would say and we had lots of characters with long and furfilling arcs.

I would personally say Vir is a bit more of an everyman than a central hero, the down to earth character that sees the story all the way though.

If you had to pick out a central hero I think it does obviously follow "the one" moving from Sinclair to Delenn and then Sheridan. Perhaps not in the way JMS ment it with Sinclair becoming Valen but I think the way he wrote season 1 Sinclair is a more obviously central character with Delenn reduced more to a Kosh like potentially teacher or holder of unknown knowledge. The switch to Sheridan seemed to come with a switch to Delenn having a larger more dramatic rather than mysterious role and you could argue earlt on she's the one driving the arc forward more directly. The switch from her to Sheridan being the One seems to be a bit more of a slower change arguably happening though season 3 and being complete by the time of his return in season 4. Maybe you could argue that Ivanova is built up a little in the finale as the character taking on this role somewhat for the future.

Last edited by Mororless; November 29th 15 at 09:56.
Mororless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th 16, 13:59   #8
Anla'shok Na
Lurker

I guess in a sense that the show can be viewed as the Rise and Fall of Londo Mollari.
Anla'shok Na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st 16, 04:29   #9
hypatia
First One

I've heard people talk about B5 as a story of Londo and G'Kar, actually. In so many ways, those characters drove much of the action that we got to see, from start to finish of the series.
Old February 21st 16, 22:14   #10
Sinclair

I'd say it's definitely G'Kar and Londo. Their relationship with one another coupled with their individual growths just kind of cements their legacy throughout the course of the series. Not to mention the trials and tribulations of the Narn and Centauri peoples as a whole just kind of helps to reinforce that.