B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old January 12th 03, 20:54   #1
Strifeguard
Dead Account

Season 4 Hair

Before reading forward, the following may be viewed as a spoiler by some very strict forum goers, so if you haven't seen season 4/5 don't read on. It will probably be more amusing if you read after watching those seasons anyway.

Okay, hi, as you will immediately see, I'm new here, but I'm a big follower of B5, and after searching the forums a bit, I wanted to discuss something that bothered me about the series, but which does not seem to have been talked about here before.

In Season 4 of Babylon 5, the audience watches a gradual change overcome Dr. Stephen Franklin. Specifically, we watch his hair make make a gradual journey from black to grey. Now, perhaps he needed to do this for the purpose of remaining "undercover" during his "covert operation" in the second half of the season, but let's be honest, that kind of gradual subtle change doesn't really constitute good camoflage.

Now, so what, people's hair turns grey after a while anyway, right? But, in the case of Dr. Stephen Franklin, as soon as Season 5 starts, he's, to use an AC/DC reference, "Back in Black" so to speak.

This has always bothered me. Perhaps this decision to move to grey hair was made solely by Richard Biggs, but even so, wouldn't they have wanted to darken it, at least for the purposes of television? And then why the sudden change at the start of Season 5?

Maybe I'm alone here, but I'd like to know what other people think.
Strifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th 03, 23:16   #2
ElScorcho
Psi Cop

Re: Season 4 Hair

It would seem that people in the future are just as concerned about their personal appearance as we are today. It should also be noted that Cap'n Sheridan's hair mysteriously changes from brown to auburn between s4 & s5 (maybe his goatee didn't match) and Garibaldi opted to go completely bald instead of letting time do it for him. I believe Londo also indulged in the ole Grecian formula when he became emperor.
ElScorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th 03, 23:48   #3
FlipperPA
First One

I always got a kick out of the beginning of S4 in the Summoning... Sheridan's back from Z'ha'dum, back from the dead, and he's got a great new haircut! I guess Lorien is a barber and wanted him to look good upon his return. ;-)

-Tim
FlipperPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th 03, 00:11   #4
Jomar
Dead Account

I used to wonder about that too, but after all if Lorien could bring him back from the dead, why not have a good haircut to go with it?

The other thing that interested me is in the introduction to Season 4, Sheridan is shown with his helmet on, and I was always convinced that his hair was going to change during the season. Sure enough, by the end of season 4 he had grown a beard.

It seems his real wife, Melissa, hated the beard and by season 5 he had removed 90% of it and kept just a miniscule amount of moustache and beard. Apparently JMS wanted a beard so he had to keep it but he got away with the least possible.
Jomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th 03, 00:18   #5
GShans
Dead Account

Quote:
and Garibaldi opted to go completely bald instead of letting time do it for him.
wrong, Zach did something accidentally and made Garibaldi lose what hair he had left, as said so in the series.
GShans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th 03, 00:33   #6
ElScorcho
Psi Cop

Hmm, I thought Ivanova had something to do with it. Either way, it would have to be something that would make him go bald permanently .
ElScorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th 03, 01:19   #7
Quagmire
First One

The joke was that a smuggler had sold him something that made him bald. Ivanova threatened to reveal this to Garibaldi to convince the smuggler to help supply the station.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th 03, 05:09   #8
Kribu
Administrator

Hi and welcome to the board. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for the hair - never bothered me. People go grey in real life and then dye it at some point. People can have red hair for ten years and then suddenly opt for jet black. People can bleach their hair one month and then go to something more natural in two months' time.

Changing their hair colour is what people often do. So I really didn't see that as a problem, neither logically or consistency-wise.

Sheridan's new Z'Ha'Dum/Lorien haircut excepted. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] That was somewhat... well, I didn't really expect Lorien to be a barber, either. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Kribu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th 03, 07:22   #9
Jade Jaguar
First One

Well, Lorien had a beard, so either he trimmed it himself, or he had a barber living in the pit with him. Well, unless there was a Shadow barber who made pit calls -- I don't think so! So, Lorien could surely trim Sheridan's beard if he had been trimming his own for eons. Also, perhaps his ship had an autobarber in it. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th 03, 09:24   #10
TheInfection
First One

Actually first time in S4 we see the new haircut was in "Falling Toward Apotheosis". In "The Summoning" where Sheridan returns and gives that dramatic speech, he still has the old S3-cut. I think about these things too much... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards,
Marko Marin
TheInfection is offline   Reply With Quote