B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old November 10th 14, 18:12   #1
Elric
Ambassador

WB considering HD update

Can't see this posted elsewhere in the forum - its unlike me to be the first to post such news but I guess there's a first time for everything!

http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/20...hd-update.html

I'll believe it when I see it ofc, but the news is encouraging.
Old November 10th 14, 18:23   #2
Springer
Telepath

Re: WB considering HD update

It has been mentioned, not sure which thread it was in. Unfortunately JMS himself shot this one down. Hopefully one day Warners see sense and do fund a Blu-Ray version with remastered effects. The DVDs are terrible quality!
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th 14, 18:43   #3
Jan
Psi Cop

Yeah, this was a year ago and JMS still says that WB will never pay for it. They certainly don't seem to be interested in growing the fan base by making the show available in reruns...

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th 14, 19:39   #4
cheer
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
They certainly don't seem to be interested in growing the fan base by making the show available in reruns...

Jan
Do we know what the story is, here? Are they just asking for too much money? Given that there are DVD releases, I am assuming there are no rights issues.

It'd be awesome to get this stuff up on Hulu or Netflix or something.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th 14, 11:43   #5
Elric
Ambassador

Ah, just noticed it was a 2013 article lol. A friend sent me the link so assumed it was new. I guess redoing all the effects is to cost prohibitive, especially considering how many there are in most episodes.
Old November 11th 14, 16:28   #6
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
Do we know what the story is, here? Are they just asking for too much money? Given that there are DVD releases, I am assuming there are no rights issues.

It'd be awesome to get this stuff up on Hulu or Netflix or something.
That's what the whole #FreeBabylon5 campaign is all about.

Definitely no rights issue since WB owns the show from decks to airlocks (except feature film rights, of course, which belong to JMS). As far as anybody can tell, they're not offering it because they have it available in a few places at $2/episode. We're trying to persuade them to offer it and TV stations to ask for it.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole

Last edited by Jan; November 11th 14 at 16:44.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th 14, 17:40   #7
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elric View Post
Ah, just noticed it was a 2013 article lol. A friend sent me the link so assumed it was new. I guess redoing all the effects is to cost prohibitive, especially considering how many there are in most episodes.
When it comes to Babylon 5, Crusade and most other Warner Brothers TV shows that I like (e.g. Brimstone), Warner Brothers is EXTREMELY tight. Warner Brothers is utterly HOPELESS. If they DID come out with Babylon 5 and/or Crusade on Blu-ray, it'd almost certainly be a half-assed release done on the CHEAP, and not worth our money.

Hell, we can't even get the Babylon 5 novels and novelizations and the six short stories on Kindle. Evidently, people figure too much time has passed and/or there's not enough demand, and/or maybe Warner Brothers or others want too much money for the rights to put them on Kindle.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th 14, 03:33   #8
dregj
Lurker

they still got all those lost tales cgi models havent they?
they should stump up for one spec dvd to see how it goes
dregj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th 20, 21:36   #9
Lyta's Shadow
Ranger

Just read this on the Blu Ray forum, not listened to the podcast myself yet but will definitely go and hunt it down!

Quote:
Ok guys. Something might be happening. If you listen to the most recent Warner Archive podcast, at about the 30 minute mark they start to answer email questions. One of the questions concerns B5 ever possibly coming to blu. The moderator, who is also the head of Warner Archive says that they aren't working on it. But someone else is and those someones are asking all the right questions in terms of aspect ratio and visual effects. My assumption here is that it's probably the main arm of Warner media. Since Archive does not have a sizable enough budget to take on a large scale project like this. It's also possible that it could be for the streaming service HBO Max. Either way, there appears to be some movement on upgrading B5.
Lyta's Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th 20, 03:15   #10
Looney
Telepath

Oooooooooooooooooo thanks for the update Lyta's Shadow. I have to be honest that your ID is giving me pause on whether or not I should trust you. .....

Well I certainly hope it is for a physical release because I'd really hate to have to pick up another streaming service. How many years do you think it will take for them to realize the formula of everyone having their own streaming service isn't going to work? I just saw that Star Trek Discovery is headed to Prime Time CBS and will no longer be a streaming exclusive, but I'm sure they'll find a way for viewers to have to watch both - I've yet to give into their temptation. I also heard they are re-branding away from CBS All Access to Paramount Something Or Other - not the actual name of their new brand, but it may as well be.

Anywho kudos to Lyta's Shadow for bringing some light into my night.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote