B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Other TV-related forums > Non-B5 books, TV & films

Old April 10th 14, 15:54   #11
Demonn
First One

Re: The Original Battlestar Galactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Actually, I think Singer said his impression is that the new movie will be unrelated to either series, and probably mid-way between them in terms of tone and subject matter. I don't think Singer's attached to it, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

My HUNCH is that they're hoping to Chris Pine/JJ Abrams it, they way Paramount did Trek.

So NEW NEW Battlestar... I'll watch it no matter what they do with it.
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th 14, 19:58   #12
Springer
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post

Nope.

Had it gone to a 2nd season, they'd have killed off most of the sprawling supporting cast, and given double-duty to the remainders. The season premier was to be called "The Return of the Pegasus" and it might actually have been good. It would have killed off Tigh, Dr. Salik, Dr. Wilker, and Sheeba. Boxey would have been sent to a boarding school ship so Apollo could get some funky love. Kids are a damper on that. Boomer would have taken over as the ships science officer, Cassieopeia would have taken over as the ship's doctor. They also would have introduced humanoid cylons (Mainly because the chrome ones were too hard to film) Oh, and a re-cast Athena would take Tighs' job.
I don't know about that, but the psychic thing is straight from the mouth of Richard Hatch at a convention I attended about 2005 which had pretty much all the surviving cast bar Maren Jenson. He was going to develop some of the funky powers of the Lords of Kobol that Adama alluded to on occasion. I may be misremembering but didn't Adama display some limited telekinesis in War of the Gods?

There's a write up on the Battlestar wiki about one of the unproduced episodes that showed the direction it was going to head in:http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Wheel_of_Fire.

Edit: actually I'm just reading the second season proposal on the wiki right now. I'd not noticed it before. Interesting stuff. It confirms that Apollo would have left Blue Squadron and it would have been Starbuck that became psychic, not Apollo (so either Hatch misremembered or I did). I hate what they wanted to do to Apollo, and a complete contradiction of the character – he never thought about stepping down after Serena was killed. Don't like the idea of Sheba being killed either.

Larson was going to bring Isaac Asimov on board as a consultant and writer! Now that would have been interesting, especially with his fascination with robots.

Sounds like it would have been mixed - some good, some bad.

Last edited by Springer; April 10th 14 at 20:24.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th 14, 23:18   #13
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonn View Post

So NEW NEW Battlestar... I'll watch it no matter what they do with it.
Yup!

Someone on io9 said "They'll gender-swap starbuck into a guy, and then people will complain about it."

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th 14, 23:36   #14
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I don't know about that, but the psychic thing is straight from the mouth of Richard Hatch at a convention I attended about 2005 which had pretty much all the surviving cast bar Maren Jenson. He was going to develop some of the funky powers of the Lords of Kobol that Adama alluded to on occasion.
Meaning no disrespect to Hatch, who's a super-nice guy, but he misremembers a lot. Listen to the commentary track for the BSG box set. The others are all like, "Yeah, I remember this scene. Right after this I got a haircut" and "Oh, sure, they signed me as a recurring character, but you guys got signed as principles for 24 hours," and other very specific memories. Hatch is like, "What's this? I don't remember this." and "Oh, yeah, this, this, this is the scene where...no, wait....what is this again?"

So talking about Season 2 is basically asking an actor to remember a show from 28 years ago THAT HE NEVER MADE. (Caps intended to be funny, not actually yelling). I'd be surprised if anyone could remember anything with any detail over that space of time.

Quote:
I may be misremembering but didn't Adama display some limited telekinesis in War of the Gods?
Yes, he did. He moved a paperweight with his mind, and mentions that he studied psychic research at the academy in his youth, and drove his wife crazy bending spoons.

Quote:
Edit: actually I'm just reading the second season proposal on the wiki right now. I'd not noticed it before. Interesting stuff. It confirms that Apollo would have left Blue Squadron and it would have been Starbuck that became psychic, not Apollo (so either Hatch misremembered or I did).
Probably Hatch.

Quote:
I hate what they wanted to do to Apollo, and a complete contradiction of the character – he never thought about stepping down after Serena was killed. Don't like the idea of Sheba being killed either.
Agreed. Apollo was kind of a schlub of a character, but he WAS a character. He was very duty-oriented, very loyal, none of this "I've got to find myself" touchy-feely crap.

Quote:
Larson was going to bring Isaac Asimov on board as a consultant and writer! Now that would have been interesting, especially with his fascination with robots.

Sounds like it would have been mixed - some good, some bad.
I remember reading that a long time ago, but I'm not sure if it was a done deal or not. I know they'd talked, I think I read something where Asimov mentioned it in passing and was rather cool on the idea. Probably would have if they paid him.

Would it have been good or bad? "The Return of Pegasus" actually sounds kinda' cool, just based on death toll alone. The rest of the episodes sound terrible, though, and we both agree they were gonna' ruin Apollo.

I think whether it was good or bad would depend on how many BTS people they were able to bring over from the first season again. Because the first season didn't really figure out what it wanted to be until the Terra arc, and what we see here sounds like they were ditching that and moving in a safer direction.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th 17, 15:15   #15
Looney
Ambassador

Very interesting stuff. Last summer I sat down and watched all of that first season for the first time. I had seen several episodes throughout my life, but never all of them end to end. I was very surprised how much I enjoyed it. And the reason I decided to sit down and watch them is because I met Dirk Benedict at a Con and then found out he and Richard Hatch were going to be at another Con near where I live together. It was at a little convention in St. Louis so I actually got to talk to Hatch for awhile, very nice man and very engaging. We didn't get into many details he could mis-remember. LOL Very sad that he passed away so soon after I met him.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th 17, 15:19   #16
Sinclair

I've still never seen the original, but I own the entire series of the newer one. I'll have to check it out sometime. Any idea if it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime?
Old May 9th 17, 16:56   #17
Looney
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
I own the entire series of the newer one.
Oooooo! Why?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
I'll have to check it out sometime. Any idea if it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime?
It is not. It is currently on Amazon, but it is Pay-Per-Episode. (Don't do that. It isn't that good. ) I also checked Hulu and nope. I am sure it will be back on one of them soon. Or maybe Go90 will get it to go along with B5.

I will say that it is not a show you should go into thinking it will be brilliant, unless you can put mind back in time to 1978. It is fun and at times has some brilliant qualities. Of course there are also annoying aspects as well. Basically don't have high expectations other than trying to enjoy the fun retro quality of it.
Old May 10th 17, 06:57   #18
Kraig
First One

I saw the original back it was first shown by ABC back when I was in the Navy.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” — H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No. No."
-- Craig T. Nelson
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th 17, 04:19   #19
Looney
Ambassador

I only saw a few reruns when I was a kid. Then when I was older and SciFi Channel ran them. Last summer was the first time I could say I saw all of them. I don't think I am ever going to give Galactica 1980 a shot. The whole basis of that show is one of the main things I can't stand about TV. We are doing a space show, but to save money we are going to do as much of it as we can, or even all of it, on a planet. Then we can just film it out in the desert or the woods and claim it is an alien world.