B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old August 22nd 13, 13:05   #11
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Re: Aborted Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi Cop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Psicorps is a huge bleeding hole in the narrative, though, I agree. that's got to be handled.
Other than The Telepath War, it WAS handled in the Psi Corps trilogy of novels. Only The Telepath War was skipped, left for a theatrical release or series of theatrical releases.

The books were more about Bester's fate than the Psi Corps. The war itself was not really covered and could sustain a series if blended with other elements.
No argument. But books are only canon so long as no one's making a TV show. When someone starts filming again, all that stuff goes out the window.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 13, 16:17   #12
KoshN

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi Cop View Post
Quote:
Psicorps is a huge bleeding hole in the narrative, though, I agree. that's got to be handled.
Other than The Telepath War, it WAS handled in the Psi Corps trilogy of novels. Only The Telepath War was skipped, left for a theatrical release or series of theatrical releases.

The books were more about Bester's fate than the Psi Corps. The war itself was not really covered and could sustain a series if blended with other elements.
No argument. But books are only canon so long as no one's making a TV show. When someone starts filming again, all that stuff goes out the window.
So, considering it's a Warner Brothers property, the books should be canon for the rest of time.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 13, 16:48   #13
KoshN

[[QUOTE=Republibot 3.0;438833][Q
Quote:
UOTE=Republibot 3.0;438833]QUOTE=Republibot 3.0;438833]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Get the old Crusade cast back, shoot Value Judgements, To the Ends of the Earth and End of the Line, and continue with the remaining (living) B5 and Crusade actors..
Have you SEEN Gary Cole lately? He's an old man.
Hair dye. Otherwise, he looks great.

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that he hated being on the show and evidently everyone hated having him on the show (I'm hesitant to say that, given what I just learned about Michael O'Hare, but that's the impression I'm given, which is why they were gonna' kill him off).
I wonder how much of that was true. Trouble is, he was VERY GOOD on the show. Re. killing him off in End of the Line, how many times does it look like a key actor is killed off in a season finale cliffhanger and he doesn't die and is back in Season 2? VERY often.

Quote:
Daniel Dae Kim is a big bohonkin TV star with two successful TV series behind him, one of which is legendary. His weekly salary is probably equal to Crusade's entire budget for an episode.
Since he's tied up in that crummy H50v2, he'd unfortunately have to be re-cast.

Quote:
David Allen Brooks was looking quite long in the tooth last time I saw him (He's pushing 70).
Makeup. His wasn't a really physical role. He could probably do it.

Quote:
Peter Woodward could do it.
No doubt about it.

Quote:
Marjean Holden is pushing 50.
Again, makeup. ...or recast.

Quote:
What are we supposed to do? Say "Oh, the Excalibur hit a time warp and everyone aged 14 years since the last episode"?
Hair dye and makeup work wonders.

Quote:
Nah, your best bet would be to recast, with the possible exception of Galen. Build sets that are more-or-less identical to the originals so you can use clever CGI editing to salvage the performances by Lochley and Biggs. The surviving B5 cast could show up on occasion, of course. Easier to hide the aging on the characters wearing a lot of prosthesis. Mira Furlan looks great for her age, and Bruce cleans up well.

For all we know, that's what JMS had in mind. Of course for all we know, what JMS had in mind was capturing the morning dew in a bottle and having it cary him to the moon...
Lacking the above, I'd rather have Crusade continued and wrapped up in non-graphic novels, but JMS would only do it as a TV series, TV miniseries or as theatrical movies. So, given Warner Brothers interest and backing of B5 universe projects since Crusade, Crusade is never going to be continued in ANY form.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; August 22nd 13 at 17:18.
Old August 23rd 13, 17:28   #14
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
I wonder how much of that was true. Trouble is, he was VERY GOOD on the show. Re. killing him off in End of the Line, how many times does it look like a key actor is killed off in a season finale cliffhanger and he doesn't die and is back in Season 2? VERY often.
The Crusade-behind-the-scenes book I read made it pretty clear he wanted out, and they wanted him out. There's also a mention in there that he wouldn't have been back for a 2nd season, had there been one.

Quote:
Lacking the above, I'd rather have Crusade continued and wrapped up in non-graphic novels, but JMS would only do it as a TV series, TV miniseries or as theatrical movies. So, given Warner Brothers interest and backing of B5 universe projects since Crusade, Crusade is never going to be continued in ANY form.
Well, JMS could have done a graphic novel or a novel novel by now if he wanted to. He's been asked if he'll ever resolve Crusade, and he generally says 'no.' He wants to do more in the B5 universe, but he doesn't seem to want to do Crusade again. Honestly, I don't think he thought it was his best work, and I think he found it a rather unpleasant experience. I base that on very little.

He does seem to have made a half-hearting pitch to Warners for a Trek TV Series rebook that COULD be taken as an attempt to re-purpose the Crusade storyline, but it's JMS, so we'll never know.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
Old August 23rd 13, 23:43   #15
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
He does seem to have made a half-hearting pitch to Warners for a Trek TV Series rebook that COULD be taken as an attempt to re-purpose the Crusade storyline, but it's JMS, so we'll never know.
Warner's doesn't own Trek so JMS could never have pitched a Trek series to them. JMS and Bryce Zabel did write a treatment for a Trek reboot but Paramount wouldn't accept it.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th 13, 00:38   #16
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:
Warner's doesn't own Trek so JMS could never have pitched a Trek series to them. JMS and Bryce Zabel did write a treatment for a Trek reboot but Paramount wouldn't accept it.

Jan
If Warner's owned Trek, we probably wouldn't have heard of it post 1969!
Old August 24th 13, 00:39   #17
Raw Shark
Commander

While watching Crusade, I was also never reminded of Star Trek. Beyond the basic format of a crew on a spaceship, the series was very different in tone, style, storytelling and characterization. The dense backstory, while not usually necessary to follow the storylines, really sets it apart. There is so much else happening around the galaxy, which we learn about in bits and pieces. The Earth Alliance is thrown into chaos by the Drakh attack. EarthGov is probably relying heavily on the Interstellar Alliance to find the Drakh and strike back as best they can, in addition to helping defeat the plague. The Centauri Republic has become a pawn of the Drakh, being cultivated for use in whatever they have planned. EarthForce, or some faction of it, has a sinister program to develop its own Shadow tech warships, and does not seem to have a good system for controlling them. As Dr. Kirkish said in Messages from Earth, “They don’t want it so they can fight these things. They want us to become more like them.”

The particulars of the Telepath War are generally unknown, but I think it was meant to be much bigger and uglier than people suspect. Parliament of Dreams humorously brought up the story of two races fighting for supremacy on Centauri Prime, with the Xon losing and being exterminated (I loved the scene of Londo’s feast). The Telepath War would be Earth’s version of this type of war, pitting Homo Sapiens against Homo Superior, but not so funny. Its end result is one that doesn’t satisfy anybody. The new Bureau of Telepath Integration looks pretty similar to the Psi Corps it replaces, and there is still no homeworld for telepaths. The tensions remain, and another Telepath War is not out of the question. The remnants of Psi Corps are lurking in space, and JMS suggested they could return to their place of authority over human telepaths if the BTI doesn’t work out. The rest of the galaxy was turned upside down during the Shadow War, while Earth stood quietly on the sidelines. Now in the aftermath, it’s Earth’s turn, and the consequences of its alliance with the Shadows are becoming clear.

During the ‘Spotlight on JMS’ at Phoenix Comic Con in May, I asked him about the ‘Crusade: What the Hell Happened?’ books, and if his plans for audio versions of ‘To the Ends of the Earth’ and ‘End of the Line’ meant that Crusade was bubbling up in his thoughts again. His response was that he does intend to finish the ‘What the Hell Happened?’ series, intends to produce the two Crusade audio plays, and that Crusade never stopped being in his thoughts. He didn’t explain this further, but maybe he has an interest in writing more for Crusade, beyond penning its extended epitaph. He has said in the past that it’s a story he would like to finish in some way.

I agree with KoshN, I’m not really interested in the storylines of ‘Lost Tales’ or ‘Legend of the Rangers,’ which seemed kind of thrown together. But Crusade and the Telepath War are huge, compelling stories which are begging to be told. I would love to see a revival of Crusade on television, but the chances of that happening are, let me see, do a little math, carry the two, and… they’re zero. A Crusade movie would have to jettison almost all of the content planned for the series, and cram the rest into two hours. Can anyone imagine a film where all the carefully planned mysteries are resolved in quick succession, because time is a factor? It would not work well that way, it would lose the intelligence, the sense of wonder. They might as well throw in a pod race for the rubes. JMS now has Studio JMS, publishes his own comics, and could probably get permission from WB to do B5 comics on his own, with total creative control. Unless there’s a spite factor between them. If anyone thinks the comic book format wouldn’t work, it could at least be experimented with. JMS has done a lot of great comics since the so-so B5 comics of the 1990s, for which he did not have creative control. ‘To the Ends of the Earth’ would make a good one-shot issue, to at least give it a try. Crusade and the Telepath War are two stories which JMS put a ton of thought and preparation into, and it would be a real shame if they were never told.

Raw Shark

“Please, we just want closure!”
Uter’s parents, The Simpsons
Raw Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th 13, 16:52   #18
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Quote:

Jan
Ptch, treatment, you know what I mean. Also, I don't believe JMS has an exclusive conract with Warners (Few writers do), so he can pitch to whomever he wants.

Kevin Long
Old August 24th 13, 16:55   #19
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jan
If Warner's owned Trek, we probably wouldn't have heard of it post 1969!
Honestly, you almost didn't anyway. Trek was considered a dead, property and a complete waste. It was a UHF station manager in PA who contacted the studio and asked if he could run repeats around 1970. In those days, it was unheard of to syndicate a show with fewer than 5 seasons, they just weren't considered viable. Paramount agreed and leased him copies of the 16mm prints on 1-inch video, which he ran at the two stations he owned in 2 different towns. And then everybody wanted it. It also opened up the syndication market to orphan shows that never made it to the magic number of eps.

But had that guy not shown the initiative, it's doubtful Trek would be any more popular now than Commando Cody, Space Ranger.

Kevin Long
Old August 24th 13, 17:36   #20
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jan
Ptch, treatment, you know what I mean. Also, I don't believe JMS has an exclusive conract with Warners (Few writers do), so he can pitch to whomever he wants.
No, definitely not any kind of exclusive with Warner's. Sorry, I wasn't clear - I meant that he couldn't pitch to Warner's because it's Paramount that owns Star Trek.

Interesting story about the syndication. It seemed to me like it went into reruns immediately in Chicago, where I lived at the time (yes, I saw Trek in its original run).

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote