B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old September 13th 11, 23:18   #1
RickyWalsh

Failed Babylon 5 Projects

I posted this on IMDB and JMS News but on the off chance there are people here who aren't there: I found this interesting article on failed B5 projects.
Old September 13th 11, 23:59   #2
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Re: Failed Babylon 5 Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyWalsh View Post
I posted this on IMDB and JMS News but on the off chance there are people here who aren't there: I found this interesting article on failed B5 projects.
Cool, thanks. I wasn't aware the first Film actually, definitely was a Telepath War film, and had actually gotten a completed script. I thought it was merely rumored to be, and would most likely be a Telepath War movie, but, it never got even as far as a script. I also wasn't aware that In Memory of Shadows was the 3rd actual attempt

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th 11, 01:38   #3
Jan
Psi Cop

There might have been a treatment but I'm pretty sure that the telepath war story never went to script.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th 11, 21:49   #4
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

How much of all that is accurate? I'm particularly dubious of the "reboot" entry -- full creative control and 22 episodes assured, but I've never heard of it?

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th 11, 22:05   #5
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
How much of all that is accurate? I'm particularly dubious of the "reboot" entry -- full creative control and 22 episodes assured, but I've never heard of it?
That's the "Ask me after April" news that finally came out. JMS, I believe said full season, 2-3 Million per episode, and full creative control. Not sure if 22 episodes was stated, but, at least "Full Season" was mentioned

Old September 14th 11, 22:26   #6
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Definitely true. JMS said it at Comic-Con at his spotlight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34BM_nn-CeA and he repeated it on Facebook and was also included in an email update from the Scripts Team which Vacantlook reposted here.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th 11, 13:49   #7
vorlonlovechild
Commander

Bugger. Mind you I dont know how JMS would have found the time. He's just so damn busy. Does he ever sleep?
Old September 15th 11, 14:45   #8
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I can't believe JMS would have done a reboot, though. He is so loyal to his actors.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th 11, 15:08   #9
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
I can't believe JMS would have done a reboot, though. He is so loyal to his actors.
Apparently, his idea was to tell the story differently. Some of the available actors might play their previous parts, some of them might play different parts. The Character of G'Kar wouldn't have been re-cast, but, rather the character would be shuttled into the past, where he would be a G'Quon type (or a disciple of his back in the day).

His thinking was that B5 Universe is not really in a good palce right now for a continuation, spinoff, because it's been off the air so long, and a Babylon 5 project now, without the Station wouldn't make sense to most folks (IE: Couldn't do Babylon 5: The Telepath War, because everyone would wonder why there was no Babylon 5 in the Movie)

I too was really taken aback when I first read "Reboot", but, reading his explanation, it made sense.

Old September 15th 11, 18:10   #10
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
Quote:
Apparently, his idea was to tell the story differently. Some of the available actors might play their previous parts, some of them might play different parts. The Character of G'Kar wouldn't have been re-cast, but, rather the character would be shuttled into the past, where he would be a G'Quon type (or a disciple of his back in the day).

His thinking was that B5 Universe is not really in a good palce right now for a continuation, spinoff, because it's been off the air so long, and a Babylon 5 project now, without the Station wouldn't make sense to most folks (IE: Couldn't do Babylon 5: The Telepath War, because everyone would wonder why there was no Babylon 5 in the Movie)

I too was really taken aback when I first read "Reboot", but, reading his explanation, it made sense.
Babylon 5 would still be there for The Telepath War. The Teep War was ~2264-2265. Babylon 5 was demolished in 2281.

p.s. I think the reboot idea was ridiculous.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; September 15th 11 at 18:12. Reason: typo fix : to .
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote