B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Rate the Technomage Trilogy
A 7 70.00%
B 3 30.00%
C 0 0%
D 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 23rd 11, 02:51   #1
Alioth
Commander

Technomage Trilogy discussion thread

Sort of like an Episode poll thread, only about the books.

I've so far read the Centauri Trilogy, this trilogy, and "To Dream in the City of Sorrows", in that order, and I think that the Technomage Trilogy was the best written of all of these, and gave some good insights into a lot of key characters, introducing us particularly to Galen (that is, if you hadn't seen any "Crusade" at that point, as was the case for me), an often frustratingly troubled character who I nonetheless could relate to in many ways.

It fell within the time frame of the B5 series from about S1 through the explosive events of "Z'ha'dum" up to the final expulsion of the First Ones, but presented many of the key events and characters therein from a totally different perspective. We saw an awful lot more of what was going on out on the rim, in some details that could summon nightmares. We also got some new perspective on Kosh, what he was trying to accomplish, and how he differed from the other Vorlons, seeing more hope for the younger races than the others. Including the hope of a good order being created out of the chaos that was inherent to the Technomages.

And of course, it helps answer some of the improbabilities of the events that transpired with Sheridan's visit to Z'Ha'Dum.

Share your thoughts, and rate the books in the poll.

Last edited by Alioth; April 23rd 11 at 02:55.
Alioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd 11, 05:15   #2
Alioth
Commander

Re: Technomage Trilogy discussion thread

One thing I wondered, is if Bunny was supposed to be Talia after her cover was blown. Her physical description in the book seemed to hint it could be. She was a P-12 though, and I don't remember what rating Talia was supposed to be (or if it was a lower rating than the "real" unprogrammed Talia, somehow) but I think it was lower than Bester's (who was also a P-12 I think). And the time she first appeared in the trilogy seemed to be a bit earlier than when Talia was uncovered in B5 (toward the end of season 2 IIRC?). I'd have to reread that part and check that again though. Plus, Bester had (sort of) said she was "dissected" by the Psi Corps--that may have been a lie to get a rise out of Garibaldi though. That was in "Ship of Tears", which was well before her last appearance in the trilogy when she was supposedly hooked to a Shadow vessel herself (which was right before the events of "Z'ha'Dum").

My guess is they were different people altogether, but the description made it sound like it could have been her.

Another thing about the trilogy, is that it suggested the Shadows didn't know about the significance of Anna Sheridan until being informed by Bunny (who supposedly got that info from scanning Galen after he'd "merged" with Anna briefly--of course if Bunny were Talia she'd have known before that). But Morden had met with John Sheridan before that ("The Shadow of Z'ha'dum"), and I'm pretty sure Sheridan angrily showed Morden a picture of her at some point in the confrontation, but I'd have to check again to see if her name was also mentioned. But even without that, Morden knew from that confrontation that Sheridan's wife was among those on the Icarus, and so you'd think the Shadows would have found where they'd put her and "repurposed" her sooner. The time between the Morden-Sheridan confrontation (I think mid-season 2) and Z-day was well over a year, something which bothered me a little, although it thankfully gave John the time to get over her more completely so he wouldn't be as vulnerable to her reappearance.

Last edited by Alioth; April 23rd 11 at 05:23.
Old April 23rd 11, 08:44   #3
KoshN

I'd also rate the Centauri trilogy an 'A.' The Psi Corps trilogy, a B- or C+.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th 11, 00:49   #4
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

I thought the technomage trilogy was the most consistent of the bunch. J. Gregory Keys' Telepath trilogy started out stronger, and I think he's a better writer, but kinda' fizzled at the end.
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th 11, 21:08   #5
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioth View Post
One thing I wondered, is if Bunny was supposed to be Talia after her cover was blown. Her physical description in the book seemed to hint it could be. She was a P-12 though, and I don't remember what rating Talia was supposed to be (or if it was a lower rating than the "real" unprogrammed Talia, somehow) but I think it was lower than Bester's (who was also a P-12 I think). And the time she first appeared in the trilogy seemed to be a bit earlier than when Talia was uncovered in B5 (toward the end of season 2 IIRC?). I'd have to reread that part and check that again though. Plus, Bester had (sort of) said she was "dissected" by the Psi Corps--that may have been a lie to get a rise out of Garibaldi though. That was in "Ship of Tears", which was well before her last appearance in the trilogy when she was supposedly hooked to a Shadow vessel herself (which was right before the events of "Z'ha'Dum").

My guess is they were different people altogether, but the description made it sound like it could have been her.

Another thing about the trilogy, is that it suggested the Shadows didn't know about the significance of Anna Sheridan until being informed by Bunny (who supposedly got that info from scanning Galen after he'd "merged" with Anna briefly--of course if Bunny were Talia she'd have known before that). But Morden had met with John Sheridan before that ("The Shadow of Z'ha'dum"), and I'm pretty sure Sheridan angrily showed Morden a picture of her at some point in the confrontation, but I'd have to check again to see if her name was also mentioned. But even without that, Morden knew from that confrontation that Sheridan's wife was among those on the Icarus, and so you'd think the Shadows would have found where they'd put her and "repurposed" her sooner. The time between the Morden-Sheridan confrontation (I think mid-season 2) and Z-day was well over a year, something which bothered me a little, although it thankfully gave John the time to get over her more completely so he wouldn't be as vulnerable to her reappearance.
Talia started out as a P5 and ended up as a P-off_the_scale. She was an adult and had worked as a commercial telepath for at least a decade before arriving on Babylon 5.
Bunny had a P12 rating but was a naive girl. They are different females.

Having been away from Earth for several years Morden may not have known the importance of Captain Sheridan.
Old April 27th 11, 19:04   #6
RW7427

I loved the technomage trilogy. It's been quite a while since I read it, so I don't remember everything that goes on in it. But I do remember getting to read a lot about Galen, and it was nice to get more of a glimpse into his character than what B5 or Crusade provided.
Old May 28th 11, 15:05   #7
Mentallooser
Lurker

I absolutely love B5. I even liked Crusade quite a bit though it didn't have enough time to develop to get the same sort of following from me that B5 did. The Technomage Trilogy is easily my favorite thing from the B5 universe though. The story is fun, Galen's character evolution is great, and watching some of the smaller things that are going on during these B5 episodes is a treat. Where these books really won me over was the insight into the minds of the first ones. That was always my favorite part of the show, and learning more about their history did me wonders.
Mentallooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd 11, 08:49   #8
deaded
Telepath

I loved these books. I think of myself as critical but I still rate these among my favorite books and I give them 10/10. I read them twice. My son and I are now watching B5, first time for him (age 13), and we are near the beginning of season 5 (just watched Strange Relations). He loves it. He's very into reading now and I've promised him these books but first we need to finish season 5, watch the B5 movies, and then Crusade.

Galen is one of my favorite characters in the B5 universe and he is the main reason I miss Crusade. I've never been into fantasy that much, I'm pretty much a hard sci-fi guy, but this techno mage thing really caught me and opened up some doors (I still don't like fantasy but I'm not as critical anymore. Embarrassingly, Jonn Ringo's stuff has been lots of fun to read).

I wish I could find the B5 books in some kind of eBook format because he likes to do all his reading on the iPad, but I can't so he may have to resort to dead trees. I'm glad I kept the books. I might read them again myself. It's been 10 years or so.

Last edited by deaded; June 3rd 11 at 09:14.
deaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th 11, 06:40   #9
Alioth
Commander

One thing I didn't like in the trilogy--the implication that Morden was coerced to work for the Shadows because they were holding the prospect of recovering his wife and family (disappeared in some starship accident) over his head. In the show, he certainly acts like he enjoys his work very much, and believes very much in it and in the ideals of the Shadows--and is in fact a natural at the work he's doing, a glib, manipulative, and charismatic salesman/dealmaker who's probably done similar things before he ever met the Shadows (although he was an archaeologist, I guess, but he certainly had those kind of interpersonal skills). Even when we see him come back from the grave in "Day of the Dead", we see no kind of remorse or regret, as one would probably have if there was coercion--he still plays the same kind of mind games with Lennier, because, well, he can.

No, I always figured that in the Icarus crew of 100 or however many people, there would be at least one who, when presented with the choice of serving a powerful race in exchange for the potential personal power they'd reward him with in their ascension, would do so. Morden came across very much like a sociopath (and I've known a few of these in my life), which statistics suggest we would find 3 or 4 of out of 100. Not to mention that, sociopath or not, the ideology of the Shadows and what they supposedly wanted to do for Humans would appeal to some people as well--Justin was probably a sincere believer anyway, while Morden was probably more an opportunist than anything who didn't seem to need his arm twisted, but could go along with the philosophy too because his type could thrive in that framework.

Trying to sugarcoat Morden didn't seem at all necessary, and didn't reflect the character we saw in the show. Others here agree? I mean, if we want, we can still pity him as a sociopath, because sociopaths don't have the emotional and spiritual capacity to experience the wonders of love or giving or true friendship, and often--as Morden did--die alone and hated.

Last edited by Alioth; June 19th 11 at 07:18.
Old June 19th 11, 07:41   #10
vacantlook

I agree re: Morden. In the show, he most definitely is a smarmy ass that likes what he's doing. Giving him a sympathetic reason for doing what he does not match up to his attitude on the show while doing it.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote