B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old September 13th 10, 14:02   #1
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Unproduced scripts?

I know there's at least two JMS-penned unfilmed B5 scripts that remain unpublished: There's the Garibaldi story from "Lost Tales," and there's the movie script for "The Memory of Shadows." Obviously, neither of those will ever be filmed, but I'm curious if anyone's read 'em? There's also an unfilmed Peter David script from Season 5, and at least one or two other unfilmed Crusade scripts that never made it on Bookface.

I know they're moldering away in a file somewhere in Warners, but SF scripts have a tendency to leak. For instance, I read JMS "World War Z" script a year or so ago, and reviewed it for my site (He asked me to take it down, so I did).

So: Has anyone seen any of these? I'd really like to read what I didn't get to see.
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th 10, 15:18   #2
vacantlook

Re: Unproduced scripts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
I know there's at least two JMS-penned unfilmed B5 scripts that remain unpublished: There's the Garibaldi story from "Lost Tales," and there's the movie script for "The Memory of Shadows." Obviously, neither of those will ever be filmed, but I'm curious if anyone's read 'em? There's also an unfilmed Peter David script from Season 5, and at least one or two other unfilmed Crusade scripts that never made it on Bookface.

I know they're moldering away in a file somewhere in Warners, but SF scripts have a tendency to leak. For instance, I read JMS "World War Z" script a year or so ago, and reviewed it for my site (He asked me to take it down, so I did).

So: Has anyone seen any of these? I'd really like to read what I didn't get to see.
The Garibaldi "Lost Tales" script was in the TV Movies volume of the scriptbooks.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th 10, 15:58   #3
Jan
Psi Cop

The two unproduced JMS Crusade scripts and the Fiona Avery script "Value Judgments" did appear on Bookface. Those are the only completed scripts that were put up. Other scripts were in the works but may not have been completed. Plans are for them to be printed in upcoming 'Crusade: What the Hell Happened?' volumes.

Lots of folks have asked about the TMoS script but there's been no word from JMS as to whether it might ever be published. It may depend on whether the entity who commissioned the script was a signatory of the WGA agreement which includes the Separation of Rights clause which allowed JMS to publish his B5 & Crusade scripts without WB approval.

ETA - RE: Gut Reactions by Peter David and Bill Mumy, I've written a synopsis of the script if anybody wants me to send that to them via PM or email. I won't post it online and I don't share scripts (since it's copyrighted material and illegal.)

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole

Last edited by Jan; September 13th 10 at 16:06.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th 10, 16:09   #4
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
The two unproduced JMS Crusade scripts and the Fiona Avery script "Value Judgments" did appear on Bookface. Those are the only completed scripts that were put up. Other scripts were in the works but may not have been completed. Plans are for them to be printed in upcoming 'Crusade: What the Hell Happened?' volumes.

Lots of folks have asked about the TMoS script but there's been no word from JMS as to whether it might ever be published. It may depend on whether the entity who commissioned the script was a signatory of the WGA agreement which includes the Separation of Rights clause which allowed JMS to publish his B5 & Crusade scripts without WB approval.

Jan
Yeah, I knew about the Bookface ones. There were at least three others in various stages of completion when the show was axed, all from the end of the season. At least one of these was complete, though I'd be surprised if it got past the first draft stage, and was part of a rather vaguely-defined mini-arc that would have comprised eps 19-21. It was the middle one. Sounded like a bit of a bottle show to me. And of course there's the unfilmed Garibaldi-on-Mars story.

JMS *Did* tell me that TMOS will *NOT* be filmed, and won't appear in comic form or any other form. Even if he's got the rights, I'd be very, very, very surprised if he'll publish it. I'm not sure why, that's just the feeling I get.
Old September 13th 10, 16:09   #5
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post

The Garibaldi "Lost Tales" script was in the TV Movies volume of the scriptbooks.
Was it? Kickass! I had no idea! Anyone got a copy? [CENSORED] What's the title of that script, by the way?

Last edited by Republibot 3.0; September 13th 10 at 17:27.
Old September 13th 10, 16:27   #6
Jan
Psi Cop

Republibot, it really is illegal to copy that sort of thing so it's unwise to solicit it.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Old September 13th 10, 17:28   #7
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Republibot, it really is illegal to copy that sort of thing so it's unwise to solicit it.

Jan
Solicit an illegal copy? I did no such thing, as you can plainly see from my newly-self-censored message above.

Seriously, though, thank you for pointing that out. My enthusiasm got the better of my common sense.
Old September 13th 10, 17:42   #8
Jan
Psi Cop

I see...my mistake, much apologizings.

As I recall, the overall title for the three Lost Tales was "Voices in the Dark" which would have been particularly apt for the Garibaldi segment. I don't know where the 'over here/over there' thing came from that showed up on the DVDs but it wasn't on the scripts.

Jan
Old September 13th 10, 18:25   #9
vacantlook

Can't reproduce the Garibaldi Lost Tales script, but I can give you a synopsis of the story, if you want.

Spoiler for unproduced Garibaldi Lost Tales script:
The nuts and bolts of it is that as head of Edgars Industries, Garibaldi's attention is drawn to some excavation the company was doing on Mars. He went to personally investigate, and after a cave-in or some such he found a huge abandoned city deep underground. While there, a tall, skinny, bronze-skinned Martian appeared to him telling him something about how humanity is their children and they've been watching them and might see them again one day. The martian and the city then disappear or crumble to dust or something like that, and Garibaldi is left having had this experience alone to be rescued by rescue personnel with no proof of the existence of the Martians.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th 10, 18:40   #10
Jan
Psi Cop

I was right. The overall title for the Lost Tales script was "Voices in the Dark" and each segment was simply numbered. The Garibaldi segment was the middle one, segment 2.

Jan