B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.related

Old December 31st 09, 14:51   #11
KoshN

Re: If you could re-score B5...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Baxter View Post
ok kosh, i gotta ask...what does alien music sound like!
alien (adj.): foreign, strange, exotic, unusual, bizarre, unfamiliar, weird, out of place, etc.. Gives one an uneasy, off-balance feeling, sense of foreboding. etc.

[Kosh musical notes] Impudent human. [/Kosh musical notes]
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st 09, 17:17   #12
Kara Baxter
Telepath

impudent human??

[i don't actually have a musical score when i talk...damn gotta get me one of those]

Kara Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st 09, 18:09   #13
KoshN

Quote:
impudent human??
[Kosh musical notes] Yes. [/Kosh musical notes]

http://b5.cs.uwyo.edu/bab5/snds/impudent.wav

http://b5.cs.uwyo.edu/bab5/snds/musckosh.wav
(Actually, I'd cut that dowm. It starts out kinda crappy.)
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; December 31st 09 at 18:22.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd 10, 21:52   #14
B5_Obsessed
First One

[QUOTE=KoshN;354585]
Quote:
ok kosh, i gotta ask...what does alien music sound like!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hLarHt6wi8
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd 10, 22:00   #15
B5_Obsessed
First One

I agree about Franke on Season 1; his music was a bit heavy handed and a touch too electronic in places, but there were flashes of brilliance even back then. Music is one of my favorite elements from B5 - one I feel the later Star Trek shows didn't properly respect. And the Sky is Full of Stars, Confessions and Lamentations, The Long Twilight Struggle, Z'ha'Dum, Severed Dreams, even Thirdspace, and of course Sleeping in Light have some excellent music in them.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th 10, 11:12   #16
GaribaldisHair
First One

B5 was pretty much the first TV show whose music I could happily listen to over and over without the pictures. That, for me, says everything about how good Franke's music is, as music. The fact that it also fits the action on screen so well is just genius ... so often you get one or the other.

Cake or death?

Last edited by GaribaldisHair; January 7th 10 at 11:15.
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th 10, 05:43   #17
dencor
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to dencor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaribaldisHair View Post
B5 was pretty much the first TV show whose music I could happily listen to over and over without the pictures. That, for me, says everything about how good Franke's music is, as music. The fact that it also fits the action on screen so well is just genius ... so often you get one or the other.
I agree. Franke's music does blend in well with what we saw on the screen. Rarely did his music try to overwhelm what was going on in a particular episode. My favorite episodic cds are Sleeping in Light, Objects at Rest, Interludes and Examinations and the Coming of Shadows. I still listen to SIL, almost daily. It calms the soul.
dencor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th 10, 03:55   #18
AMRA
Ranger

To me C. Franke's music for B5 should be the music/sound for the Babylon Universe, but then again I am a Tangerine Dream fan.

None the less the soundtracks created by Franke should be in some degree incorporated into all Babylon Universe stories. There I said it again!

The soundtrack for the Crusade was okay, but it just didn't give the show presents. Franke's music gave Babylon 5 a distinct sound that pull you into each scene effortlessly. To me the soundtrack for Crusade was one of the reason the show failed. At times it was just to distracting, no matter how good the story was or the acting. The soundtrack often had me wondering if I was watching a show connected to B5.

The music for Crusade was okay, it just wasn't Babylon 5.

The soundtrack for Lost Tales and Rangers were good.

I've got the soundtracks on the way in the mail for Lost Tales and Legend of the Rangers. Looking forward to checking them out.

Is there any one who has all the soundtracks for all the series?
AMRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th 10, 11:48   #19
GaribaldisHair
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMRA View Post
The soundtrack for the Crusade was okay, but it just didn't give the show presents. Franke's music gave Babylon 5 a distinct sound that pull you into each scene effortlessly. To me the soundtrack for Crusade was one of the reason the show failed. At times it was just to distracting, no matter how good the story was or the acting.
It was no more distracting to me than Franke's first season scores for B5, which also failed to hit the mark on a number of occasions, as he was getting to grips with what was required.

Quote:
The soundtrack often had me wondering if I was watching a show connected to B5.

The music for Crusade was okay, it just wasn't Babylon 5.
Which was essentially the effect that JMS was going for.

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th 10, 20:42   #20
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
I agree about Franke on Season 1; his music was a bit heavy handed and a touch too electronic in places, but there were flashes of brilliance even back then. Music is one of my favorite elements from B5 - one I feel the later Star Trek shows didn't properly respect. And the Sky is Full of Stars, Confessions and Lamentations, The Long Twilight Struggle, Z'ha'Dum, Severed Dreams, even Thirdspace, and of course Sleeping in Light have some excellent music in them.
Not me, boy! I found the music bland and pointless and frequently annoying. I blame most of that on the strictures Franke was working under, but frankly (hah!) a lot of his stuff sounds like rejected Tangerine Dream cuts. Basically, the first piece of music from the show I liked was when the marines were breaching B5 in "Severed Dreams."

I did *really* like the season 5 opening theme, however.

I tend to think a show this heavily character-based needs a little leitmotif.
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote