B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old October 29th 09, 17:03   #1
Matthew
Ranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 39
Delen's Rings

In the newest "Asked & Answered" book (part 4), page 1406, the first question on that pages says: "are there any subtle details we should look for in the pilot?"

JMS answers:

"look for a contradiction, numerically, between what Delenn notes in the Zen Garden, and what is actually there...between what she says, and what is...look at the case of rings in Delenn's quarters...note the color of the ring that is at the very top center of the circle of rings (this won't come into play for a long, LONG time, but we had to get it right now)..."

what is the numerical contradiction?

even though the rings were ditched, anyone know what the ring color may have meant?
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd 09, 07:32   #2
Infested Londo
First One
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Rehovot
Posts: 151
Re: Delen's Rings

No idea. Sorry, no one answered so I figured you might as well not be alone here!
__________________
- "You mean you don't... You haven't..."
- "Yes..."
- "You're a..."
- "Exactly."
- "With anyone???"
- "Never met the right person before..."
- "Wow... I thought the first ones were rare"

Ivanova & Marcus, S4 EP3 - "The Summoning".
Infested Londo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th 09, 23:44   #3
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,540
Re: Delen's Rings

Well, Delenn was building the crysalis machine in the pilot, so clearly the ring in question wasn't a "Crysalis" machine. JMS's memo to the studio execs about where the show was going doesn't mention the rings at all, but goes in to a lot of detail about other stuff, but none of it seems to be something that would really relate, or would be really predicated by the rings.

I haven't got a clue, but I'll think on it.
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th 09, 00:09   #4
A_M_Swallow
First One
 
A_M_Swallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Christchurch, Dorset, England
Posts: 4,616
Re: Delen's Rings

The rings were gravity rings. The Minbari ships had artificial gravity, the connection may be there.
__________________
Andrew Swallow
A_M_Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th 09, 16:12   #5
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,540
Re: Delen's Rings

Well, *one* of them was a gravity ring. It's never stated what the others were for.
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th 09, 08:27   #6
JoeD80
Commander
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 173
Re: Delen's Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
"look for a contradiction, numerically, between what Delenn notes in the Zen Garden, and what is actually there...between what she says, and what is...look at the case of rings in Delenn's quarters...note the color of the ring that is at the very top center of the circle of rings (this won't come into play for a long, LONG time, but we had to get it right now)..."

what is the numerical contradiction??
The numerical contradiction is that Delenn says a "single stone" changes the pattern of the garden, but there are two stones in the garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
even though the rings were ditched, anyone know what the ring color may have meant?
The only other clue about the rings I have seen is Joe's post on May 12th 1993:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms
We'll learn what most of the rings do. The last will be the black
ring.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th 09, 17:56   #7
Matthew
Ranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 39
Re: Delen's Rings

Thanks Joe!

I just fired up the original (not special) edition of "The Gathering" and it is indeed the black ring at the very top...now I'm more curious than ever!

As for the stones, why would she mention one when there are two? Since the series changed so much, I'm sure that thread was dropped. Perhaps it was meant to portray that Sinclair and the female Delenn (was male originally) would actually change the world?

Last edited by Matthew; December 10th 09 at 17:59.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th 09, 16:57   #8
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,540
Re: Delen's Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

As for the stones, why would she mention one when there are two? Since the series changed so much, I'm sure that thread was dropped. Perhaps it was meant to portray that Sinclair and the female Delenn (was male originally) would actually change the world?
I'm sure that's it.

We should make a list of questions we'd like JMS to answer.

In fact, I think I'll go do that now...
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2018 B5TV.COM