B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old June 23rd 09, 11:05   #1
Lyta's Shadow
Lurker

JMS Leaves "World War Z"

J. Michael Straczynski no longer on World War Z

After Quantum of Solace director Marc Forster noted recently that the script for the upcoming adaptation of Max Brooks's World War Z wasn't yet at a position where filming could begin, J. Michael Straczynski has confirmed that he is no longer actively working on the script.

In response to a fan question about Brooks's statement that the Babylon 5 creator was not involved, Straczynski posted to say that this is a normal part of the feature business, "especially once a director comes on board, who may have ideas of his own that he wants to incorporate and the original writer has gone through all the contractual drafts, so that either you re-hire the same guy, or bring in fresh eyes."

As a consequence of Forster's hiring, "another pair of hands is now working to simplify the script, which has always been as much a political thriller as an action film, into something a bit more straightforward."

http://totalscifionline.com/news/365...on-world-war-z
Lyta's Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd 09, 11:10   #2
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: JMS Leaves "World War Z"

The full post by JMS can be found here.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd 09, 15:47   #3
Sindatur
Techno-mage

That sucks. They're watering (or dumbing) his script down?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd 09, 15:51   #4
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
They're watering (or dumbing) his script down?
Sounds like it to me. Disappointing, but not surprising, I guess. It'll probably end up being a generic zombie movie now. Well, at least I now don't have to bother with feeling like I should go see it.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd 09, 15:58   #5
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
Sounds like it to me. Disappointing, but not surprising, I guess. It'll probably end up being a generic zombie movie now. Well, at least I now don't have to bother with feeling like I should go see it.
We've been really, really looking forward to it. Zombie movies are our favorite Horror Genre, and an intelligent one written by JMS, could've been one of the best ever
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd 09, 20:03   #6
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Man, the political/cultural stuff is the best part of the whole piece...

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd 09, 20:08   #7
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Man, the political/cultural stuff is the best part of the whole piece...
Aside from jms being involved, that was the main thing that had me interested in this story. I haven't read the book, but I was interested in seeing a zombie movie that wasn't about a group of miscellaneous people running around killing and being killed by zombies. The whole political angle to the story made me think the story would be about human reactions and not about miscellaneous violence.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th 09, 13:24   #8
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Big shame, his script got massive props. Was probably not seen as marketable by the suits. Hope this is not the start of a trend ...

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th 09, 17:27   #9
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
The whole political angle to the story made me think the story would be about human reactions and not about miscellaneous violence.
Oh, yeah, in the book it's amazingly fraught with significance. The people who save the human race? White South Africans. Why? Because they've always expected a massive uprising of people they consider subhuman...

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd 09, 12:33   #10
GaribaldisHair
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyta's Shadow View Post
"another pair of hands is now working to simplify the script ... into something a bit more straightforward."
This is one of those books I have been meaning to get around to reading precisely because everything I have read about it says that it isn't simple and straightforward and has a depth to it that you don't get in your standard zombie story.

Would be a real shame if the movie makes no effort to reflect that.

I would certainly have gone to see a JMS scripted World War Z (especially after the reviews the script itself has received online) but I am not interested enough in zombie movies to even bother if it just going to be another one in the production line.

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote