B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old November 2nd 09, 17:33   #11
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: Babylon 5 - Sleeping in Light - The End

Oh, well, it's easy enough to fan-wank another problem into the 20 years; my own personal take is that Garibaldi and Sheridan have different approaches to parenting, and got into a fight over how Sheridan's raising David.

But when JMS didn't know he was going to get Season 5, he knew he had alude to the differences between the two men somehow. Because while his outline did prevail usually, reality trumped it, and I'm pretty sure this was one of those times. Not a glitch at all, he did it quite intentionally when he though he wouldn't have a chance to have Sheridan and Garibaldi speak between Sheridan's rescue and SiL.

I've been over the SiL page on the Lurker's Guide several times now, and I could have sworn he explained it all, but it seems that page has been altered since last I looked. For one thing, the explanation of the duck at the top of the page is gone.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd 09, 18:12   #12
Infested Londo
First One

So you're saying JMS thought they wouldn't have time to patch things up in 10 years? And again, if so, why did he clear the air between them during the 5th season? Obviously he remembered the bad blood between them in SiL...

Look, I'm not one of those crazy fans who can't believe JMS is capable of making a mistake - He is, and he did - But I don't think this is one of them, nor do I recognize any other glitches caused by SiL being filmed at the end of S4.
- "Exactly."
- "With anyone???"
- "Never met the right person before..."
- "Wow... I thought the first ones were rare"

Ivanova & Marcus, S4 EP3 - "The Summoning".
Infested Londo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd 09, 18:13   #13
Infested Londo
First One

Earlier I referred to the gap as "10 years"... Obviously I meant "20 years". My glitch
- "Exactly."
- "With anyone???"

Old November 2nd 09, 20:26   #14
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infested Londo View Post
So you're saying JMS thought they wouldn't have time to patch things up in 10 years? And again, if so, why did he clear the air between them during the 5th season? Obviously he remembered the bad blood between them in SiL...

Look, I'm not one of those crazy fans who can't believe JMS is capable of making a mistake - He is, and he did - But I don't think this is one of them, nor do I recognize any other glitches caused by SiL being filmed at the end of S4.
This debate probably isn't worth losing any sleep over... but I'm still convinced I saw something somewhere where JMS said that's why the Franklin/Garibaldi exchange is in there.

Again, by the dictates of the story, you're absolutely right. But SiL was filmed on the assumption that there would be no season 5. As far as I can recall, after Sheridan's rescue he and Garibaldi don't get any screen time together before the finale -- in other words, where SiL would have aired if there had been no continuation. So while logically you're quite correct, obviously they could have talked things through in the ensuing decades. But it would have been even weirder for audiences to go from "Garibaldi, I was gonna kick your ass!" to lifelong friends without something being said to explain it. You know how us fans like to pick stuff apart...

However, it would be equally illogical for them to not talk all through Season 5. JMS was not such a slave to continuity that he'd have them fight all year just to maintain one line in the finale. Which is why they do indeed reconnect -- although if you note, their S5 relationship is a bit rougher.

And once SiL was filmed, they didn't have the time/money to go back and change it (notice JMS never managed to do the Soviet revisionism he wanted and re-film Beth Toussant's Anna with Melissa Gilbert instead; an even more glaring continuity error; again no money or time). So the season-four relevance of the exchange was no longer necessary but was still there.

Hence, glitch.

A perhaps more unfortunate one is actually in "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" -- they'd paid Claudia for a full season, and since SiL was technically a fourth-season ep, they couldn't have her in Deconstruction. So in a way the biggest glitch caused by SiL aired a year before the episode did.

The Generous Grasp
Old November 2nd 09, 20:30   #15
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
I've been over the SiL page on the Lurker's Guide several times now, and I could have sworn he explained it all, but it seems that page has been altered since last I looked. For one thing, the explanation of the duck at the top of the page is gone.
If this is the same page you were on, it's still there. Follow the link directly above the "JMS Speaks" section.

ETA: Never mind. The link's broken.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole

Last edited by Jan; November 2nd 09 at 20:33.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd 09, 21:44   #16
Infested Londo
First One

I don't think not having her in deconstructions is a glitch... There could be other reasons for whateverhisnameis to not want to bring her back. Maybe the fact she was a telepath? I don't know. JMS could've come up with all sorts of crap, and in any way I don't think it's relevant.

Hey, the fact they're being filmed by a guy with a camera is somewhat of a glitch as well, so... You know

I think we both stated our opinions.

BTW, what you said about their relationship being a bit "harder" in S5 is correct - Actually, I watched S5 and SiL unaware of the fact SiL was filmed for S4. And when Garibaldi said that line, my response was "huh, so there WAS something going on underneath between them all season"...

So you could say the glitch is not necessarily in the fact SiL was filmed in the end of S4, but in the fact that you fans knew about it
- "Exactly."
- "With anyone???"

Old November 2nd 09, 21:48   #17
Sindatur
Techno-mage

I do remember this being addressed, I kinda thought it was addressed in one of the books.

But, yea, as strenuous as the relationship was in S5, it could've always fell apart again

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd 09, 05:19   #18
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
ETA: Never mind. The link's broken.
That's what I meant. Thank goodness I remember it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infested Londo View Post
So you could say the glitch is not necessarily in the fact SiL was filmed in the end of S4, but in the fact that you fans knew about it
Heh. Indeed. Wouldn't be the first time seeing a bit too much beyond the curtain has hampered a performance.

The Generous Grasp
Old November 25th 09, 15:31   #19
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

I'm one of those people who didn't like "Sleeping In Light" - at first, anyway. I've grown to see the error of my ways.

About two years ago, I decided to introduce my older kids to B5, so we sat down and watched all the shows in subjective chronological order (Including putting "Day of the Dead" in its right location in S5), and I have to say it kind of moved me.

As I said, I didn't like "Sleeping in Light" back in '99. It was too intimate for me, to quiet and close to be following the sturm und drang of the last third of S5, it felt like the show had just run out of steam. Watching it again didn't improve it for me any.

However, watching it after everything else - the show, the movies, Rangers, Crusade, Lost Tales, "Beginning", it picked up a lot of resonance for me, it really moved me. It took me nearly a decade to get what JMS was going for with that episode, but when I finally was able to connect with it, it moved me in ways no other part of the franchise did. It was beautiful, and poignient, and it made me ache for all the cool stuff we were prevented from seeing.
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th 10, 06:12   #20
benisjamin33
Lurker

It seems that all of you have watched this show many times through, I just recently finished watching all of series, and I got to say I was extremely dissappointed with the last episode. I felt like there was something missing between "Objects At Rest" and "Sleeping In Light". I felt like they just addresssed all these new problems and then they just ended it. Lienner running of, Michael and Litta vs Psi Core, the pot Londo gave to Sheridan for his kid, G'Kar and Litta's adventure, and the Darkh on Centurie Prime. Now a couple of these we can solve are self with the flash forwards, like Delenn and Sherdian escaping from Centurie Prime with their son, and some of the books talking about Londos, but what about Lienner and the Psi Core problem? All the movies address new issues, except for "The Beginning", and it doesn't seem like there is any books that fill in these gaps. I guess I am more dissappointed not knowing what happened to one of my favorite characters in Lienner, and ticked that I couldn't see the badassness that would have been the Telepathy War.
benisjamin33 is offline   Reply With Quote