B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old August 30th 07, 16:28   #1
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

JMS and the BBC...

He was in the UK a while back meeting the BBC, around the time he talked about new series. I have been wondering at the back of my mind what this was about.

The BBC currently love sci-fi and being unoriginal ponce's, will probably commission loads more until even I am bored of it, although their recent Jekyll was great. It seems Wheadon's Ripper has finally been commissioned by the Beeb.

So what was he up to?

Potential ideas:

1) A mini-series with US backing along the lines of Rome
2) Blakes 7. Come on, Blakes 7 !!!!
3) An episode of Dr Who
4) A BBC series based upon one of his novels of comics. Midnight Nation would be great.
5) Something Marvel related. Captain Britain series based upon Alan Moore's comics ?

Just a bit of idle curiosity.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th 07, 16:32   #2
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Re: JMS and the BBC...

I would love a Blake's 7 redo (or even access to buy the Original on DVD in region 1)

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th 07, 18:33   #3
vacantlook

I could go for something Blake's 7-ish; just the other day I was thinking: "It'd be nice to be able to actually see Blake's 7" <insert sigh here>.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th 07, 18:37   #4
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
I could go for something Blake's 7-ish; just the other day I was thinking: "It'd be nice to be able to actually see Blake's 7" <insert sigh here>.
Ah, that's right. You're a younger one, and wouldn't have seen it on PBS back in the day, eh? I had piles of Dr. Who recorded on VHS (Almost everything from Romana 1 all the way through the end of the series, plus some other scattered eps here and there). After transferring all those to DVD, and finding one episode of Blake's 7 mixed, I found myself missing he series even more, and wishing I had recorded it on VHS as well, back in the day.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th 07, 19:31   #5
Elenopa
First One

I don't think we'll be seeing Blake's 7 anytime soon as they've just done a new audio version. (With Carrie Dobro in the cast)

http://www.scifi.co.uk/blakes7/

You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word - Marcus Cole

Always grab a chance and you won't be sorry for a might have been - Commander Ted Walker RN

T-shirts and gifts for Scout and Guide leaders
Official Babylon 5 quote gear from JMS
Elenopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th 07, 20:03   #6
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Blakes 7 can be found on youtube although it is not the best quality.

There was talk years ago about doing a next generation series with a couple of the original characters kids in it.

Would love to see anything related to Blakes 7 as long as it kept the quality of the original.One of the hardest sci-fi series ever and my favourite series ever as a kid.I know the BBC did a rerun of it a few years ago early on a Satuarday which fit in nicely with Football Focus which was a bonus

I wonder what it would be like with special effects

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th 07, 23:36   #7
hypatia
First One

Well, even if they did a remake and it really was horrible, it might encourage them to release the original, as well.

That's probably our best hope.

You know, there was a little gem of a tv-movie made for PBS one year a long time ago. It was of the novel Lathe of Heaven written by Ursula K. LeGwyn.

For years fans begged for it to be shown again or released on vhs, but it looked like it never would happen. It turned out there was some legal problem with getting the rights and all of that. Finally, like twenty years after it's original airing, was it available again.

I wonder if that's the problem with Blake's 7, or if they just don't know how much money it would generate?

Are we in a very small minority? I don't know. But EVERY sci-fi fan I know would "love to see it (again if they've seen it before)". It's a classic, and it just seems odd it isn't available for historical reasons at least.

Ah well. I guess I"m lucky they finally released "Lathe".
Old August 31st 07, 00:12   #8
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Is that not LeGuin

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st 07, 03:48   #9
hypatia
First One

Probably. It was a long time ago.

But it is an excellent story.
Old August 31st 07, 07:14   #10
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Its available on R2, and you can import on Amazon US.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blakes-7-1-D.../dp/B000085RK5

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote