B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old October 30th 08, 20:43   #1
BGLamb
Lurker

Story Arc highlights...

Hi,

A friend of mine has lent me the whole 5-series of babylon 5 recently and I'm finally going to get a chance to watch it properly next week.

I caught a few when they were on TV originally, nd have been really looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, my time-span is going to be limited, and I'm only going to get a chance to watch maybe half of the episodes.

I was wondering if you guys had any pointers on which ones are worth watching, and which ones are worth missing.

Obviously, anything integral to the overall story-arc is a must, but I've no idea what's what without reading episode-synopses' and that would kinda spoil it.

Let me know what you all think.
BGLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th 08, 22:33   #2
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: Story Arc highlights...

Is there a reason why you feel you have to watch the whole thing in a certain amount of time? Because I honestly think that you simply won't get anything out of the series without actually watching the series. There are so many things that seem to be offhand, incidental remarks or events that turn out to be important that you really can't, or shouldn't at least, cherry pick. Fans have tried to find episodes with absolutely no arc-related stuff and they couldn't.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st 08, 01:24   #3
Ninja_Squirrel
First One

This seems to be the classic dilemma among fans. If you don't watch every episode, which ones do you leave out? Everyone's got a different answer. Jan's right that the whole series is valuable. Season one is a lot of build up, and season five is a lot of aftermath. The middle three seasons are the real core of the show. But, without season one, you may not understand the middle as much, and without season five, you may not feel as much payoff.

Off the top of my head, these are the episodes that are the most important or my most favorite (the ones with an asterisk are the really crucial ones)...

Prequel Movie:
* In the Beginning (but, do you watch it first or later; another classic fan dilemma)

Pilot Movie:
* The Gathering

Season One:
- Midnight on the Firing Line
- The Parliament of Dreams
* Mind War
** And the Sky Full of Stars
- Deathwalker
** Signs and Portents
* A Voice in the Wilderness, part 1
* A Voice in the Wilderness, part 2
*** Babylon Squared
- The Quality of Mercy
*** Chrysalis

Season Two:
** Points of Departure
** Revelations
- The Geometry of Shadows
- Soul Mates
*** The Coming of Shadows
- GROPOS
- There All Honor Lies
- And Now For a Word
*** In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum
- Knives
- Confessions and Lamentations
- Divided Loyalties
*** The Long Twilight Struggle
- Comes the Inquisitor
*** The Fall of Night

Season Three:
- Matters of Honor
- Passing Through Gethsemane
* Voices of Authority
** Dust to Dust
*** Messages From Earth
*** Point of No Return
*** Severed Dreams
* Ceremonies of Light and Dark
- Ship of Tears
*** Interludes and Examinations
*** War Without End, part 1
*** War Without End, part 2
- Walkabout
* And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place
** Shadow Dancing
*** Z'Ha'Dum

Season Four:
*** The Hour of the Wolf
*** Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?
*** The Summoning
*** Falling Toward Apotheosis
*** The Long Night
*** Into the Fire
- Epiphanies
- The Illusion of Truth
* Atonement
** No Surrender, No Retreat
** Face of the Enemy
** Between the Darkness and the Light
*** Endgame
** Rising Star
* The Deconstruction of Falling Stars

Season Five:
- No Compromises
- The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari
* Darkness Ascending
* And All My Dreams Torn Asunder
** Movements of Fire and Shadow
*** The Fall of Centauri Prime
* Wheel of Fire
** Objects in Motion
** Objects at Rest
*** Sleeping in Light

"Tough Calls"
- Seasons 1 & 2 have a few clunker episodes, but sometimes even they have important stuff in them
- There are probably excellent or important episodes I left out because I don't immediately associate the subplots or great moments with just the episode titles (and, I'm tired right now). Again, this was off the top of my head.
- To me, the middle five eps of s4 (between Atonement and No Surrender) blend together. I can never remember which episode is which, so I left them out. You would need to see at least one of them.
- I left out Intersections in Real Time because it's one of my Top 3 Least Favorite Episodes, but it is kind of important. (Also, a point of contention among fans; some count it as one of their favorites.)
- Season one's Soul Hunter is another of my bottom three but also somewhat important.
- I left out a lot of early s5. Most fans agree that the telepath subplot is a week point in the series, but if you skip as much of early s5 as I left out, you'll be lost on Lyta's character by the time you get to Wheel of Fire.
- They may not be crucial to the story arc, but I count Passing Through Gethsemane and Confessions and Lamentations as being the two best and most un-skipable stand-alone episodes.
Old October 31st 08, 10:25   #4
BGLamb
Lurker

I know what you're saying Jan, and I'm definately a completist at heart who'd love to watch the whole thing. I'm just being visited by a friend who's only going to be in the country for a week. Rather than watch the first 2 series and miss the last 3, I'd like to try and get as much as possible watched through-out, since I don't know when I'll get another chance to watch it.

Thanks for that list Ninja Squirrel. It looks like a good starting point.
BGLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st 08, 11:38   #5
ALeafOnTheWind
Ranger

The Gathering is really crucial to watch? No offence, but to me it's amazing this show got made after how crappy this pilot episode was.
ALeafOnTheWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st 08, 11:39   #6
Ranger1
Telepath

if you are watching it for the first time you simply can't cherry pick stuff,because when you do view it in full you will feel completely cheated.

"when ejaculating, it is considered gentlemanly to avoid the eyes"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st 08, 12:05   #7
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALeafOnTheWind View Post
The Gathering is really crucial to watch? No offence, but to me it's amazing this show got made after how crappy this pilot episode was.
I think it is. It sets up the mystery/motivation of the Minbari for one and nicely showcases all of the main characters.

Keep in mind that "The Gathering" was a pilot setting up an entirely new universe. It didn't have the luxury that the later Treks did, in that many of the specifics of the universe are already well known. In order to do that, the story had to be fairly basic but I do like that it's not just a straightforward mystery.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st 08, 12:50   #8
Recoil
First One

Why don't you watch the first two seasons or so, then run out and buy the rest on DVD as you have time? They aren't _that_ expensive as some DVD sets.
Old October 31st 08, 13:58   #9
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

And me, I saw the series only gradually, probably over the course of six or seven years.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st 08, 16:46   #10
GaribaldisHair
First One

Yeah and I watched it at a maximum rate of one episode per week over five years or so. Imagine that.

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote