B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old August 12th 08, 19:04   #31
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad
Re: The Best Guest Characters in B5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
It salutes her even.
No... I don't believe that's a statement of peaceful intent, I do believe he's preparing to joust!!!!!!!

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th 08, 05:06   #32
hypatia
First One

So, which is more influential to you? Appreciation of the sexual attraction, or appreciation of... well, everything else? When it comes to who you considered the one best guest character, is it sexual attraction that wins out?

I'm always interesting in what motivates the majority of the audience.

To clarify, I recall clearly (and painfully) seeing the movie "Dune" when it originally came out and then again many years later. When it originally came out, I admit to having a crush on Kyle MacLachlan.

Seeing it again, many years later, I was actually embarrassed at how different the entire movie seemed to be to me. Why, someone snuck in and rewrote, reshot, and re-edited the entire film, right? I mean, the character of Paul just wasn't the same brilliant character I'd seen in my younger years, was it?

And if JMS had ever been cheap enough to write a lousy part for Patrick Stewart, but with a brilliant shower scene, would I have recognized it as such?

And one more thought on the issue: some shows are rather obvious in their planting of certain characters in hopes of attracting certain "hormonal" audiences. Let's face it, was the character of Checkov in the original Star Trek series really put in as a gesture of respect to the Russians and their space program? With that awful wig he wore at first? Or was the character added in hopes of attracting more of the hormonal young girls to the show?

Personally, I think Walter Koenig was lucky to get even a single good line or moment in the entire show, considering what (I think) his character was created to do.

And I must say, though the scene in Star Trek the Next Generation that showed the most "skin" of you-know-who was anything but sexy (the Cardassian/Picard torture episodes) and was brilliantly acted, if JMS had written an awful episode guest starring Patrick Stewart on his worst day in the weakest acting moment of his life, would I have recognized it as such? Would I still consider Brother Edwards to be the best guest character that B5 ever had? Or would Brad Dourif's acting and the character of Brother Edwards been quickly forgotten by me?

No comment.

Last edited by hypatia; August 13th 08 at 08:52.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th 08, 14:37   #33
GKarsEye
First One

Why must you over-analyze my penis joke.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th 08, 15:35   #34
hypatia
First One

I just sense there must be a deeper meaning, as they are so prevalent.

That and I couldn't sleep, and was bored.
Old August 13th 08, 16:04   #35
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Adira is without question the hottest guest star (she taught me that my ponytail addiction can even counteract baldness), but her acting just wasn't that great.

(I have been known, however, to watch really appalling movies in pursuit of prettiness; one evening when I was channel-surfing, I even watched parts of "Bring it On," solely because Eliza Dushku's in it.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th 08, 16:24   #36
Recoil
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
(I have been known, however, to watch really appalling movies in pursuit of prettiness; one evening when I was channel-surfing, I even watched parts of "Bring it On," solely because Eliza Dushku's in it.
I've done the same thing on occasion. My most recent one was watching Missy Peregrym in "Stick it." (BTW that movie wasn't about what I thought it was going to be about). The movie itself wasn't that great, but she was STACKED in it. She was in phenomenal shape (clearly worked out to have the body of a gymnast). I enjoyed just watching her and sort of dismissed the movie itself. It did, however, have a somewhat interesting/twist ending that I thought was kind of cool, and almost removed all guilt of watching the movie in the first place.
Old August 13th 08, 17:15   #37
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
"Stick it." (BTW that movie wasn't about what I thought it was going to be about).
lol

I also watched a bit of Bring It On, but because of Gabrielle Union. Not that Dushku ain't easy on the eyes too, for sure. I even sat through half of some horrendous formulaic black romantic comedy because of Gabrielle Union. She's... well, she's just great.

Certainly Babylon 5 isn't much on the sexy department. However, I do think Talia Winters added a bit of sexuality to the show, and in a way that actually helped the show. Science fiction in general has a big problem incorporating sexuality (don't even get me started on the modern Trek shows). But with Talia you see a woman who has a somewhat believable romantic and sexual past, stifled by her telepathic powers. So you get this vulnerable but dangerously sexy person. It's a real shame she left the show- a lot more could've been done with her.

Quote:
I just sense there must be a deeper meaning, as they are so prevalent.
My penis jokes are prevelant? No deeper meaning beyond my vulgar, immature nature. And, you know- my penis is quite fantastic.

Of course eye-candy is a big part of the fun of popular entertainment, duh. TV and movies, are really not much more than beautiful people doing exciting things.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old August 14th 08, 00:23   #38
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKarsEye View Post
And, you know- my penis is quite fantastic.
That sounds exactly like something Markas would say. And that is a compliment, you know.

Quote:

Of course eye-candy is a big part of the fun of popular entertainment, duh. TV and movies, are really not much more than beautiful people doing exciting things.
That may be the truest general statement I've ever heard made about t.v. and the movies. Even in movies where a major character is not model-stereotype-visual-perfection, they are inevitably making a point by not being so. And they are surrounded by... you guessed it: stereotypical-model-perfection characters.

It just bothers me when, at the age of 43, such things can actually override other elements of entertainment that by all rights at my age should be my main focus.
Old August 14th 08, 00:53   #39
PillowRock
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
It just bothers me when, at the age of 43, such things can actually override other elements of entertainment that by all rights at my age should be my main focus.
At your age?

What in hezmana do you mean by "at my age" when you're 43?

Remember the old villager in The Magnificent Seven!

"and as to women ..... I became indifferent when I was 83."
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th 08, 00:55   #40
GKarsEye
First One

Quote:
And, you know- my penis is quite fantastic.
That sounds exactly like something Markas would say.
You're right, Markas would say my penis is quite fantastic.