B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old April 20th 08, 15:28   #11
B5_Obsessed
First One

Re: World War Z

A very good review from Mr McWeeney. I'm reading the book myelf. It's odd that the serious WWZ is a follow-up to the satirical "Zombie Survial Guide", which was just a one-off gag book.

Did you know the author, Max Brooks, is a former SNL writer and the son of Mel Brooks and Ann Bancroft?
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th 08, 06:45   #12
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: 顶楼主

Wow, a semi-useful spambot. I was going to hunt this thread up, got too lazy to bother, and then the idiot 'bot goes and fetches it for me.

I read the book the other day and was very impressed; everything seemed to make a lot of sense, and I was especially pleased/unsettled by how each country reacted. It was a case of, "Oh, yes, the South Africans would have thought of that, wouldn't they? How dreadful, except how useful." It made perfect sense, nation-by-nation, the whole way through.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th 08, 13:54   #13
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: 顶楼主

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
Wow, a semi-useful spambot. I was going to hunt this thread up, got too lazy to bother, and then the idiot 'bot goes and fetches it for me.
That's got to be a sure sign of the coming apocalypse!

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 08, 14:26   #14
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
A very good review from Mr McWeeney. I'm reading the book myelf. It's odd that the serious WWZ is a follow-up to the satirical "Zombie Survial Guide", which was just a one-off gag book.

Did you know the author, Max Brooks, is a former SNL writer and the son of Mel Brooks and Ann Bancroft?
Now that is interesting. Thanks for the info!

Any kind of disease-spread threat could have been used... I admit I have to wonder why the 'flesh-eating zombies' was chosen. First there was the vampire craze, then came the comic book craze, is it the zombie craze next?

But, as it does sound like a good story despite the FEZ, I may check it out in book form. I do hear from a variety of sources that it's a particularly good one. Hopefully that won't translate into a bad film (as is so often the case).
Old September 28th 08, 11:31   #15
A_M_Swallow
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Any kind of disease-spread threat could have been used... I admit I have to wonder why the 'flesh-eating zombies' was chosen. First there was the vampire craze, then came the comic book craze, is it the zombie craze next?
I am sure that Pat Tallman hopes that zombies are the next craze. She stars in the movie "Dead Air"
Dear Air website
Old November 14th 08, 12:00   #16
Jan
Psi Cop

Woke up this morning to news in Variety that Marc Forster is on board to direct "World War Z".

Quote:
As for "WWZ," "The genre always fascinated me, and when they pitched it to me, it reminded me of the paranoid conspiracy films of the '70s like 'All the President's Men,' " Forster told Daily Variety.

Par bought the book for Plan B in 2006, and it is one of several high-profile projects for the company headed by Pitt, who next stars for the studio in the David Fincher-directed "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."
Looks like this could be really big!

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote