B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old October 3rd 07, 12:48   #31
GKarsEye
First One

Re: What are you watching now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post
Good, the library's better off without it...
Well it is kinda boring so far (after 3 episodes). It's due back tomorrow and I don't know if I'll renew it.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd 07, 14:43   #32
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
It was a very good movie. I can only imagine this one with Olivier is even better, since I've never really seen him do anything like this before.
I'm going to commit heresy with regard to Olivier:

I prefer Branagh's interpretation of Henry V to Olivier's.

I prefer the grittier passionate delivery to what I see as indulgent over-romanticization (although Olivier's film was admittedly affected by the need for propaganda).

I don't mind romanticization, but I just feel Olivier overplayed the pageantry and you start to lose the sense that the people depicted were real and not fairytale.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd 07, 16:31   #33
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I'm with you on Branagh vs. Olivier, Galahad.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd 07, 17:05   #34
GKarsEye
First One

Ditto.

I'm a Branagh fan. Love Henry V and Hamlet. His Much Ado, however... yeesh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmZ8Ep-XKFY
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old October 13th 07, 14:30   #35
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Spaced - a British sitcom that has a total of 14 episodes.

It's incredibly stupid, and one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th 07, 00:46   #36
Jade Jaguar
First One

I just watched Fast Food Nation, a movie about the fast food/burger biz, directed by Richard Linklater. It was very well done, but also raw in parts... I recommend it, but you may never want to eat another chain burger again... it is a drama, not a doc.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th 07, 10:46   #37
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Read the book of that. It put me of Macdonalds for at least a year. And KFX, never again.

Spaced is awesome. Just watched 300, going to try and sit through Star Trek V next.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th 07, 04:45   #38
2aMageing
Soul Hunter

This morning I watched a lesser known flick called Stealing Home. Here and there Mark Harmon manages to find a good production to showcase his skills. It doesn't hurt that a young fresh Jodie Foster is showing he range and (why is it I just lost the ability to accurately spell subtly...??) subtly.

Also the other evening I experienced a fascinating back-to-back of Stallone/Banderas Assassins followed immediately by Tin Cup. A surprisingly satisfying contrast, interestingly enough.

On the TV dvd front, lately it's been MASH, MacGuyver, and Wild Wild West (DON'T be fooled by the pretty color of season 2 of Wild Wild West, all the quality of score, story, characterizations, and presentation are in season 1...... save for Loveless as a perpetually reliable commodity in the series, much like Q from Star Trek The Next Generation).

Right now this moment though, I'm watching a tropical course on Tiger Woods 2005 hand me my as.

"She's so god-dess lith-i-um flow-er"
2aMageing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th 07, 06:10   #39
Jade Jaguar
First One

I have been watching a lot of Betty Boop cartoons from the 30s. There is not a good, comprehensive collection available on DVD. There was an excellent collection released on VHS back in the late 90s, which I own. It has all 115 Betty Boop cartoons that are known to still exist. Four are lost.

I have a DVD recorder with a 160GB HDD. So, my current project is to record all 8 tapes of The Ultimate Betty Boop Collection into the HDD. Then, I insert chapter marks between each cartoon. I will use those marks to divide each toon into a separate title, so I can create menus with toon titles, and thumbnails of my selection. I will then burn them all to 8 DVDs, in chronological order by release date. The tapes were in a rather scatter-shot order. It will be interesting to observe the evolution of the character. Many of the early ones were great, with several including famous jazz musicians, like Cab Calloway, and Louis Armstrong. Then the "Hays Code" came in, aimed at anything considered sexual. They are the ones who said cartoon cows couldn't have udders! So, Betty became rather dull, so most of the later ones aren't very good.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th 07, 21:10   #40
GKarsEye
First One

I love the Boop cartoons with Cab and Pops.

After not having cable and relying on Netflix and downloading for my entertainment needs, I totally flipped it around and recently got a HD digital cable with an HD-DVR, HBO and couple of other premium channels. Ridiculously enough, it was cheaper to also get landline phone service than just the cable. And because I already had cable internet with them and they're assholes about everything, I now have seperate modems for my phone and internet. And I've downgraded Netflix to the cheapest service ($5/mo for one DVD out at a time).

I did this because I'm an HD junky now. Right now I got the Gators vs U-Kentucky (that's American college football for the non-Americans not blessed with the sport nor cursed with the BCS) in glorious HD. I actually care what colors the uniform are because some look better on my TV. The two best teams to watch because of how they look on my TV and because they're actually good are Kentucky

and my local team, where friends and Jersey girls I've had the ear-piercing misfortune of hooking up with go:

Ray Rice for the Heisman, bitches!

(my google image search for U Kentucky also resulted in this. heh)

I'm also gonna use the HD premium channels for movie watching in place of most netflix. Right now I have Natural Born Killers, Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai and the Prestige. And based on recommendations from friends I've started checking out Scrubs (so far: meh, perhaps a bit too wacky for my tastes. I think the same people who like Scrubs also love Arrested Development, and I never really loved that one, either. I am seeing a similar type of humor here). I'll also check out Dexter.

The one TV show I love is of course The Office, which has been brilliant this season, as it has been consistently since season 2. Any other fans? I feel about this show the way I saw Friends' fans react to that one- all giddy and into the actual characters in addition to the comedy. The difference is that Friends sucked, and this is really great.