• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Who question - SEASON 2 VIEWERS READ ONLY

LondosHair

Regular
BIG spoiler alert -- if you don't want to know anything about season 2, stop reading now!

So I've been loving the new Doctor Who series with Eccleston as the Doctor. This morning, though, I went looking for some Who wallpapers for my computer here at work. I came across the BBC's official Who page and came to the stomach-twisting realization, rather abruptly, that Eccleston doesn't return in S2. As I understand it, he sacrifices himself (or his 9th self, anyway) to save Rose.

So my question is a two-parter:

A) Why did Eccleston not return as the Doctor, and
B) What do you folks think of the new guy?

Eccelston the actor was only interested in the one season.

The new actor is the guy who played in the Series Casanova, and also played Barty Crouch Jr. in Harry Potter 4. I can't speak to his portrayal of Dr. Who, as I'm American, but, I like the actor and think he'll do a good job with it. Kind of a bummer to lose Eccelston, though. Even after the 4 episodes we have seen so far, I really like his portrayal.

1. I'm not sure the real, "absolute" reason for Eccleston's quick departure has even come out. There have been various theories and hints around, but basically it seems he was only signed on for one season (as no one knew if it would become a hit or not) and for whatever reason decided not to do any more (he's also mostly distanced himself from any Who-related stuff since, it seems, not participating in DVD commentaries or extras etc). IIRC, the news of his departure broke in the UK pretty soon after Rose was first screened.

2. The huge majority of people who know anything about David Tennant seem to love him. I'm not entirely sure about him yet... I didn't care much for him in Casanova (I only managed to watch one episode of that though, as it just wasn't my kind of show), I disliked him quite a lot in Harry Potter (not just the character he played, but the way he acted), and seeing him in about two seconds of Blackpool was enough to produce a negative gut reaction in me for that show. and for his way of acting.

I didn't care much for him in The Christmas Invasion either, but on the plus side he seemed better in that (for me) than in anything else I've seen him in... and the trailers I've seen so far for season 2 look like I will at the very least be able to tolerate him, if not adore him.

I'm sure he's a capable actor though, and as I said, the huge majority of people who know anything about him seem to absolutely love him, so the instinctive negative gut reaction is probably just me (and a handful of other dissenters ;)). I'm certainly more than willing to give him a chance.

Re: Doctor Who question - SEASON 2 VIEWERS READ ON

1. I'm not sure the real, "absolute" reason for Eccleston's quick departure has even come out. There have been various theories and hints around, but basically it seems he was only signed on for one season (as no one knew if it would become a hit or not) and for whatever reason decided not to do any more (he's also mostly distanced himself from any Who-related stuff since, it seems, not participating in DVD commentaries or extras etc). IIRC, the news of his departure broke in the UK pretty soon after Rose was first screened.
Sounds like he and Tom Baker have been comparing notes... :p

After the Xmas special and the first episode, i'd say Tennant is a pretty good substitute, although some may be put off by his posturing. I love him, and think the franchise is in good hands. Season 2 looks set to have higher quality scripts too...

Episode 2 seems to involve the Dr versus Ninja's versus A Werewolf versus Queen Victoria.

Magic.

There is also a huge amount of viral marketing attached to it, this site is certianly good fun...

http://www.guinevere.org.uk/index2.html

I have no problems with Tennant, but I'm not sure if I too like the way the 10th doctor is being portrayed .. he seems like a bit of an arrogant prat to be honest. I hope that they are either doing this on purpose (pride cometh before a fall... ) or that New Earth was just particularily bad (IMHO .. it was by far my least favorite episode of the new show) .. though the character traits were already visible in the Christmas Invasion, which in general seemed a lot better to me ..

.. though hyped about some of the episodes coming up, yes :D .. especially as there are fewer RTD episodes this season than last year, me tending to enjoy the non-RTD episodes a lot more. Looking forward to both the episodes written by Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss .. and looking forward to the episode after the next one, marking the first return of elements of the old show .. one of my favorite elements of the old show .. :D

Still on Season 1 (Just had Dalek last week) but had to look.

The Valleyard (From Colin Baker series Trial of a TimeLord) was rather arrogant, as was the original, so, not quite sure why you think arrogant isn't correct?

The Doctor in all his incarnations has been arrogant, but somehow the others (I haven't seen Trial of a Time Lord yet or any Sylvester McCoy stories, but at least the first six, eight and nine) have still been likable - the arrogance has seemed sort of "endearing" and not nearly so overwhelming.

The new Doctor seems to have a really bad case of a superhero/god complex going on there, which is somewhat of a turn-off for me at least. It's not really "I'm trying to do the right thing", or "I just happen to be rather smarter than you people" even anymore, but "What I decide is the one and only final truth. Full stop."

I'm probably reading a bit too much into this... I hope so anyway ;) but the two first proper outings for Tennant's Doctor have not looked too promising for me. I hope that it gets clearer at some point soon where this incarnation is heading towards... he's been described, by Tennant and Russell T. Davies, both as a "cheeky chappy" and "having a tough edge", but for now he does come off more as a prat with a god complex. Which for me makes him annoying, not an endearingly flawed hero. :D

Although I do think that the stories he's had so far haven't helped either, or played to his strengths as an actor (he seems good at calmer moments). I trust/hope that once the stories get stronger, it also gets easier for me to evaluate him properly, both in the character of the Doctor and in the performance.

Ah, well if you'd seen Trial of a Time Lord, you'd know what I meant by the ValleYard

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

The ValleYard is the Prosecutor in the Dr's trial, and he turns out to be the Dr's last generation, who is trying to steal the remaining regenerations from the Current Dr (Colin Baker) and he has a very God-Like complex about him, meaning according to that 13 episode story, the Dr turns very dark and arrogant by the end of his days.

I'm liking David Tennant as the doctor after the first two episodes of the new series, definitely comes into his own more in the second episode though. A lot of people I've talked to, who never watched the original, have been confused by changes in character with the change in actor, but thats what happens. I still wish theyd gone with bill nighy, he would ahve rocked.

It looks like those of us in the US who watch the Dr. on Canadian TV will have to wait until fall for the 2nd season. That's because of "Hockey Night in Canada." :rolleyes: :p :p :p
Seems that is the CBC's highest rated show, but Dr. Who did have very good ratings for them.

The doctor seems a lot more aggresive in this series,especially if his friends are in danger.I got the BBC in Holland and have been enjoying the series so far.In fact I wont go to the pub until it's finished :LOL:
Once again it seems that the stories get better as the series goes on.

Did you see David Tenant on Doctor Who Confidential? He had a full beard.

Wow, the Impossible Planet / Satan Pit two parter was a total cracker!!
Great suspense and horror, just like some of those excellent Tom Baker stories like Horror of Fang Rock, with some of the MCcoy era mystery and lore thrown in. Next week, Peter Kay! It gets no better....

Yeah that last two parter was a classic.I read in The Sun newspaper that the finale of this series has a definate twist.I wont write it here but if you want to know send me a PM.

Back