B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > A new river > B5.reborn

Old January 14th 22, 11:51   #81
babylonfan
Commander

Re: B5 Reboot?? Is it true??!!?!

To take this thread back to Babylon 5 for a bit.

Is there any indication who will do the international distribution/streaming? At the moment HBO streams Babylon 5, are they going to be doing the new stuff as well?

And will that be at the same time as the US release, or will we be forced to wait (which, of course, is code for: use torrents).
babylonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th 22, 10:52   #82
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonfan View Post

Is there any indication who will do the international distribution/streaming? At the moment HBO streams Babylon 5, are they going to be doing the new stuff as well?

And will that be at the same time as the US release, or will we be forced to wait (which, of course, is code for: use torrents).
All those are questions that can't be answered until the show gets a green light. We're still waiting for the pilot to get green lit.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th 22, 15:06   #83
LateArrival
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:

All those are questions that can't be answered until the show gets a green light. We're still waiting for the pilot to get green lit.

While I am not a CW prime time viewer - yet (hint hint CW get B5 on the air) and my streaming experience is extremely limited, possibly find out how their current programming is being distributed/streamed and assume the same might be true for a B5 Reboot?

But... ...just tried an internet search for "Stream CW overseas" and the results look to be NOPE with random suggestions about how Useful and Convenient a VPN might possibly be. But if the CW's current business model seems limited to the US, maybe this will change in the future. Perhaps once/if the network is sold?
Old January 15th 22, 16:05   #84
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I enjoyed Picard, well at least until the last episode or so, when the plot was laid bare and turned out to be a bit naff. That and turning the Romulans into space elves.

I also enjoy Discovery, despite as Ubik puts it, crap arc syndrome. I'm able to look past that and see the good stuff in it. I find that the problem isn't that the current Trek writers can't write characters or long-running plots, it's that they can't write science fiction. That's where B5 had an advantage, in having JMS who knew science fiction inside and out. Star Trek TOS hired writers who knew science fiction. So did TNG. And it really shows in the stories they tell.
That is an excellent point. I don't know anything about who is writing for modern Trek series, but the original Trek definitely had writers that knew how to write science fiction. One of the most common complaints I've heard about TNG is that it was more a "family show" than a science fiction series. But they definitely had science fiction and a fundamental element of the show. Deep Space Nine seemed a bit more fantasy leaning to me, but still solidly sci-fi. I deep debating if I should get Discovery to see all of the new generation of Trek. It sounds like it is different, and maybe imperfect, but generally worth taking a look at.
Old January 15th 22, 16:08   #85
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateArrival View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:

While I am not a CW prime time viewer - yet (hint hint CW get B5 on the air) and my streaming experience is extremely limited, possibly find out how their current programming is being distributed/streamed and assume the same might be true for a B5 Reboot?

But... ...just tried an internet search for "Stream CW overseas" and the results look to be NOPE with random suggestions about how Useful and Convenient a VPN might possibly be. But if the CW's current business model seems limited to the US, maybe this will change in the future. Perhaps once/if the network is sold?
I listen to a few podcasts that advertise for VPNs. But it would be a shame and a waste if a new B5 wold be limited to the USA. B5 had a pretty impressive audience in the U.K. alone.
Old January 16th 22, 18:23   #86
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Netflix and Amzon have just lost Trek and the Expanse has finished. There are rumors or a Mass Effect show on Prime and Halo is getting a series on Paramount Plus.

we get a fair few CW shows on Netflix in the UK, so it may well end up there.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th 22, 18:25   #87
Springer
Telepath

Quote:

I assume overseas broadcasters/streaming services will be able to bid to air it. In the UK I think some of The CW's superhero shows are on Sky, and I think Netflix has shown some of them too. In the UK at least I'm not worried about not being able to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post

That is an excellent point. I don't know anything about who is writing for modern Trek series, but the original Trek definitely had writers that knew how to write science fiction. One of the most common complaints I've heard about TNG is that it was more a "family show" than a science fiction series. But they definitely had science fiction and a fundamental element of the show. Deep Space Nine seemed a bit more fantasy leaning to me, but still solidly sci-fi. I deep debating if I should get Discovery to see all of the new generation of Trek. It sounds like it is different, and maybe imperfect, but generally worth taking a look at.
Picard's show runner, Michael Chabon, is a Pulitzer Prize winner and a Hugo Award winner (for an alternative history novel) so he is clearly an excellent author, but aside from his Hugo win he doesn't have a track record of writing science fiction.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th 22, 16:15   #88
LateArrival
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post

Picard's show runner, Michael Chabon, is a Pulitzer Prize winner and a Hugo Award winner (for an alternative history novel) so he is clearly an excellent author, but aside from his Hugo win he doesn't have a track record of writing science fiction.[/QUOTE]

And JMS has commented before on SF shows with writers who lack experience in the genre. Also seems like some shows Try too Hard to be relevant in the moment and eventually end up looking - for lack of a better word - dated.

B5, on the other hand remains scary-current.

Last edited by LateArrival; January 17th 22 at 18:55.
LateArrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th 22, 23:49   #89
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
B5, on the other hand remains scary-current.
Ain't that the truth. I remember watching it back in the late 90s/early 2000s thinking, "I see what JMS is doing but that kind of thing doesn't happen any more." In my defense, I was young; in my prosecution, I was obsessed with history, so you think I would have known better. Then I rewatched in 2015 to 2017 and I was freakin' terrified. Nor has that terror passed...

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th 22, 12:08   #90
Recoil
First One

I remember reading somewhere that The CW might get sold at some point in the next 18 months. I wonder if that impacts things with this reboot. Apparently JMS did comment on it, and made it sound like it shouldn't affect the first season, but man, he may be faced with another PTEN network thing right out of the gate this time around...