B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old May 7th 11, 02:53   #1
Mike G

Thor

Just got back from it, curious what everyone else thought it. I really enjoyed it!

In addition to co-story credit, our very own JMS has a pretty good cameo.
Old May 7th 11, 03:39   #2
GKarsEye
First One

Re: Thor

Next weekend is my Little's (from the Big Brother Big Sister mentorship program) birthday, so he got to pick what we're doing and it's dinner + bowling, and as of now his film of choice is Thor. So I will actually be going to a comic book movie in the theater for the first time since I think the first Tim Burton Batman. So, there's that.

I heard it doesn't blow chunks and has Natalie Portman. I just hope it's not terribly long.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th 11, 13:58   #3
Demonn
First One

The movie almost put me to sleep. It was ok, but not great... The Stan Lee part and a lot of the dialog was was pretty funny though.
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th 11, 18:04   #4
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Just got back from it, curious what everyone else thought it. I really enjoyed it!

In addition to co-story credit, our very own JMS has a pretty good cameo.
Please describe the cameo. I trust that won't be too spoilerish (for others here who haven't seen it yet.). I probably won't see it 'til it's out on DVD, if at all.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th 11, 02:43   #5
Mike G

The JMS cameo, minor spoiler

When the Mjolnir (the big hammer) arives on Earth, only one worthy of being Thor can pick it up. The first guy to find the hammer is JMS, who rides up in his truck and tries to pick up, but can't. Cut to the whole town of people trying to pull it out of the sand without any luck, including Stan Lee.
It's funnier then I'm making it sound.
Old May 8th 11, 07:47   #6
Jade Jaguar
First One

Warning to all those who haven't seen it, and perhaps some who have... you MUST stay to the very end of the credits, to see the last bit of the film, a very important bit...

Okay, I liked it well enough. It's just entertainment, and I was a Thor comics fan for many years.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th 11, 15:32   #7
Demonn
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jaguar View Post
Warning to all those who haven't seen it, and perhaps some who have... you MUST stay to the very end of the credits, to see the last bit of the film, a very important bit...
Great I missed it... everybody was waiting & I figured there probably wouldn't be anything all that important. I waited until it went to the black & white credits & then got the hell out of there since my foot's all messed up and I'm in a brace. Wanted to get out before the crush, it was packed.
Old May 8th 11, 23:21   #8
Jade Jaguar
First One

Demonn, look up "Thor" on wikipedia. They give a good enough description of what you missed. Of course, it won't be in 3D...

I used to read Thor comics religiously, but haven't read them in about 20 years. Notable by his absence was Thor's best bud, and brother, Balder. Does anyone have any idea why Balder wasn't in the movie?
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th 11, 02:04   #9
Demonn
First One

Ok... I looked it up. Didn't miss much & it was what I thought it would be. & I look 4ward to that movie, or movies.

I didn't watch Thor in 3d... I couldn't bring myself to do so.
Old May 10th 11, 16:40   #10
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Great popcorn movie in all respects, but the 3D did not work so well for the Ice planet stuff. I think it would be better in 2D. Portman and the whole cast was ace. JMS and Stan Lee though.

Love the set design and Asgard bits, Brannagh had fun I think.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote