B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old December 13th 10, 04:40   #1
Jade Jaguar
First One

Bye-bye IFC

I've loved The Independent Film Channel for years now. It presented arthouse movies, short independent films and animation. It had been going down hill lately, showing lots of series comedies, and other series. But, now they have added ads, and have constant commercial breaks in their films. I don't like ads, but I could tolerate them, if they were NOT interrupting movies. I won't even watch them on the DVR that way. I feel like my dog got hit by a truck.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th 10, 14:34   #2
GKarsEye
First One

Re: Bye-bye IFC

Gee I wonder why people illegally download things.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th 10, 23:50   #3
Jade Jaguar
First One

The IFC is owned by Rainbow Media, the same jerks who turned AMC into a commercial channel. They also own The Sundance Channel. Sundance has added a lot of series, less movies, so I guess commercials will be coming soon there too.

Yeah, it's kind of ironic that their attempts to make more money may ultimately move more people to get the stuff illegally, for free. I can see adding commercials between films, but as long as we still have options to see films uninterrupted, why watch that crap?

Another thing on the horizon is that the studios who own the films and TV shows, like Sony, are talking about charging Netflix 10 times as much for streaming rights on the next contract.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Old December 14th 10, 07:34   #4
Jade Jaguar
First One

If anyone would like to e-mail their sediments to the IFC, the address is:
IFCFEEDBACK@IFC.com

I unloaded on them a bit, more politely than they deserve...
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Old December 14th 10, 19:44   #5
GKarsEye
First One

Well on the flip side, the commercialization of AMC also led them to create 3 awesome series.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
Old December 15th 10, 02:04   #6
Jade Jaguar
First One

At the cost of the loss of uninterrupted classic films. To me, it wasn't worth it. Many cable channels make lots of series', that many find "awesome." I'll admit that I might check out ONN, the Onion News Network, but that's all I am likely to watch on the IFC. If they had just added commercials between the programs, I'd shrug, and still be an avid viewer.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Old December 15th 10, 14:33   #7
GKarsEye
First One

Ok but really, if you wanna see an uninterrupted classic film, it's so easy w/ internet/libraries/DVD.

Last weekend I was holed up @ home due to a cold and crappy winter weather, so I decided to catch up on some movie watching I been meaning to get to as I haven't watched any in a while.

- Marty, a 1954 Ernest Borgnine film referenced in a small indy comedy starring Jeff Greene and I saw a while back.

- The Wild Bunch, 196something, because I read a thing about Sam Peckinpah and realized I hadn't seen it in like a 15 yrs and don't remember it.

- Tron, 1981-ish, in anticipation of the sequel

- Inception, 2010, not even out on DVD yet.

All acquired immediately, in excellent quality, unedited, uncensored. It never even occurred to me to look at IFC or AMC.

This is, increasingly, the reality of the market.
Old December 15th 10, 14:44   #8
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Out of curiosity, how does a channel without commercials support itself?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th 10, 14:05   #9
hypatia
First One

You pay to get that channel, it's part of what you pay for your satellite/cable tv service. If you pay more, you get better channels, and many more of them (we tend to have "basic" cable, "extended basic" and then all sorts of packages that you can add like five HBO channels, Showtime channels, etc.

The bottom line for having good movie channels: you will miss many great movies you'd never have a chance to hear about by word-of-mouth.

Although I am less annoyed about the commercial options, I live where there are much mroe limited choices. I just can't believe what has happened to "specialty" channels. I mean, they've all cheapened their formats and kind of lost the reason I wanted to see them in the first place.

Am I remembering correctly when I recall that in college, Bravo was a great channel on which to watch foreign films? And filmed plays, like "Master Harold and the Boys" and "Sizwe Banzi is Dead"? (These were anti-apartheid British plays.)

I noticed our cable company added Bravo, and I checked it out last summer.
It's all reruns, now.
Old December 16th 10, 14:21   #10
GKarsEye
First One

Yeah I think Bravo became the all-gay channel at some point. I don't mean challenging indy films about homosexuals and their life experiences, I mean TV shows where they go shopping and eat lunch or whatever.