• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Going for another rewatch. Playing a video game sort of inspired me to.

Recoil

Regular
It's been a while, but I'm starting another watch through of B5. I had been playing an Xbox 360 game called Mass Effect, and MANY of the story elements fondly reminded me of B5. Don't get me wrong, there were enough plot elements in the game (which is an RPG and is sort of like playing a movie) that were definitely different and unique/original. But there were also some pretty clear signs that a LOT of elements were inspired by B5. So much so that after having played it, I found myself wanting to watch it again. I am also getting another gamer buddy to check it out as he has never seen it either.

Not the first game to remind someone of B5. I saw one where the graphics had clearly been inspired by the show, and not a little of the plot.

Might be the same game. The interior of the big B5-like space station in Mass Effect reminds me of some of the interior shots of B5 (or, I guess now that I think about it, any space station that rotates and is a big ring).

But there were many aspects to the game that reminded me of B5. The main story only somewhat so, but a lot of things I guess you can say were "inspired" by it, or so it seemed.

Not just B5 though, I saw other nods to other Sci-Fi shows/movies. The Mass Relays had a component that reminded me of the Machine from "Contact" and there were some verbal nods to Star Trek III as well.

Still it was a good game, and as I said, just made me want to watch B5 again, so off I go.

pre-ordered it too, can't wait. the only sucky part is that the first time i played it through some of the decisions i made haunted me, but my PC died, so i had to get a new save which meant playing through it again, not as messed up second time through.

lots of sci fi shows remind me of Stargate SG1

like there's this dvd movie called 'hideaway'

and their eyes glowed like go'olds.

Mass Effect is an awesome game, and a lot of it is very B5-ish, although not to the point of being a rip-off. Mass Effect 2 is coming out soon, too, which if you frequent this place you probably already know.

Also, let us know how it turned out for you, there are quite a few different endings to the game.

I haven't seen much else that's like Babylon 5. To me, that's a good thing. It just goes to show you just how great B5 is.

:)Hi everyone,
I'm re-watching B5 in the UK on FX.This week I had the pleasure to relive
"Severed Dreams".I don't think that any of the shows today come even close to the quality of B5.Long live B5!

Mass Effect really does have many similarities with B5.
And for those that played Mass Effect 2, doesn't the Collectors look just like Shadows?

I hope to get a swing at it sometime next week, but even the Keepers of the Citadel looked like Shadows. The first ME was a fantastic game even if it had it's problems (planet exploration sucked so bad and the inventory management was complete garbage).

Periodically I find myself thinking how fantastic it would've been if Bioware would've done a B5 game. It would've been win-win for everyone - though by developing their own franchises (ME and Dragon Age) Bioware gets more profit. A sound decision businesswise to get known through known franchises like Star Wars and then move on to build your own.

I don't know about DA, but ME's universe wasn't exactly that amazing. Such a weird thing to say considering that I haven't yet met a better one - one that I'd like more. I don't expect ME2 being that much greater in these parts. From what little I've dared to read about it it's just twice as polished a product as DA, for instance (which was a HUGE release and got way more hype than ME2).

Damn you Bioware do a B5 game!

hmmm reading your posts makes me tempted to get MS2!!

ive been trying to find babylon 5 style games/mods for ages now.

is the babylon 5 freelance 2 mod any good?

Mass Effect 2 is ace. Ancient forces on the prowl (sounds familiar), humans been taken away by an alien race (again sounds familiar). Recognisable enemies (err... well they've got the shadows heads) The gfx are superb. The same company is developing SWTOR at the moment - and i'll bet that'll be huge. This is where B5 missed the boat. A clearly defined universe. Many races. Enemies on the prowl. Wars breaking out everywhere. Would've made a cracking MMO cos the war against the darkness is without end.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back