• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What are you watching now?

Yes, I liked that music/musician! I knew the songs were familiar, then I realized they had turned Bowie songs into folk songs. It reminded me of the first time I heard The Austin Lounge Lizards on the radio. They were playing a dynamite bluegrass song. It was familiar, but I couldn't name it - then I realized they were playing Pink Floyd's Brain Damage!

Oh man speaking of wacky covers of boring white people music, especially Pink Floyd, I am all about the Easy All-Stars Easy Star reggae cover albums of Dark Side of the Moon, Ok Computer and Sgt Pepper.

I just watched Wonder Boys, a silly movie about writers starring Michael Dougles, Toby Maguire, Rober Downy Jr, and also has the lady from Fargo, Frances Mcsomethingorother, and Katie Holmes and so forth. Pretty good. Maguire is damn good, he should do better movies more often.

Yeah, I'm gonna pretend you're not dissing Pink Floyd because it's not emo and "cutting edge" nobody's-ever-heard-of-this-other-cool-stuff-I-Listen-to-so-that-makes-me-a-music-connoisseur" type stuff.

Wonder Boys was great. As a writer, I thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

I was pretending that too. Floyd is hardly "boring white people music." IIRC, GKE is a fan of either King Crimson, or maybe it was Emerson, Lake and Palmer... Both Pink Floyd wannabes, in my book.

When I think of boring white-people music, I think of Lawrence Welk, Porter Waggoner, Barry Manilow, Journey, AWB, REO Speedwagon, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Grand Funk Railroad, and on and on... (you can tell my age from those ;))

Both the Beatles and Floyd may have had the boring song, here and there. But, both created music like none that had been heard before.

Both the Beatles and Floyd may have had the boring song, here and there. But, both created music like none that had been heard before.

I know rumours are always rife on the subject... and people are right to be cynical because of all the issues between the labels involved, but i believe there is reason to suspect that the Beatles will be heading for iTunes or some other digital forum soon.

Firstly a number of Beatles tracks have been formatted for use in a console game (this was featured in a radio article... the presenter pointed out that apart from the litigation, the other main reason why the Beatles have not yet become available, is simply that those involved behind the scenes want it to be an event and not just another release.

The second reason I have suspicions that something is in the pipeline is the fact that Abbey Road studios have been breaking down the tracks into layers and separating the instruments, and recombining them in a remastered format... I think they may well have been laying downm the tracks for the train to come along.

When I think of boring white-people music, I think of Lawrence Welk, Porter Waggoner, Barry Manilow, Journey, AWB, REO Speedwagon, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Grand Funk Railroad, and on and on... (you can tell my age from those ;))

i'm sorry but mentioning Journey, REO, BTO and Grand Funk with the rest of those is a cardinal sin because they ROCK!!!!!111!!!!!!

i'm sorry but mentioning Journey, REO, BTO and Grand Funk with the rest of those is a cardinal sin because they ROCK!!!!!111!!!!!!

I suspect "Boring White People music" refers to the White people being boring, not the music itself (though some may agree it goes either way)

I meant to include Steely Dan, but forgot...I'll also throw in Thin Lizzie, and Iron Butterfly. They may rock, but they are all boring!

But, this is a film thread. I don't want to turn it into a music thread. So, blast back if you like, but I will try to stay silent... about music, on this thread.

Saw the Death Race remake last night. Had a couple of beers on the way, but I really enjoyed the blatant and pastiche levels of gratuity. The film reveled in its lowest common denominator outlook. Jason Statham can be a good lead as well.

Outlander was suprisingly good, and I rewatched the Black Hole as well recently. I had no idea the Maxamillian was Satan all along...

I just watched Young Billy Young, a 1969 western, staring Robert Mitchum, one of my favorite actors. Robert Walker (Charlie X in ST:TOS) played the title character. Also starring David Carradine, Angie Dickinson, and several stalwart character actors of the era - Paul Fix, Willis Bouchey, and John Anderson. Not a great film, it had plenty of western cliches, but I had never seen it, so I did enjoy seeing such a good cast working together.

Flash Forward has proven quite a decent show (the pilot).

Missed the first episode last night but fortunately Fiver is repeating it as we speak. Impressed so far... noticed the Oceanic Airlines billboard and wondereing what the wallaby is about (I thought perhaps it was a nod to Twelve Monkeys).

I thought people here might have an averse reaction due to the Braga element.

Oceanic Air Lines, I believe is a generic airline used for numerous shows, not just LOST. It's just that it's always a throwaway scene in other places. In LOST, it's half the show so we remember it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back