• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Iron Man armor revealed

LondosHair

Regular
Superherohype.com has posted this hi-res photo of the Mark III armor suit that Robert Downey Jr. will wear in the upcoming Iron Man movie. I'm SO jazzed for this, I can't wait! Iron Man has always been my favorite superhero.

ironmanhires1yd1.jpg

I don't know... :) I think he a talented actor. You would definitely need someone of his caliber to "get through" that suit... much like Andreas was able to make G'kar appear so "real", so natural in his movements and expressions despite all that make-up.

I don't know... :) I think he a talented actor. You would definitely need someone of his caliber to "get through" that suit... much like Andreas was able to make G'kar appear so "real", so natural in his movements and expressions despite all that make-up.

Yeah, I know a lot of people like him, but to me he's just a jerk who always looks like he just woke up, and barely acts. It's been a while since I read Ironman, but I recall him, as Tony Stark, as always being brash, and a bit at odds with the establishment, so I guess that part's right. I'm not sure who I would have preferred. I'd probably say Sean Penn, but then a lot of people would think I was an idiot... ;)

Currently Tony Stark is the establishment. He is now the new leader of SHIELD after the events of the Civil War. Stark is now the man in charge, but with his usual devil-may-care attitude and as always with his eye on the pretty ladies.

Oh my god I just realized Im such a nerd! LOL

That is a kick-ass costume.

Robert Downey Jr. as Ironman? Interesting. I like the actor, I'm one of those pathetic saps that enjoyed "Heart & Souls", and "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" was also very good, but I just never saw him in a comic book movie.

I just never saw him in a comic book movie.

:) ...This may not be apples to apples, but I had the same reaction when I heard that Michael Keaton would play Batman...and yet he was really good in that...at least I thought so! Granted all the pieces have to be place, good writing and such, but so much depends on the strength of that lead actor. :DHopefully, Mr. Downey Jr. can pull it off!

well if nothing else we do at least know he can play an addict, i'm pretty geared up for ironman myself, just cos he's playing stark.

Here's a shot of Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark:

ironmanhires2yx1.jpg

I think he fits the part well. Stark is supposed to be brash, yes, but not anti-establishment. Stark Enterprises developed weapons and security technology for its clients, which included the government for many years.

He's also supposed to be suave, debonaire, and irresistable to the womenfolk. Sean Penn would never make the cut. :)

It is one of the problems of this type of movie.

Christopher Reeve, for me, nailed both Clark Kent and Superman in a single bound, whereas I thought Michael Keaton made a great Bruce Wayne but was not so hot as Batman whilst Val Kilmer was a great Batman and an unconvincing Bruce Wayne.

Mindwalker - it will be a mix, but they built the suit so that as many shots as possible would be authentic. Just like Spider-Man, expect the high-flying action scenes to be CGI.

Downey, Jr. said he took the role for two main reasons -- 1) he's always been a huge Iron Man fan; and 2) he views playing an alcoholic as another form of self-therapy for his past addictions.

I think he was a top choice for the role. Stark is a very complex character. Stan Lee originally set out to make some-one who should not be liked (An arms dealer) a hero. Alcoholism and various health issues all add to the mix.

He is also physically not much without his armour. In that respect, RDJ is a good choice as a non conventional superhero type.

IIRC, this is one of the first movies Marvel are largely self financing. It should be interesting, and truer to the spirit of the comics. Expect a lot of the 'Ultimate' version of Tony Stark in this, as with all the movies based upon Avengers characters.

I don't really follow comics, so I have to ask: What's the Ultimate version and how does it differ? Is this a reboot thing?

Yes, 'reboot thing' sums it up quite well.

The original thinking was that the 40-year histories and convoluted back-stories of the main Marvel characters made them very inaccessible to new readers, so Marvel made new 'Ultimate' versions of it's main characters (Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Fantastic Four), taking the basic concepts but starting them afresh in a modern setting, with their then-current 'hot property' writers and artists. It was a big success, and the Ultimate version of the Avengers ('The Ultimates') which features an Iron Man drawn to look like Jonny Depp, is absolutely fantastic.

The shots and information released so far sounds much more like the original Iron Man origin story than anything from The Ultimates or Ultimate Iron Man though. The suit shown here matches very closely with his current depiction in the mainline Marvel Universe (understandably since the designer on the film is the artist responsible for the suit in the comics), and nothing like the equally cool but very different Ultimate Universe version.

:) You'll get no argument from me there, KoshFan! I thought he was excellent in both roles...:Dreally, really good!

thirded (you know like seconded but the third time) he definitely nailed both batman and a young bruce wayne, roll the dark knight.

Latest posts

Members online

Back