• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5:TLT Actual DISCUSSION Thread

Re: Actual B5:TLT News

Make me believe a project once I will believe you again, but fool me 50 times I won't believe a word you say

Okay I am sorry.I have personally gotten too excited about the possibility of seeing new Babylon 5 projects coming to the screen .And have been greatly disappointed in NOT seeing them come to furtation for one reason or another .To say that I am skeptical is putting it midly still.I WANT to see a continuation of the series that I love and adore that he created and gave us but am still holding back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which is fine. What got everyone's dander up was the suggestion that JMS had lied, somehow, in the information he's given to his fans.

As far as I have ever heard: he has never done this

IT wasn't my intention to suggest he had lied delibaerately. .It's just in the past he has left me with an encouraging prospect of seeing new B5 again but then to have it fall apart.I am sorry I made the post to begin with .maybe it's the way I interpert his posts .I just don't want to be disappointed again.

However, I don't feel that JMS ever *lied* to us in the past, and I dont think Shaal necessairly meant that either.

Really?

"...fool me 50 times I won't believe a word you say..."

How does this not mean "JMS lied"? That may not be quite what she meant to say, but it is what she did say and that is all we can respond to. (And she has never denied that this is what she meant.)

Regards,

Joe

However, I don't feel that JMS ever *lied* to us in the past, and I dont think Shaal necessairly meant that either.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really?

"...fool me 50 times I won't believe a word you say..."

How does this not mean "JMS lied"? That may not be quite what she meant to say, but it is what she did say and that is all we can respond to. (And she has never denied that this is what she meant.)

This will be my last post.

Most people, being regular consumers, live in the reality of tv and movie projects either being not made or finished and out for consumption. We don't get all the inner workings that go on because we're not involved in those inner workings. jms communicating with us fans online has allowed for us to dip our toes into that different reality in between a project not being made and its completion. The reality of projects rising and falling in that between is something that most of us haven't really experienced directly the way the people who make tv and movies do, and as we experience it requires us to temper our expectations. And since expectation is the root of all disappointment, well, there you go. One can be both excited and be tempered in their expectations. Just let it be a learning experience as to what the reality of making tv and movies is.

Most people, being regular consumers, live in the reality of tv and movie projects either being not made or finished and out for consumption. We don't get all the inner workings that go on because we're not involved in those inner workings. jms communicating with us fans online has allowed for us to dip our toes into that different reality in between a project not being made and its completion. The reality of projects rising and falling in that between is something that most of us haven't really experienced directly the way the people who make tv and movies do, and as we experience it requires us to temper our expectations. And since expectation is the root of all disappointment, well, there you go. One can be both excited and be tempered in their expectations. Just let it be a learning experience as to what the reality of making tv and movies is.

words of wisdom ,something I will remember and to think before I type.I am like an old pair of shoes lying arond ,I keep coming back .

However, I don't feel that JMS ever *lied* to us in the past, and I dont think Shaal necessairly meant that either. Its just that in the past a lot of us feel that he leaked a lot of informaiton and at times made things look a lot more encouraging than they were, so we got our hopes up only to have the projects fall apart.

Just curious: how would you know that JMS "made things look a lot more encouraging than they were"? Did you have some special insider knowledge about the projects he was talking about, and so you're sure he was overstating the facts? Or could it be that he actually had promising news at the time, and simply reported it to us? Projects in Hollywood turn on a dime, and get born and die all the time. The only difference here is that JMS has opted to keep us in the loop, so whereas most fans only hear about projects when TV Guide is reporting them (and they're already in production), we've been fortunate enough to have been in on the early stages of development. Which means we're subject to the joys and disappointments inherent in that.

I know you don't really believe that JMS is lying, but what you're stating is exactly that.

I know you don't really believe that JMS is lying, but what you're stating is exactly that.

No, I'm not staying that he was lying. Clearly I was trying to illustrate that same point about someone elses post. Its a very simple matter and no insider knowledge is required. I could be working on a project and even though I might internally have my doubts as to if it will really come to fruition, I could post optimistically about said project. Its not lying, but its not cold hard facts either. In ANY post that anyone makes, there is always a slant...

What I can say about the three episodes is that we go to Mars, Minbar
and of course B5, we introduce a new kind of Minbari cruiser, and
there's a rather startling sequence on Earth. I've decided to shoot
each segment a little differently from each other, so they each have
their own visual style that complements that particular story. On
Monday the B5 team up north will be checking out the stages, and about
a week or so from now the actual B5 offices will open up and folks will
start moving in.

Let's put the pieces together here. JMS has indicated that he'd like at least one of these trilogies to feature Sheridan, Garibaldi, and Lochley. He's also mentioned that he'd like the first batch to focus on human characters, which is why (as I mentioned upthread) I strongly suspect that Sheridan, Garibaldi, and Lochley would be in the *first* batch. *And* he's suggested that at least one of the first three stories will be set immediately after the events of Objects at Rest. Given that he's now saying that we'll be seeing Mars, Minbar, and B5, and the fact that Garibaldi, Sheridan, and Lochley are on Mars, Minbar, and B5 respectively at the end of Season 5, I'd say this is entirely consistent with the theory that the first three stories will focus on Sheridan, Garibaldi, and Lochley, all in the post-Season 5 timeframe (though not *necessarily* all of them being immediately post-Objects at Rest).

I hope they have a story with Ivanova. Somehow bringing her back into the story, i.e. what happened after season 4-present. I really don't care for Lochley, and would much rather see something done to re-integrate Susan.

Susan would be great, no question... and Londo... :D but I HAVE to cast my vote for John Sheridan!

I also prefer Ivanova to Lochley. But given JMS's previous comments (as described in my post above), it sounds like Lochley is more likely to be included in this *first* batch. Hopefully, Ivanova can be featured in a later story. JMS said that he'd like to center each trilogy around a theme, and explicitly mentioned one possible batch as centering around the telepaths, with Bester, Lyta, and a third telepath. In an ideal world, that third telepath story could be about Ivanova, seeing as how we never really got to see her use her telepathic abilities in a meaningful way in the story, since she left the show before that angle could be explored.

that third telepath story could be about Ivanova

:D That's one storyline I would LOVE to see explored!

Remember, Susan said that she's probably not even a P-1. I don't think that she had any meaningful telepathic abilities to use. She could tell if she was being scanned and sometimes could block, that's about it. Even with training, she probably wouldn't have had much real though reading ability.

Jan

I tend to believe that her abilities were greater than even she knew, and that would have been explored later on, but due to her departure we never learned the full extent of them.

Well, OK, perhaps I shouldn't have used the words "a story in which Ivanova uses her telepathic abilities" exactly. All I really meant was a story about Ivanova that deals with telepaths. The fact that she's a latent telepath, though a very weak one, means there could be enough of a connection between her and telepaths to justify including a story on her in the "telepath trilogy" of stories.

Yeah, could you imagine if she and Talia had that affair they supposedly had? Remember Talia telling Commander Sinclair about what it was like when telepaths made love? The stories she and Ivanova could tell....Woooo!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Remember, Susan said that she's probably not even a P-1. I don't think that she had any meaningful telepathic abilities to use. She could tell if she was being scanned and sometimes could block, that's about it. Even with training, she probably wouldn't have had much real though reading ability.

Jan

That is true, but this is creative fiction. I can easily see it turning out that she had somehow supressed her powers, and they were stronger than we knew. Alternatively, something could happen to activate and amplify them. Lyta's powers are so off the scale, including telekenesis, that she just might be able to alter Susan to give her respectable Psi abilities.

You think that Lyta could somehow alter Susan? Wow, that's outta left field. On what basis do you think this? Lyta herself had to be altered by the Vorlons, remember. I suspect it was a physical process of some sort, and not like Lyta could just beam enhancement-thoughts into somebody's head. I seriously doubt JMS would go there.

Speaking of the likely subjects of the first trilogy, I have no problem with Lochley, and I'm sure I'll enjoy her segment. I'm less interested in seeing a Susan story from the likely period (sometime after the end of the series), because she was off on a shakedown cruise with a Warlock-class ship, and there are no other B5 people around her. With all of the others mentioned, there's at least the potential to see some other familiar faces.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back