• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

IT'S DEAD, JIM?

Re: IT\'S DEAD, JIM?

Moyra's a she.

Her stance was that none of the original cast was in the movie at all.

Jan

Oops.

But if Mira was never going to be in it anyway (not saying I believe that myself, but following through on Moyra's reasoning), then how would she know that it was "dead"?

I am inclined to think that Mira could know the situation with some certainty... only if she was negotiated with, or heard from another member of the original cast, who was negotiated with. (And yes indeed... that would suggest that Moyra's original guess about the original cast not being included... was not correct.)

As for details... well, unless someone already posted a request for details... I certainly will (edit: already did). More information, especially regarding which level of (un)certainty was expressed... would definitely help.

Alternatively, if anyone frequenting *this* board went to VisionCon... perhaps they can tell?

I am inclined to believe that Moyra maybe telling the truth .I think Mira would be in a position to know whether the movie will be made or not. Even if she isn't in it.You hear things in the movie indusrty .And besides this has all the negative vibes of LOTR,the long silence .Which I loved by the way.I think in the end when and if JMS gets ready he will tell us "it's dead Jim".I hope I am wrong but somehow I don't think so. :(

The dead b5 movie may have something to do with the supposed new line of Babylon 5 books I seem to remember JMS saying something about .Not to mention the quote book as well..Face it people the movie is gone and with it any chance of a "revival" .Okay that's enough for me now.

I posted this news on trekbbs, and the poster "WombatControl", who has contacts in the industry and has posted accurate scoops on BSG in the past, said:

"This confirms what I've also heard separately.

Essentially, what I've heard is that JMS and WB couldn't agree on many aspects of the film including casting, and the project has basically entered "development hell.""

Huh. I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I want more B5. OTOH, if it's not going to work out ... I'm not that disappointed.

Essentially, what I've heard is that JMS and WB couldn't agree on many aspects of the film including casting, and the project has basically entered "development hell.""

I saw your post and it figures between the two of them they killed it .

Has anyone heard from Joe DeMartino on this yet? When it comes to news and rumors, he's 2nd in credibility only to JMS himself. I'd be interested to know what Joe (or the other Joe, obviously) knows about this. Maybe there's still hope.

Joe, where are you in our time of need and strife? :( Please, sir, bring us glad tidings in this time of peril. :LOL:

I asked Moyra if she could tell additional details. Hoping to diminish confusion (and hoping she doesn't mind being quoted)... I would relay a more detailed description she provided (available on the Yahoo Groups list).

Question and answer session at VisionCon - I think someone asked the question - she said "It's dead" and something to the effect that jms would probably try to resurrect it at some point. She didn't elaborate much more than that, at least not in public. And it's basically what she repeated to various people who asked the question of her at the autograph table - I was sitting next to her the entire time she was autographing.

As you see... it doesn't appear to leave much uncertainty
(nor much room for anyone misunderstanding).

I personally, well... I'm somewhat saddened, but not terribly.
Not every project works out... but some leave opportunities open.
Regarding what exactly didn't work... surely we may hear in future.

Better for it to die than to go on without the right people to do the job.

At this point, I almost don't want a B5 movie. Judging by the way WB tried to fuck this one up, I don't think I want to go thru it again. They've given us (and JMS) the proverbial shaft far too often, and we keep taking it just so we can spend months pouring over every little detail of "new B5 content" -- which, by the way, hasn't amounted to much since 1999. Excluding the books, of course.

It would be ironic indeed if WB cancelled this due to the recasting campaign. In any case the concept that WB had ANY interest at all in seeing the original cast in a feature film is wrong.
It seems way too early to say this.

As others have said, this doesn't sound good, however, I'm waiting for a JMS post before I start crying :(

Damn, this really has been a painful journey.

Remember, though, that these WB films suits are the ones who thought Gilligan's Island would make a great feature film. I put nothing at all past them.

Amazing. I just read in an anime magazine that they are going to be doing some things with Cowboy Bebop this year, including remastered DVDs & a videogame, & B5 can't even catch a break. I think more people know about B5 than Bebop, & yet Bebop's getting the better treatment. I don't mind the good treatment Bebop's getting because I love the show, but come on! Why can't B5 get some good treatment, too? It just proves my opinion that American entertainment is a joke. Even *Japan* does things better than us.

I'd love to see more B5, but if you're going to have people other than the original cast playing characters like Sheridan, Delenn, and Ivanova, I'd rather not see any at all.

To quote, well myself from rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
Speaking for ONLY myself, I'd rather see it not happen at all than be
recasted.

There's only one John J. Sheridan, one G'Kar, one Delenn, ect.

If it's put on "ice" for a time, so be it. To quote JMS: "...Simply
put...I'm in no hurry. I'd rather get it right than get it done on
Tuesday." The Lurkers Guide to Babylon 5

I am sooooooo willing to wait for a Babylon 5 movie done right, rather than one done right now and not be done right.

I just posted over on the newsgroup that nothing's over until there's official word. Still, I'm asking for input as to what people think I should do if the report is true.

Jan

I'm still waiting for official word that there is a movie. :cool:

/I am Sheridan

I am the only one who would be willing to give the recast B5 characters a beak maybe new faces in the ro les of Sheridan etc woulld breath new life.And B5 can't get nothing done right.I am beginning to think JMS may have something to do with it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back