B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.FAQ

Old June 16th 18, 20:12   #21
Looney
Ambassador

Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order

Okay, I have slowed down a little bit, but I just finished Eyes, 1.16. I have to say that knowing where the story is headed I really feel putting this episode a little closer to the end of the season puts a bit more spin on Sinclair leaving and Sheridan coming into replace him. I almost wish Sheridan would turn out to be dirty. LOL

I REALLY wish Harriman Gray had returned, and not just because I love Jeffrey Combs. I think having a Psi Corps character who is possibly more devoted to Earth Force than the Psi Corps is a VERY interesting dynamic that would have been an excellent avenue to explore.

So as I will likely say many more times, this watch order is REALLY paying off IMHO. It is weird, but I feel like this watch order is steadily increasing the tension over all the episodes with more of a snowball effect than the original episode order. Having Signs and Portents, 1.13, a bit later in the season really helps give it that effect.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st 18, 04:11   #22
Looney
Ambassador

Finished Chrysalis, "Nothing's the same anymore." I think this is the way I will watch Season One from now on.

Got through Points of Departure 2.1. Can't wait to see what the changes do for Season 2.

Old June 21st 18, 10:56   #23
b5historyman
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Okay, I have slowed down a little bit, but I just finished Eyes, 1.16. I have to say that knowing where the story is headed I really feel putting this episode a little closer to the end of the season puts a bit more spin on Sinclair leaving and Sheridan coming into replace him. I almost wish Sheridan would turn out to be dirty. LOL

I REALLY wish Harriman Gray had returned, and not just because I love Jeffrey Combs. I think having a Psi Corps character who is possibly more devoted to Earth Force than the Psi Corps is a VERY interesting dynamic that would have been an excellent avenue to explore.

So as I will likely say many more times, this watch order is REALLY paying off IMHO. It is weird, but I feel like this watch order is steadily increasing the tension over all the episodes with more of a snowball effect than the original episode order. Having Signs and Portents, 1.13, a bit later in the season really helps give it that effect.
I'd like to think that Harriman did get to join EarthForce after the Corps was disbanded.
b5historyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th 18, 03:03   #24
Looney
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5historyman View Post

I'd like to think that Harriman did get to join EarthForce after the Corps was disbanded.
Yes that is a pleasant way to envision his future. He is definitely a guest star with an expanded universe story I would love to see, but then again I feel that way about almost every guest star.

So I just watched A Race Through Dark Places, 2.8 followed by Soul Mates, 2.7 and I have to say I really like this dynamic shift for Talia. I know A Race Through Dark Places is perhaps a larger scope story for her so having the smaller B plot for Soul Mates come first seems more logical, but I think this way works better. First she finds out about Psi Corps then she deals with the possibility of a way out. Plus it puts a FAR more sinister twist into why Stoner shows up on B5. It tells the audience that maybe Bester didn't entirely believer her when he left at the end of A Race Through Dark Places, so maybe he suggested it would be to Stoner's advantage to go to B5 and check things out. It just gels together very well.
Old June 29th 18, 14:55   #25
b5historyman
Ranger

Thumbs up Re: JMS approved Chronological viewing order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Quote:

Yes that is a pleasant way to envision his future. He is definitely a guest star with an expanded universe story I would love to see, but then again I feel that way about almost every guest star.

So I just watched A Race Through Dark Places, 2.8 followed by Soul Mates, 2.7 and I have to say I really like this dynamic shift for Talia. I know A Race Through Dark Places is perhaps a larger scope story for her so having the smaller B plot for Soul Mates come first seems more logical, but I think this way works better. First she finds out about Psi Corps then she deals with the possibility of a way out. Plus it puts a FAR more sinister twist into why Stoner shows up on B5. It tells the audience that maybe Bester didn't entirely believer her when he left at the end of A Race Through Dark Places, so maybe he suggested it would be to Stoner's advantage to go to B5 and check things out. It just gels together very well.
Always nice to see people picking up on these little things, shows they are really watching the show
Old August 9th 18, 09:29   #26
Karajorma
Ranger

The order for The Day of the Dead doesn't seem to be right. Lockley casually mentions the basis of her relationship with Sheridan and then right afterwards in Learning Curve that relationship gets mentioned as a mystery which is then explained in Strange Relations.

I can't see any reason why Day of the Dead should be so early in the list if it ruins that mystery. I know it's in the wrong place on the DVDs, but I would only move it forward one episode, so that it comes before Secrets of the Soul, not after it.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th 18, 14:52   #27
b5historyman
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karajorma View Post
The order for The Day of the Dead doesn't seem to be right. Lockley casually mentions the basis of her relationship with Sheridan and then right afterwards in Learning Curve that relationship gets mentioned as a mystery which is then explained in Strange Relations.

I can't see any reason why Day of the Dead should be so early in the list if it ruins that mystery. I know it's in the wrong place on the DVDs, but I would only move it forward one episode, so that it comes before Secrets of the Soul, not after it.
It's in the right place. Lochley talks to Zoe about him, we as viewers know about it. No one else knows at this point.

Last edited by b5historyman; August 10th 18 at 15:08.
Old August 11th 18, 10:53   #28
Karajorma
Ranger

[QUOTE=b5historyman;461098]
Quote:
It's in the right place. Lochley talks to Zoe about him, we as viewers know about it. No one else knows at this point.
It really doesn't seem right. It's just "I got married, to that Sheridan guy" and then carried on with the episode. The revelation that two main characters were previously married just comes completely out of nowhere and then wanders back there again without any further reference to it.

And then only in the next episode do we even get a hint that Sheridan didn't tell Delenn and that this is something we should care about in the slightest.

Is there any reason why Day of the Dead has to come before Learning Curve? Cause I can't see one and it seems really odd for it to be there.
Old August 12th 18, 12:04   #29
b5historyman
Ranger

[QUOTE=Karajorma;461099]
Quote:
Quote:
It really doesn't seem right. It's just "I got married, to that Sheridan guy" and then carried on with the episode. The revelation that two main characters were previously married just comes completely out of nowhere and then wanders back there again without any further reference to it.

And then only in the next episode do we even get a hint that Sheridan didn't tell Delenn and that this is something we should care about in the slightest.

Is there any reason why Day of the Dead has to come before Learning Curve? Cause I can't see one and it seems really odd for it to be there.
We as viewers have the foreknowledge, the characters don't. So it doesn't feel right to you, not my problem to be blunt. You watch it how you want to, this is the correct viewing order I busted my balls researching and it was given the authorisation of Joe himself. It isn't going to magically change place.
Old August 13th 18, 20:49   #30
Karajorma
Ranger

Quote:
We as viewers have the foreknowledge, the characters don't. So it doesn't feel right to you, not my problem to be blunt. You watch it how you want to, this is the correct viewing order I busted my balls researching and it was given the authorisation of Joe himself. It isn't going to magically change place.

I asked if there is any in universe reason why the episodes are in that order. When you moved the stuff around in Season 1, the building of the chrysalis was obvious proof that the episodes were out of order. I couldn't see any similar evidence that explains why Day of the Dead needs to jump so far forwards and I can see lots of evidence against it. I assumed you had seen something I missed and would be willing to explain, if you're not, fine.