• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

various from jms - Monday, June 14, 2004 8:26 AM

KoshN

Super Moderator
I'd have just put up the Google Groups link, but it won't be there for awhile...

KoshN

----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 8:26 AM
Subject: various from jms

> My apologies for the prolonged absence, but the loss of Richard Biggs kind of
> took the wind out of our sails and it's taken a while for me to feel up to
> saying anything about B5. This has also had the effect of slowing up anything
> to do with B5:TMoS (which as some of you have guessed or inferred does indeed
> stand for The Memory of Shadows), because in the writing we/I never imagined he
> wouldn't be here to be a part of it. More on that another time.
>
> The funeral itself was a very moving ceremony. It was a point of some pride
> that, although Richard had worked on a variety of shows, and all of them were
> present to varying degrees, the largest contingent was from Babylon 5. The B5
> family gathered in full strength, because whatever internecine hassles may have
> come up between anybody, there wasn't one person on that show who didn't think
> Richard was just a nifty, nifty guy.
>
> There were many crew members present, from art department to camera and office
> staff...DP John Flinn, directors Tony Dow and Jesus Trevino, and literally all
> the major or minor cast members with the exception of Jeff Conaway (who was out
> of town and couldn't make it), Peter Jurasik (who was attending another funeral
> on the other side of the country) and Joshua Cox (ditto...it was a bad week for
> a lot of people).
>
> So from the cast we had: Bruce, Jerry, Mira (and Goran), Andreas, Claudia,
> Walter, Bill, Pat, Marjorie, Tracy, Stephen, Jason, Caitlin, and others I may
> have missed or forgotten. From the writing/producing side it was me, Kathryn,
> Larry DiTillio, Doug, John Copeland, Kevin Cremin, Skip Beaudine, others.
>
> Out of respect for the privacy of the family, I won't go into details of the
> ceremony itself. Suffice to say that he was dearly loved by all, and his
> family is held in that same affection by everyone who was there.
>
> I was going to go into more stuff here in general, but I don't seem to have it
> in me at the moment. More later, then.
>
>
> jms
>
>
> (all message content (c) 2004 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
> permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
> and don't send me story ideas)

Thank you for the posting KoshN. It seems JMS has been hit hard by the loss of Rick Biggs (granted we all have, but I think seems to have shaken JMS more than we might have expected).

The information that the title is "The Memory of Shadows" is something, but it seems that our dear Dr. Franklin was at least somewhat an important part of the story. This is as I had both expected and feared. I do not in any way envy JMS what he now has to do in writing his friend out of a story he was excited to bring him into. My thoughts are with JMS now...as a writer, I can only imagine what he's feeling and the struggle that is before him.

CE

Thank you for the posting KoshN. It seems JMS has been hit hard by the loss of Rick Biggs (granted we all have, but I think seems to have shaken JMS more than we might have expected).

The information that the title is "The Memory of Shadows" is something, but it seems that our dear Dr. Franklin was at least somewhat an important part of the story. This is as I had both expected and feared. I do not in any way envy JMS what he now has to do in writing his friend out of a story he was excited to bring him into. My thoughts are with JMS now...as a writer, I can only imagine what he's feeling and the struggle that is before him.

CE

Writing around Franklin/Biggs will probably be difficult, perhaps not so much because of the character's story involvement, but rather because of being aware of what is now forever missing.

Well, Franklin did go to be head of Xenobiological Research in Earthdome as of late 2262 ("The Ragged Edge"), and was still in that job as of Sleeping in Light (2281). They'll have to show only his staff in "B5:The Memory of Shadows" (and any future Crusade storylines) dealing with the Xenobiological Research Division, and that would probably mean Dr. Chambers (Marjean Holden) or a new face. Dr. Hobbes is busy, being the new head of the medical staff at Babylon 5, replacing Franklin when he left.

Why would he have to write out Dr Franklin in the story? Another actor could fill the part, of course would not be the same but if Dr Franklin has a major part to play why not.

Why would he have to write out Dr Franklin in the story? Another actor could fill the part, of course would not be the same but if Dr Franklin has a major part to play why not.

I do not think anyone would be happy if TPTB did that, including JMS and the cast...it would be like a slap in the face to Rick. No, he will find a way to write around him...somehow. Probably as KoshN suggested, by bringing in another character we're familiar with to fill the space, but not the role.

CE

Recasting would seem to be in poor taste, given how long Biggs was in the role. It'd be better to just not show Franklin, and preferrably not even mention him very much. That would leave the illusion that he was still with us, in the B5 universe.

Re: various from jms - Monday, June 14, 2004 8:26

The only circumstances in which I could have seen Franklin (or any of the more prominent characters) being recast would have been if the story had the character as an integral role and Richard Biggs had refused to do it.

It worked with Draal following Louis Turenne's stroke because having put Draal into the machine it had to be Draal who revealed it to Sheridan. And it was basically a bit part.

I can't imagine anyone involved with the production feeling comfortable with having a new guy in the same role following Richard's tragic death.

Well, Franklin did go to be head of Xenobiological Research in Earthdome as of late 2262 ("The Ragged Edge"), and was still in that job as of Sleeping in Light (2281). They'll have to show only his staff in "B5:The Memory of Shadows" (and any future Crusade storylines) dealing with the Xenobiological Research Division, and that would probably mean Dr. Chambers (Marjean Holden) or a new face. Dr. Hobbes is busy, being the new head of the medical staff at Babylon 5, replacing Franklin when he left.

Could another possible character to fill the place of Franklen be the original B5 doctor? It would give B5 some continuity...especially since it was that character that Franklin replaced as head of Xenobiological Research...so that would mean he's not tied down to any one place and would be a known, dear friend of Franklin's.

Just a thought.

CE

Could another possible character to fill the place of Franklen be the original B5 doctor? It would give B5 some continuity...especially since it was that character that Franklin replaced as head of Xenobiological Research...so that would mean he's not tied down to any one place and would be a known, dear friend of Franklin's.

Just a thought.

CE

I think that would really depend on where TMoS fits in the established timeline of the B5 universe.

I am in agreement that Dr. Franklin can't be recast. How awful that would be. I hope JMS writes around him with Dr. Chambers or Dr. Hobbs or someone else. He (Franklin) should still be mentioned in the movie, and there should be a dedication in memory of Richard Biggs. No one else should attempt to fill the role.

Nice idea CE, Dr Benjeman Kyle would be a good character to bring back, and it would make for a nice circle. Does anyone remember what happened to the original character? JMS is a master of creating new characters to fill the place of another, and he always manages to create a worhwhile new character in their own right. Dr Franklin was in fact, a very good example of this.
From the post, I can tell just how upset JMS is Richard Bigg's death.It was nice to hear a report from the funeral, good to see that many of the B5 regulars turned out, except those that had other funerals. It does indeed sound like a bad week. :(
On a brighter note, it was good to hear more about the project, and that work is going ahead. :)

p.s. I got the title right. ;)

I imagine that any vital medical information on the show, or perhaps info on the Underground Railroad, will be passed along by underling couriers, or possibly relayed through Garibaldi, who (going by SiL) is in fairly close contact with Franklin. While absolutely no replacement for the man himself, it would cover the story, maybe allow for a few other things to get slipped in, although if JMS has any tact at all he'll never admit this.

So it is the Memory of Shadows. And going by what little I know of Crusade, it suddenly occurs to me that the show's arc was moving in the direction of Shadow tech problems... I wonder if any Crusade characters are going to make an appearance?

It's such ashame that what would otherwise be considered great news about the new Babylon 5 project has been overshadowed by such a sad, and terrible turn of events.

You'd expect us to be rejoicing that we now have the full title of the much anticipated Babylon 5 feature film, but that just doesn't seem quite so important when juxtaposed with this, and it's clear JMS feels much the same way. He's clearly been hit very hard by the loss, and now going back to B5 will be difficult for him, when a large chunk of the "B5 recipe" is missing...

There is a long showbiz tradition that says, "The show must go on". While the feature film would be too soon and too traumatic for all concerned, I think it is possible that a future project or project that really required Dr. Franklin could feature a new actor in the role. Continuing both the story and the character could also be a way of honoring Richard's memory, and I suspect that if this happened the cast would go out of their way to make that new actor feel welcome.

But that is speculation for the future.

Dr. Benjamin Kyle retired after giving long and honorable service to EarthGov. I seem to recall reading that the actor who played Kyle, Johnny Sekka, has also retired, perhaps to his native Senegal. In any event, while he was a fairly busy actor in films and television through the 60s, 70s and 80s, he doesn't seem to have done much since the early 90s. The Gathering is the most recent credit the Internet Movie Database has for him, in fact.

Regards,

Joe

I think Dr, Hobbes or Dr. Chambers would be excellent choices. :)

Doubt it, since he's pretty old, and he "retired." Why would he come out of retirement if Franklin, who is quite a bit younger, was still available? Remember, Franklin is still alive in the B5 universe in 2281. It was Franklin who showed up in Crusade's "Each Night I Dream of Home." and Franklin who called for the:

EARTH ALLIANCE HEALTH ORGANIZATION
Plague Eradication
Management Strategies
Mars Conference
June 15, 2267.

Using Dr. Benjamin Kyle (Johnny Sekka), would seem a bit weak. He's currently almost 65 years old, and according to IMDb hasn't done anything in film or TV since "The Gathering" in 1993. I suspect Kyle and Sekka are both retired.

Ok! Ok! It was only a passing thought! Geesh! :rolleyes: ;)

I personally still think JMS could find a neat way of working him in if he wanted to, and I'm sure the actor might be willing to return (it is a feature film after all).

But like I said, it was just a random thought that occurred to me for a moment. When I have such thoughts, I like to give them creedance and allow them to play out in my mind, sometimes for fun, sometimes to see if they are a real possibility and could be made to occur in a fascinating and unique manner and remain true to story and continuity.

Just a mental exercise. I also doubt that Dr. Kyle would be brought back in...but it's fun to wonder the if's and how's of the matter. :D

My guess is that Dr. Chambers would be a good candidate if a Dr. role is needed in any large way.

CE

Now that we have a title, has anyone done any research this morning through Google, or other methods that have been discussed in the last week or so, to see if we might be able to gain even an ounce more of information?

Anyone looked up what all the primary actors from B5 are currently involved in to see who obviously has room in their acting schedules (or who obviously doesn't have room in their acting schedules?

Nothing on IMDB or Lurker's guide yet, not even what we were told this morning in JMS' post

Dr Benjamin Kyle became the head of Xenobiological Research in Earthdome; Dr Franklin was taking over on his retirement.

Johnny (Dr Kyle) Sekka has a very black skin, is it possible to film him and a pale skinned cast member without one of them looking weird?

Retired characters can do anything since they do not have to go to work. Dr Kyle has been exposed to a Vorlon, we do not know what instructions Kosh gave him.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back