• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Illusion of Truth - Worst Episode?

I'm afraid that the point of the episode is that it CAN happen in a democratic society or any society and that unless the population is aware and on guard, that it will.

Jan

Well .. that a democratic society can turn into a society that would allow stuff like that. That point was brought over in mid-season 3 already, though.

I'm afraid that the point of the episode is that it CAN happen in a democratic society or any society and that unless the population is aware and on guard, that it will.

Jan

Well not really... see in B5 the government became fascist first.

If some tv station did a hatchet job that bad in the U.S., there'd by competing tv stations, web sites, articles, etc ready to rip it apart. So, yeah, an IoT type propoganda piece can be produced- and in fact it is protected under free speech- but it can also be challenged successfully.

In a totalitarian society, it can't. We saw artists and activists get persecuted under Clark in the show.

I think one of the reasons I love B5 so much is that, while other shows address this stuff, it never has the passion and honesty about it the way B5 did. Nightwatch, Clark- all the stuff actually feels somehow "real."

I can't see that kind of propaganda going through in a country like the US at all. Where you do, actually, have freedom of press, no matter how much some American publications can be full of crap. If you were to publish this kind of complete fabricated rubbish in the US, everyone would be free to check your story, and debunk it within days. I don't for a second believe that Illusion of Truth was aimed at propaganda as encountered in democratic societies. It's propaganda in countries where the powers controll all media, such as Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union.

Well, what you say is legally true, Chilli. But with someone like Hearst, which GKE mentioned, he didn't rule people with law, he ruled people by fear.

Maybe people and papers could debunk him, but if they are so afraid of the consequences they don't choose to, then you've managed to limit freedom of speech without actually breaking the law.

What has to happen in cases like Hearst and McCarthy is to get enough people mad that everyone does begin to openly question their word. Then usually these amazing abuses of power and popularity kind of fix themselves. Then the truth can finally come out and people aren't as afraid.

G'kar if you want to have a go try not to be so pathetic about it.

Wow I was out by four months,the principal is still the same.Like it or not the American media has a long history of perverting the facts.In fact Hypatia posted a story the other day where some numbnut claims the British were defeated in Basra :rolleyes:

OK they went a little further than would be allowed by American Law but not a lot further.

Murdoch must of seen this episode and thought that's how to do it :devil:

I believe it was an article on what was happening there as the British troops withdrew, wasn't it?

I don't recall anyone saying "they were defeated" there. No, they are withdrawing and you can guess what is following now.

You guessed right,the quote :p

"The British have basically been defeated in the south," a senior U.S. intelligence official said recently in Baghdad".

Although basicly you could say they are not really saying that :rolleyes:

Just goes to show how well it works :p

You guessed right,the quote :p

"The British have basically been defeated in the south," a senior U.S. intelligence official said recently in Baghdad".

Although basicly you could say they are not really saying that :rolleyes:

Just goes to show how well it works :p

Ah, a senior US intelligence officer said it.

That explains it. ;)

Exactly ;)

I just rewatched this episode and looked for the obvious lies and found none.

I loved how easy they perverted the truth and the spin that came in.

I do, too. But I'm a fan of many boardmembers least favorite episodes. :LOL:

Just how bad they made it look impressed me. Yea, of course we all knew they'd get screwed in the end, but it was a big surprise to me that they would try for such a BIG lie.

But, in a atmosphere of fear, people learn it's not healthy to question what the government is handing them. And then we are left to think of how this was just so perfectly planned as to plant lies of crimes so big, even hesitant commanders would conclude B5 is out of control, and fight to take it over.

Seeing hate-talk is what I expected; what I got was a truly sick and carefully thought out so that it would minimize any sympathy people might have had for B5 and crew, I admit I thought it was a good episode.

To each their own, you know. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back