• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers in the background

Moonface

I just saw JMS gives "live" audio commentary to some (all on patreon? idk, I only have access to thos on youtube) episodes.
In the last one he did, the coming of shadows, he mentioned, that the rangers, although introduced officially in the coming of shadows, where present in the background in a couple of episodes before just to be there and give people who rewatch it something to look for.

Due to my recap efforts I did rewatch all of it last year and again in the winter holidays, but I don't recall noticing any rangers in the background prior to the coming of shadows.
Did anyone else notice them?

I just saw JMS gives "live" audio commentary to some (all on patreon? idk, I only have access to thos on youtube) episodes.
In the last one he did, the coming of shadows, he mentioned, that the rangers, although introduced officially in the coming of shadows, where present in the background in a couple of episodes before just to be there and give people who rewatch it something to look for.

Due to my recap efforts I did rewatch all of it last year and again in the winter holidays, but I don't recall noticing any rangers in the background prior to the coming of shadows.
Did anyone else notice them?

Can take no credit for this as did a quick search and read about someone else's Ranger Sighting - Season 2, Episode 5 (The Long Dark) at the scene by the bar just after the opening credits. With that, was able to sort of guess it was the person sitting on the right (see picture - just to the right of the Drazi) but had to frame-by-frame to get a glimpse of what looks like a Ranger pin (see other picture). It's basically around 3 1/2 to 4 mins in and the best "view" I can get of what might be a Ranger pin is where Dwight Schutlz (Amis) is speaking with G'Kar and you can see the Ranger (?) just over Dwight's right shoulder and to the immediate right of someone walking by in a B5 uniform.

...Unfortunately no luck pasting pics as get Entity Too Large messages or stuck in a submission loop. Will try attaching and cross several fingers.

Attachments

• LD_1.jpg
    LD_1.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 19
  • LD_2.jpg
    LD_2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Unrelated: Regarding his Patreon, I only subscribed about two-months-ish ago at the $20 level and am as far from an expert as anyone can be, but am pretty certain that subscribing at even the lowest level ($5 ?) will get access to all his B5 commentary videos. Although it looks like he eventually posts all of them for Free via youtube, so whether $5/month or Free, you would still be able to see them.

Would guess that people who have joined can not only see them right away :), but can also vote on future commentaries - he gives four possible choices and the one with the highest votes wins.

Last edited:
Ah! nice spotting! thanks for the reference pictures :)

That's REALLY subtle. I don't think I'd ever found that oO

Ah! nice spotting! thanks for the reference pictures :)

That's REALLY subtle. I don't think I'd ever found that

For fun spent about half an hour trying to skim only scenes that were "public" scenes and skip the rest. There were several ????s that were shots from shoulders-up and several ????s which were background-blurry and not worth the effort. Best results were, ironically, at the Exact Same Spot - on the right side of the bar, all others were ???? shots open to interpretation depending on how one squinted. Only three were worth trying a screen shot.

First is a ???? flip-a-coin from S02E03 Geometry of Shadows at about 7mins 20 seconds, just after Refa leaves. Over his departing left shoulder is ???? maybe a Ranger. Second is from S02E06 Spider in the Web around 30 seconds in. Blurry Ranger is in their favorite spot - on the right side of the bar and in frame between Sheridan and Ivanova. It's the same location as in The Long Dark, but a different Ranger. Third pic is almost clear enough to be somewhat :) :) recognizable, and is the same Ranger from earlier in the episode still at the bar, and is in frame to the left of Abel Horn around 14 minutes 10 seconds in. Probably missed a few as was skipping about, and haven't checked Race Through Dark Places. But guess the best place to spot them is... :beer:

Attachments

• 0203Geometry_720.jpg
    0203Geometry_720.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 0206Spider_30sec.jpg
    0206Spider_30sec.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 0206Spider1410.jpg
    0206Spider1410.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Not sure if Rangers can be said to be In The Background after their reveal in CoS, but perhaps so far as the plot goes, they are In The Background till their presence becomes known to more than just Delenn and Garibaldi? For fun tried skipping around looking for others, and probably as I was randomly skipping about looking for scenes-with-crowds, didn't really see anything till episode 14 - Matters of Honor. Guess he could be called the Extra Ranger, as he is moving in and out of scene multiple times in under two minutes.

Starts at about 24 1/2 minutes during the scene where Londo and Vir are speaking about Vir's incoming replacement. Comes in from the left and can be seen over Vir's right shoulder (A) then walks behind them (B) carrying a drink :beer:. He must have circled round off screen as he walks behind them again (C), but no drink this time. Can be seen again when Londo stops to notice the nearby women laughing at his Anatomically-Incorrect Action Figure. Ranger comes in from the left (D) to walk by Londo (E).

...Sorry about not being able to embed the images so they can be seen, but whenever I try, get an error message. But even if the pictures aren't viewable, can watch the episode at around 24 1/2-ish minutes in and see the Same Ranger walking by several times. :)

Attachments

• A_0214-Honor_24m49s.jpg
    A_0214-Honor_24m49s.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 3
  • B_0214-Honor_24m52s.jpg
    B_0214-Honor_24m52s.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 3
  • C_0214-Honor_25m42s.jpg
    C_0214-Honor_25m42s.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 3
  • D_0214-Honor_26m02s.jpg
    D_0214-Honor_26m02s.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 3
  • E_0214-Honor_26m04s.jpg
    E_0214-Honor_26m04s.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Ranger-Spotting is unreliable as am randomly skipping about and getting distracted by stopping to watch the episode:). Had to re-watch the interview scene with poor Corwin trying to answer questions knowing that Ivanova is standing Right Behind Him.

Episode 15 - And Now For a Word - saw one Ranger during the final scene with G'kar around 40 minutes in. Ranger is standing off to the left as G'Kar is walking by speaking to the ISN crew.

Attachments

• 0215-Word_40m10s.jpg
    0215-Word_40m10s.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
HAHAHA Yeah I have tried to do it at well and I always end up being distracted by the scenes and getting caught up in them and forgetting to look in the background. LOL :LOL:

Episode 18 - Confessions and Lamentations: Beginning about 42 minutes in, at a bar :beer: with ISN playing on a wall monitor in the background. Franklin is sitting in the foreground and a Ranger at the end of the bar heads off screen to the right.

?? Possibly brief glimpses in other episodes, but only from the side/rear. Outfit is distinctive, but am trying for scenes where the emblem is visible. ??

Attachments

• 0218-Confessions_42m10s.jpg
    0218-Confessions_42m10s.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Episode 19 - Divided Loyalties: More of a Ranger in the Foreground. At about 2 mins 25-ish seconds a Ranger arrives to retrieve a data crystal from a mortally wounded person. He might be referred to in-scene as "Derek" (Edit: not "Eric") but the credits appear to list him as "First Man".

Attachments

• 0219-Divided_02m40.jpg
    0219-Divided_02m40.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 0219-Divided_03m08s.jpg
    0219-Divided_03m08s.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I always found it surprising that at this stage in the show there was a Ranger on Mars helping the Mars resistance, since their remit was to watch what the Shadows were doing, not getting involved in local politics. Unless the Rangers knew about the Shadows' connection to Clark and just didn't tell anyone on B5?

I always found it surprising that at this stage in the show there was a Ranger on Mars helping the Mars resistance, since their remit was to watch what the Shadows were doing, not getting involved in local politics. Unless the Rangers knew about the Shadows' connection to Clark and just didn't tell anyone on B5?

Minbari never tell anyone the whole truth. :)

Perhaps they were investigating the sleeper program as that would be a direct threat to B5? Although they had to be aware of Morden's activities, and if he was seen meeting with people on Earth - Clark, Psi Corps, etc - uh oh... The audience sees some of this at the end of Matters of Honor (301) but guessing people on B5 can't make the connection till they get access to Ivanova's recording in Voices of Authority (305) and possibly recognize Morden's voice as the person speaking to Clark.

Last edited:
Ugggggh now I have to go back and watch the episode for context, but I don't ever recall thinking the Rangers were helping the resistance. Ah shucks! Forced to watch DIVIDED LOYALTIES for research purposes....... :LOL:;):thumbsup:

Ugggggh now I have to go back and watch the episode for context, but I don't ever recall thinking the Rangers were helping the resistance. Ah shucks! Forced to watch DIVIDED LOYALTIES for research purposes....... :LOL:;):thumbsup:

Were Rangers actively helping or just relaying a message that went from the Data Crystal to Lyta's ears? All speculation. :confused: Then again, how "secret" can your organization be if everyone wears a particular outfit with a distinctive pin on the front? The Shadows knew enough to go after the Ranger training base at the beginning of season three. Edit/Update: When Marcus and Franklin met with the Mars Resistance two years-ish later, their contacts didn't appear to be aware of "Rangers". Other than "You're a long way from Texas son."

Last edited:
Guessing the final scene of The Long Twilight Struggle wouldn't count since the Rangers were there to meet Sheridan, just as one met with Garibaldi in Coming of Shadows. Kept skipping about and noticed a Ranger near the end of Episode 22 - The Fall of Night. With Marcus arriving in season 3, would he become B5's Resident (and only) Ranger on the station?

Beginning around 40 minutes 45 seconds-ish, a Narn and Drazi are having drinks :beer: and discussing what they saw in the garden. Ranger comes in from the left, passes behind Londo, and exits to the right.

Attachments

• 0222-Fall_40m50s.jpg
    0222-Fall_40m50s.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 8
Okay so yeah going back to DIVIDED LOYALTIES just because I wanted to mention that you tortured me into having to watch it for the 30TH time. :guffaw: I didn't see any direct indication that The Rangers were helping the Mars Resistance. All I see is a member of the Resistance meeting with a Ranger. For all we know it was just because of a personal relationship. I look at it terms of Marcus Cole. Marcus had contacts. He did them favors they did him favors. If he had contact with someone in the Mars Resistance it doesn't mean the Rangers were directly helping or supporting the Resistance. ;)

Back