• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

RIP David Carradine

Markas

His Majesty
Apparantly, he was in Thailand to film a movie and hung himself in his hotel room. What a sad end for a fascinating actor. I watched Kung Fu in the 70's, and he was quite amazing in Kill Bill.

BANGKOK (AP) -- Actor David Carradine, star of the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" who also had a wide-ranging career in the movies, has been found dead in the Thai capital, Bangkok. A news report said he was found hanged in his hotel room and was believed to have committed suicide.

A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy, Michael Turner, confirmed the death of the 72-year-old actor. He said the embassy was informed by Thai authorities that Carradine died either late Wednesday or early Thursday, but he could not provide further details out of consideration for his family.

The Web site of the Thai newspaper The Nation cited unidentified police sources as saying Carradine was found Thursday hanged in his luxury hotel room.
It said Carradine was in Bangkok to shoot a movie and had been staying at the hotel since Tuesday.

The newspaper said Carradine could not be contacted after he failed to appear for a meal with the rest of the film crew on Wednesday, and that his body was found by a hotel maid at 10 a.m. Thursday morning. The name of the movie was not immediately available.

It said a preliminary police investigation found that he had hanged himself with a cord used with the room's curtains. It cited police as saying he had been dead at least 12 hours and there was no sign that he had been assaulted.

So weird, and saddening. I heard him on the radio not long ago. He seemed to be loving life, quite centered. But then I know pretty well that you can put a brave face on internal despair.

I met him as Bill, not having ever seen Kung Fu. But boy, did he set the standard and leave a mark...

Wow. Well he was 72, when I read this headline I just sort of assumed that he passed on due to natural causes. Suicide? At that age? Really? Makes pretty much no sense to me at all.

Wow. Well he was 72, when I read this headline I just sort of assumed that he passed on due to natural causes. Suicide? At that age? Really? Makes pretty much no sense to me at all.
That was pretty much my thought too. You make it through 72 years, and are still in good enough health to act, why would anyone want to kill themself? Tragic to say the very least

Tragic? Sorry, but there is nothing tragic about suicide. Tragic is when a just-married couple gets killed in a car accident because of a drunk driver running a red light. Tragic is a 5-year-old accidentally gunned down in a shootout. Suicide has never struck me as tragic.

I don't think it was suicide. I think he had an asphyxiation fetish. Reports are stating he was found hanging in the closet with a cable around his neck (and around his genitals.) Sounds like he was "getting off" and went a little too far.

Tragic? Sorry, but there is nothing tragic about suicide. Tragic is when a just-married couple gets killed in a car accident because of a drunk driver running a red light. Tragic is a 5-year-old accidentally gunned down in a shootout. Suicide has never struck me as tragic.

Speaking as someone who tried it once -- years ago; I'm somewhat better now -- gee, thanks!

I think suicide is terribly tragic. There's a soul that's hurting. I knew a guy in undergrad who was a brilliant writer and on his way to really doing some great things.

He struggled with depression for a long time. His insurance ran out after graduating and made too much to qualify for medicaid (the limit in Denver was $800/month.) He couldn't afford his meds and was having a very difficult time finding a therapist to take him on a sliding scale that he could afford.

He jumped off a 6 story building 3 weeks later. To me, that's not only tragic that he had to live with such a crappy condition, but the system failed him as well.

Now, I will say that I have no empathy for people who "cry wolf" and threaten suicide for attention, or as emotional blackmail (i.e. omg, don't break up, I'll kill myself!) But, I do empathize. If Caradine really did commit suicide, then I can only conclude that he was in a terribly dark place, so dark that he saw no other alternative.

Tragic - the loss and the guilt anyone who was in his life and loved him will feel that they didn't see it coming or weren't able to help him resolve his issues. My lover's friend committed suicide, and my lover fights those feelings all the time during certain times of the year and events.

Depression is a different story to me. Don't disagree there. Suicide can sometimes be the end result of it. I just don't think that from a dictionary standpoint the word tragic applies to depression or suicide. I think I need to pull out my thesaurus to see what word better fits them. :) That's all I was really saying. Perhaps I was being to technical/literal.

I don't think it was suicide. I think he had an asphyxiation fetish. Reports are stating he was found hanging in the closet with a cable around his neck (and around his genitals.) Sounds like he was "getting off" and went a little too far.

OK....things I really didn't want to know. I knew I was going to regret looking more into this. :)

Last edited:
Yup!

Police Lt. Gen. Police Lt. Gen. Worapong Chewprecha has told reporters that Carradine was found with a rope tied around his genitals and another rope around his neck. He says it was unclear whether Carradine died of suicide, suffocation or heart failure due to an orgasm.

*grins evilly at Recoil's discomfiture*

That last possibility... now that's a worthy exit.

I was at a party with David once, a few years ago. I talked with him for a while. He had a great sense of humor and seemed somewhat uncomfortable at the same time. Of course, that could have been caused by me. ;) This was slightly before Kill Bill was released.

Whatever caused his death, it is a sad end for a fascinating man.

Not sure if discomfort is the right word. Grossed out at the mental picture that article gave me. I hope that is not true and just a rumor...

You are right Markas...he was a fascinating individual to be sure.

My favorite fact about Carradine is how he got famous- the Kung Fu TV show is what launched his fame, but the role was originally slated for Bruce Lee. It was decided that Lee was... get this... too Asian looking to star in a TV show- called Kung Fu! Hah!

Oddly, I mostly associate David Carradine with his movie "Bound for Glory" which is (supposedly?) a biography (docudrama?) of Woodie Guthrie's life. He was so good in that part, so convincing that I forgot very quickly about Kung Fu.

I wasn't sure if I should post what has actually been reported, I think, in some parts of the world: that it sounds more like an accidental death rather than suicide. I too thought that he just doesn't seem to be the right type (age, circumstances, etc) to be deciding on suicide right now. I associate it (rightly or wrongly) with someone with a terminal illness, or someone in intolerable conditions at the time (such as if he hadn't been working and wanted to be, or whatever). So I admit, it makes more sense to me that it was accidental.

72, you can't exactly say he never had a chance at life. He was quite an active 72 year old if he was making a film. He had a good many years. May he be remembered for the work he did, and his life.

At this point, no one thinks it was suicide. Besides the rope(s) around the neck and genitals, it has been reported that his wrists were tried behind him, so someone else must have been involved with whatever he was doing. It is possible someone tried to make it look like a sexual fetish, as a coverup for murder. Keith Carradine, his brother, and his family, have asked the FBI to join the investigation, and they are applying to the Thai authorities for permission to do so. The Thais carried out an autopsy. His body is being shipped back to the US without embalming, so another autopsy can be conducted here.

I'll admit to being a big David Carradine fan. It's hard to understand now just how different Kung Fu was, when it came out. The US was at war with North Viet Nam. We hated and feared Red China. Violence ruled the day. But, every week, we saw a wise, thoughtful "Asian" pacifist facing down intolerance, prejudice, and hatred with as little force, and as gently, as he could manage, with a fair amount of Zen thrown in.

He's actually been in a lot of decent films, but Bound For Glory, mentioned by Hypatia is surely one of the best. It is based on Woody Guthrie's fine autobiography of the same title (read it!) The great cinematographer Haskel Wexler shot it. It was one of the first uses of the steadicam, and the opening has a really long shot using it. Wexler won an Academy Award for his work, and BFG was nominated for five other Oscars.

Jade J, thanks for updating. I wasn't aware of the new developments. Geesh, that is scary! I hope, for his family's sake, they uncover as much of the truth as possible.

I loved Kung Fu. Though I didn't watch it until it was in syndication, I remember how cool it was!

I have boxed sets of the three seasons. Friday night, a friend and I watched the first 3 eps of the 3rd season, which I had not watched yet.

It maded an impression on me when I was a kid (watching it in syndication also, but it was new to me, as they say). For a show of its type it was well done, yes. Weekly dramas were usually a bit formula, but its formula was the only thing like it I'd ever seen (or my brother, he's the one who turned me on to it by convincing me it wasn't just a kung fu show. I recall him even saying "you'll like it, it's got a lo of philosophy in it", which impressed me because that wasn't something he usually looked for in shows.

A show had to be unique to be a favorite of both my brother any me at the same time.

As far as the latest developments go: it still go easily be either accidentally death during a "sex game" (I hate calling this kind of thing that, makes it sound too innocent) or murder. At this point I actually kind of hope they can keep the investigation and conclusion out of the press (not possible, I know, but I think it's a matter for the law and the family now).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back