• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS, Crusade, and the Tail of TNT

I guess the unspoken assumption WB is making is that with all these new distribution outlets other than TV and marketing theories about consumer choice and the long tails etc being in vogue, in future it might prove more profitable to make a large number of varied, low cost productions for niche audiences than to invest in big, expensive blockbuster productions (something that's already well advanced in the music industry). So if that's right, and the conditions have changed since the days when direct-to-video was a mark of failure and might lead to a few rentals at best, it should work to B5's benefit, since if B5 is anything it's low-cost and niche.

How it affects what the actors and crew get paid I don't know. I guess in theory market forces should take care of it, in practice it could depend on how fast their unions catch up.

I know that Direct to DVD used to be thought of as a lower form but my impression is that that's been changing in recent years. (Joe D--any input here?) As for the pay scale, I don't have any idea. It depends on how the unions negotiated the contract. I know that for many years, pay/residual rates were lower for cable channels while they were still finding their market but that's probably changing these days. Could be the same has happened with Direct to DVD venues.

As for attacting quality cast and crew, that's a nebulous question. A lot of them will weigh what the project is above the pay scale. Others will accept offers rather than be out of work for that period or living in hope of something better coming along for that time period.

Which is a long way of saying...I don't have the foggiest notion. <g>

Jan

Thanks, Jan. But what I meant was: does it usually pay well enough to pull the same kind of quality actors to projects? Well, and quality directors and everything else.

I was under the impression that direct to DVD was a market assumed to be "lower" than television or movies.

All of the unions have different contracts, of course, but they usually try to aim for parity when possible. Here's the relevant portion of the 2004 Minimum Basic Agreement (the current contract) for the Writers Guild of America (West) Remember that writers have the least clout of pretty much any group in Hollywood. (And that includes stuntmen and grips. :))

MADE-FOR PAY TELEVISION OR VIDEOCASSETTE/VIDEODISC

The minimum initial compensation for a writer shall be the same as the applicable minimum initial compensation for a "free" television program. Where the program is of a type generally produced for network prime time, the network prime time rates are to be utilized.

Direct-to-video has been around long enough that the guilds have rules for it. Note, of course, that this applies to minimums. As Jan rightly notes, the actual compensation comes down to what kind of deal the actors, etc. can make, since hardly any recognizable TV actor is ever working for "scale" in any TV series or movie.

Pay rates on a project like B5:TLT are less a matter of the medium and the contract minimums than the budget. (This is also true when it comes to everything else by the way. If Jim Carrey wants $25 million dollars to star in your comedy and the total budget is $40 million, you call Rob Schneider instead and pay him $5 million. ;)) Warner Bros. business model for their new direct-to-DVD division is for the discs to turn a profit based solely on DVD sales, with any sale of broadcast or other rights being gravy, so they will budget them accordingly and will probably be conservative in their sales estimates until they see how the first few projects they do work out. So that, rather than this being a direct-to-DVD project is the limiting factor.

That said, there's no necessary connection between the quality of someone's work and their asking price. While it is true that long-established directors, actors and writers might have minimums of their own that would bust the budget for something like TLT, it is also true that there are plenty of new talents without track-records and an established "market value" who could do outstanding work on lower budget projects like this. Direct-2-DVD could become the kind of artistic bootcamp that "B" pictures, Roger Coreman films, Direct-to-VHS, TV movies and now studio-distributed "independent" films have been for years. At the other end of the spectrum you have people who are so well established and so well paid that they don't have to worry about a perception that their price has gone "down" if they decide to do a project for scale as a favor to a friend or because they just like the project. (Bill Murray did Tootsie for next to nothing because he wanted to work with Dustin Hoffman. He didn't even get screen credit for the theatrical release, although I think his name was later added to the end-credits on home video when SAG pitched a fit.)

So the short answer to your question is, "It depends." :)

Joe

Ah, that clarifies things for me a lot. :LOL:

Well, a little. I'll never pretend to understand "Hollywood"-type finances and contracts. I'm sure the agents understand it all, though.

One of the side effects of the second of "The Lost Tales" will be to set the pay rates for SciFi Direct-2-DVD. A similar thing happened to the out of Hollywood crew pensions during the filming of Babylon 5.

These sales are going to be really important.

It's the Uniform change one, with the Princess of a black guy designer, going around talking about color schemes, and Neroon (John Vickery) as a human. The other half of the storyline was the passing of the Alien intelligence through touch.

That black dude was annoying. :LOL:

Back