• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

question about a cut scene from early episode.....

i have heard rumors about a scene that was either cut entirely or re-edited from a season one episode that involved talia and ivonava sahring a kiss. is this true? and if so, why was it cut? i'm kinda suprised JMS would allow that

Hmm if it was true I think it would have occured in season 2 in the episode Divided Loyalties where Talia and Ivanova srend the night together .But as to whether the rumor is true or not Iam not entirely sure.

Usually this rumor is attached to Talia's final episode, "Divided Loyalties" with some fans even claiming that they saw the kiss in the show's first run and that it was cut later.

These fans are wrong. :) *

JMS, Claudia and Andrea are all on record as saying that no such scene was ever shot for any episode in any season.

JMS wanted the implications of the Talia/Ivanova relationship to be clear if you were paying attention, but also subtle enough that it didn't become what the show was about. Since he was still in the "slow build-up" phase when Andrea decided to leave, JMS had them spend the night together in the same bed in the course of Talia's last episode without banging the audience over the head with something as obvious as a kiss. But the episode itself is pretty clear about what happened (with Talia reaching over to touch Susan and only then discovering that she's gone, and Talia 2.0's mocking comments to Susan at the end.) Susans' confession that she thought she loved Talia during the modified "rebirth" ceremony was another clear indicator. (I've seen fans try to rationalize this as Susan telling Delenn that she loved Talia "as a friend". But Susan is supposed to be revealing a secret that she has never told anyone else. Why would she keep a friendship with Talia, even a close one, secret? That certainly wouldn't fit in with the confessions that the other characters made while collecting their Army of Light uniforms.)

Anyway, JMS later stated in a usenet post that the two did indeed have sex when they spent the night together in "Divided Loyalties" and that it was the first time they had. (And that Talia did not detect Susan's latent telepathy because she kept her normal blocks in place - assuming that Susan was a "mundane" and that any telepathic contact during sex would therefore be a violation.)

Regards,

Joe

* When S4 went into the rerun rotation on TNT fans also complained that the scene showing Sheridan and Delenn's wedding had been cut from either "Rising Star" or "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars". Of course, there was no such scene and there never had been. But fans were adament, describing in detail in TNT message board posts the contents of a scene that they had constructed in their own imaginations and made part of their memory of the episodes. The funny thing was reading 20 or 30 of these messages where none of the details matched. Similarly fans who understood what was going on in "Divided Loyalties" may have pictured what a Talia/Susan kiss would have looked like and then incorporated that image into their recollection of the episode. The next time they saw it, with no kiss, they assumed that it had been cut and thus a legend was born. :)

Re: question about a cut scene from early episode.

interesting, thanks for the explanation. i had heard that JMS removed the scene because of some protests from the production company or something. but your explanation definately makes more sense. it's kinda like some star wars fans who swear they saw the cut biggs and luke scenes in the theater when it originaly came out. it of course wasn't but they still swear it was...

Re: question about a cut scene from early episode.

interesting, thanks for the explanation. i had heard that JMS removed the scene because of some protests from the production company or something. but your explanation definately makes more sense. it's kinda like some star wars fans who swear they saw the cut biggs and luke scenes in the theater when it originaly came out. it of course wasn't but they still swear it was...

Although apparently the images or very, very short segments of footage did find their way onto TV, which combined with the novelization might have created those memories... which are indeed, as you say, false.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back