B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Other TV-related forums > Non-B5 books, TV & films

Old May 4th 03, 17:01   #21
AntonyF
Administrator

Re: The official X:Mutants United (Spoiler) Thread

Firstly, who is Beast and where was he in this movie?

Secondly, I liked it. A lot. I felt there were pacing issues, more in the first half of the film. It was up down up down. But all in all, great.

I feel, once again, I want to see a series of this. Of course these actors wouldn't be in it. But they're good characters.
AntonyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 03, 17:43   #22
Demon
Dead Account

Beast is a character in the comics, who hasn't yet been introduced in the movie, except that the Beast's real name is Hank McCoy, who is being interiewed on TV in the background of the scene in the bar, as described above.

Nice to see the actress get the chance to do at least one scene without all that blue make-up

I went to see the movie tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it, even with a 10 minute hiatus in the middle when the projector broke!

I think Alan Cummings did a great job of Nightcrawler, but isn't he a younger character in the comics? One of the kids rather than the teachers? Somehow he comes across older in the movie
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 03, 17:59   #23
AntonyF
Administrator

Ahh. Because Steve Bacic is Beast... or that guy... I'd need to add him to my review in NC-17. But I can't say I remember seeing him on screen. Or the screen's screen.
AntonyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 03, 18:11   #24
Demon
Dead Account

He was on screen for all of two seconds

If it hadn't been mentioned above AND while channel flicking earlier this evening I caught a few minutes of the cartoon episode in which he turns himself into Beast, I would never have noticed him
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 03, 21:42   #25
Glacophane
Ambassador

Quote:
Sentinals
I want 'em! the next movie should have them, but due to Xavier's speech to the president - and the introduction of the Phoenix story, we'll probably won't get 'em. A pity.
I want 'em too! Nimrod would be bad-ass as well. He's one tough mofo.

I saw a few cameos..I caught the Beast/Hank McCoy on the tv. Jubiliee in the pit and also Remy/Gambit by name only on the computer monitor when Mystique is breaking into the facility.

Can someone help me with this...didn't Senator Kelly eventually help to create Genosha?
Glacophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 03, 22:47   #26
GKarsEye
First One

I thought the flick was pretty damn cool. The women alone made it worthwhile.

Minor criticisms:

1. The scope of the story and sheer number of characters took away the intimacy and depth of individual stories, like what was done with Magneto and Wolverine in the first one. Fortunately, I go into this sort of movie more interested in effects, action, and babes, and I was more than happy with the latter.

2. No Beast- my favorite X-Man! But, as I've learned in this thread, it looks like he may be in the next one. Besides, he's not a hot chick, and I'd rather have more of those, which they did.

3. They showed that the Senator dude from the last movie was a mutant, but they didn't do anything with it. Why? But they sure did lots of stuff with those sexy babes.

Halle Berry coming down the stairs in that tight white shirt was brilliant cinema.

I like the Pyro sub-story, which should pay off big in the next sequel.

Did I mention there are some fine looking ladies in this film?

Wolverine kicks major ass.

I want to take Rogue home, comfort her, and take care of her. She's so cute!
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th 03, 23:04   #27
Glacophane
Ambassador

Quote:
1. The scope of the story and sheer number of characters took away the intimacy and depth of individual stories, like what was done with Magneto and Wolverine in the first one. Fortunately, I go into this sort of movie more interested in effects, action, and babes, and I was more than happy with the latter.

There are soo many characters in this X-universe and after awhile you could completely bog down the story by using too many. I would hate to be the scriptwriters and others that had to decide which ones to use for the movie. I wouldn't be able to stop adding more and more...

Quote:
They showed that the Senator dude from the last movie was a mutant, but they didn't do anything with it. Why?
I'm not sure if I understand this one but yes in the first one Magneto turned the Senator into a mutant and then he died at the mansion. I'm assuming that between the time of the Senator's death and the beginning of the second movie, Mystique was playing him, keeping him alive to counteract the mutant registration act.
Glacophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th 03, 00:09   #28
Sinclair

I just got back from seeing it and I thought it was awesome! Nightcrawler's teleportation was magnificently done and I liked how the interpersonal relationships were developing. What else can I say that hasn't already been said in this thread? Loads of hot women certainly helped. I thought the whole raid on the mansion was spectacular, with Colossus and Siren. The Hank McCoy/Beast cameo was nice, as was seeing Remy/Gambit's name on that computer screen.

One thing that's been bugging me...who's that little kid that was changing the channels whenever he blinked his eyes? I've been trying to figure out who he is but my mind is a complete blank.
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th 03, 02:34   #29
Jade Jaguar
First One

I liked the film, but I do have a couple of small quibbles.
1. How the heck did Magneto know where the X plane was going to crash when it was out of control, so he could be there to save it? I don't believe we saw any signs of communication spies, or any info transfer to explain it.

2.It didn't seem necessary for Jean Grey to sacrifice herself to save the others. She could have done what she did from inside the ship, or just lifted the ship above the flood while she repaired it. They easily could have shown some reason for this, instead of the lame "She made a choice" thing.

I liked Nightcrawler a lot. I am a bit dissapointed that we have seen two films now without my favorite Storm kind of a scene, where she rises up into the sky, creates a huge storm filled with lightening and thunder, then absorbs its power into her. Also, it was clear to me at the end from Prof. X's actions, that he sensed that Jean Grey was still alive. And I agree that they are setting up for Dark Phoenix. By the way, this film was 2:13:42 long!
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th 03, 09:06   #30
PsionTen
First One

Quote:
2.It didn't seem necessary for Jean Grey to sacrifice herself to save the others. She could have done what she did from inside the ship, or just lifted the ship above the flood while she repaired it. They easily could have shown some reason for this, instead of the lame "She made a choice" thing.

Some people have surmised that it was actually Jean Grey's out-of-control powers that kept the X-Jet from working... like when she made all those electronic gizmos go crazy earlier. And that she had to leave the plane in order for it to work.

You can buy that or not, but what I don't get is how she kept Nightcrawler from teleporting off the plane
PsionTen is offline   Reply With Quote