• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The official X²:Mutants United (Spoiler) Thread

Re: The official X²:Mutants United (Spoiler) Thread

Firstly, who is Beast and where was he in this movie?

Secondly, I liked it. A lot. I felt there were pacing issues, more in the first half of the film. It was up down up down. But all in all, great.

I feel, once again, I want to see a series of this. Of course these actors wouldn't be in it. But they're good characters.

Beast is a character in the comics, who hasn't yet been introduced in the movie, except that the Beast's real name is Hank McCoy, who is being interiewed on TV in the background of the scene in the bar, as described above.

Nice to see the actress get the chance to do at least one scene without all that blue make-up :)

I went to see the movie tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it, even with a 10 minute hiatus in the middle when the projector broke!

I think Alan Cummings did a great job of Nightcrawler, but isn't he a younger character in the comics? One of the kids rather than the teachers? Somehow he comes across older in the movie

Ahh. Because Steve Bacic is Beast... or that guy... I'd need to add him to my review in NC-17. But I can't say I remember seeing him on screen. Or the screen's screen.

He was on screen for all of two seconds :)

If it hadn't been mentioned above AND while channel flicking earlier this evening I caught a few minutes of the cartoon episode in which he turns himself into Beast, I would never have noticed him

Sentinals
I want 'em! the next movie should have them, but due to Xavier's speech to the president - and the introduction of the Phoenix story, we'll probably won't get 'em. A pity.
I want 'em too! Nimrod would be bad-ass as well. He's one tough mofo.

I saw a few cameos..I caught the Beast/Hank McCoy on the tv. Jubiliee in the pit and also Remy/Gambit by name only on the computer monitor when Mystique is breaking into the facility.

Can someone help me with this...didn't Senator Kelly eventually help to create Genosha?

I thought the flick was pretty damn cool. The women alone made it worthwhile.

Minor criticisms:

1. The scope of the story and sheer number of characters took away the intimacy and depth of individual stories, like what was done with Magneto and Wolverine in the first one. Fortunately, I go into this sort of movie more interested in effects, action, and babes, and I was more than happy with the latter.

2. No Beast- my favorite X-Man! But, as I've learned in this thread, it looks like he may be in the next one. Besides, he's not a hot chick, and I'd rather have more of those, which they did.

3. They showed that the Senator dude from the last movie was a mutant, but they didn't do anything with it. Why? But they sure did lots of stuff with those sexy babes.

Halle Berry coming down the stairs in that tight white shirt was brilliant cinema.

I like the Pyro sub-story, which should pay off big in the next sequel.

Did I mention there are some fine looking ladies in this film?

Wolverine kicks major ass.

I want to take Rogue home, comfort her, and take care of her. She's so cute!

1. The scope of the story and sheer number of characters took away the intimacy and depth of individual stories, like what was done with Magneto and Wolverine in the first one. Fortunately, I go into this sort of movie more interested in effects, action, and babes, and I was more than happy with the latter.
There are soo many characters in this X-universe and after awhile you could completely bog down the story by using too many. I would hate to be the scriptwriters and others that had to decide which ones to use for the movie. I wouldn't be able to stop adding more and more...

They showed that the Senator dude from the last movie was a mutant, but they didn't do anything with it. Why?
I'm not sure if I understand this one but yes in the first one Magneto turned the Senator into a mutant and then he died at the mansion. I'm assuming that between the time of the Senator's death and the beginning of the second movie, Mystique was playing him, keeping him alive to counteract the mutant registration act.

I just got back from seeing it and I thought it was awesome! Nightcrawler's teleportation was magnificently done and I liked how the interpersonal relationships were developing. What else can I say that hasn't already been said in this thread? Loads of hot women certainly helped. I thought the whole raid on the mansion was spectacular, with Colossus and Siren. The Hank McCoy/Beast cameo was nice, as was seeing Remy/Gambit's name on that computer screen.

One thing that's been bugging me...who's that little kid that was changing the channels whenever he blinked his eyes? I've been trying to figure out who he is but my mind is a complete blank.

I liked the film, but I do have a couple of small quibbles.
1. How the heck did Magneto know where the X plane was going to crash when it was out of control, so he could be there to save it? I don't believe we saw any signs of communication spies, or any info transfer to explain it.

2.It didn't seem necessary for Jean Grey to sacrifice herself to save the others. She could have done what she did from inside the ship, or just lifted the ship above the flood while she repaired it. They easily could have shown some reason for this, instead of the lame "She made a choice" thing.

I liked Nightcrawler a lot. I am a bit dissapointed that we have seen two films now without my favorite Storm kind of a scene, where she rises up into the sky, creates a huge storm filled with lightening and thunder, then absorbs its power into her. Also, it was clear to me at the end from Prof. X's actions, that he sensed that Jean Grey was still alive. And I agree that they are setting up for Dark Phoenix. By the way, this film was 2:13:42 long!

2.It didn't seem necessary for Jean Grey to sacrifice herself to save the others. She could have done what she did from inside the ship, or just lifted the ship above the flood while she repaired it. They easily could have shown some reason for this, instead of the lame "She made a choice" thing.

Some people have surmised that it was actually Jean Grey's out-of-control powers that kept the X-Jet from working... like when she made all those electronic gizmos go crazy earlier. And that she had to leave the plane in order for it to work.

You can buy that or not, but what I don't get is how she kept Nightcrawler from teleporting off the plane

You can buy that or not, but what I don't get is how she kept Nightcrawler from teleporting off the plane
Jean is able to inhibit the "talents" of some mutants using a mental block of some sort. As a young budding Phoenix, it was probably child's play, even at her early stage of development :)

They showed that the Senator dude from the last movie was a mutant, but they didn't do anything with it. Why?

Somebody replied to this statement that he didn’t understand what is meant by this, since the senator dies in the first film. But I think I know what’s being hinted at. There has been some debate over the senator’s death scene, who says he died? We all assumed it, Storm assumed it. But like Magneto says near the end of the movie: “Are you sure you saw what you think you saw?” (or something similar).

What if the senator didn’t die? What if turning to water was part of his next evolutionary step in becoming a mutant? Maybe in a next film he’ll learn (or has already learned, off camera) how to rematerialise himself into human form. It makes sense, especially when you look at the very tiny role for the actor in X2. Why would he reprise his role of Kelly for such an insubstantial part, unless he got confirmation that he would return for a next movie with a much bigger substantial part.

I haven't seen the first one in a while and don't remember the details, such as how the senator died and if they implied he could come back. Also, I admit I didn't think of Mystique immitating him, which is quite possible. However, I find it implausible logistically- how could someone find the time to be both a senator and an evil supervillain?

At the end of X1 they make it clear that it's Mystique who's the senator... and they glowed his eyes in the same fashion in X2 to again indicate that it's Mystique.

I know it's not a major role, but I assumed it was just a bridge between the two and not a major plot point.

I haven't seen the first one in a while and don't remember the details, such as how the senator died and if they implied he could come back. Also, I admit I didn't think of Mystique immitating him, which is quite possible. However, I find it implausible logistically- how could someone find the time to be both a senator and an evil supervillain?
It WAS Mystique impersonating him again, just as she did at the end of the last movie. They clued the viewing audience into this, by showing a quick scene with the eyes of the Senators changing to Mystique's.

Ok, thanks. I didn't remember Mystique being the Senator at the end of the last one, and for some reason I thought that all mutants could do that glowy-eyed thing.

I will have the same memory problems when I see Matrix 2. :)

However, I find it implausible logistically- how could someone find the time to be both a senator and an evil supervillain?
The same thought passed briefly through my mind and then it was gone once I saw Mystique all nice 'n blue..Everything else just disappeared. :D

Yes. The women in this film were quite hot.

I'm just sayin' this in case, you know, some people didn't catch that detail in the film or my review. ;)

Gkarseye, I'm with ya on this one. :D

I'll see your hot women, and raise you a couple of hot men too.

This was one gooood film. :D

Famke and James though. If it was just those two, I'd be content. I'm not greedy.

PsionTen, I agree that Jean's presence inhibiting the ship would be a good explanation, and I think they should have made that clear, infact, I think SHE should have made that clear to the others, to try and halt their attempts to save her, that would have made sense.

I, too, believe that Mystique was impersonating the Senator. As to how could a Senator find time to also be an evil supervillian? I find that plausible, but refuse to explain, on the grounds that I don't want to turn this into a political thread. :D ;) :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back