• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Torchwood Miracle Day

Sindatur

Regular
So, anybody watching? 3 episodes in, not quite as good as Children of Earth, but, pretty close, and this year's Series is 10 episodes long, so, a lot of time left for the big revelations to come.

I'm really enjoying it, and glad Starz decided to fund it. I don't think much of Rex, though, the character/acting just isn't hitting a mark for me, though I enjoyed Mehki Phifer in Dawn of the Dead?

Really cool premise, and I am enjoying the Medical Board Meetings and exploring all the biological things that would come about in a situation like this, that I had never thought of.

Hopefully, after episode 3 we will see the new team start to be a cohesive unit, rather than simply as reluctant allies forced to work together

"Dead is Dead". :bolian:

I mean, where else can you even hear that on television? Seriously. I adore this series, and I've been very impressed with the hard-science (or sounding like hard-science) that has been brought up. Some rather non-obvious points are being made that go far beyond the immediately obvious.

The sense of urgency in Torchwood has always impressed me. I didn't think they'd be able to keep it up this long. But they have great writers.

Really cool premise, and I am enjoying the Medical Board Meetings and exploring all the biological things that would come about in a situation like this, that I had never thought of.

I enjoy this aspect of it, too, and I like Mekhi Pfifer. Pullman's scenery chewing is entertaining, too. He's doing something with his enunciation that is just slightly *off*, and it makes the character weirder and more disturbing.

If only I could get over my dislike of Alexa Havins, she whose character Babe ate and destroyed "All My Children." At least she's had some diction coaching (she used to have a sibilant "s" that made dogs cry).

I enjoy this aspect of it, too, and I like Mekhi Pfifer. Pullman's scenery chewing is entertaining, too. He's doing something with his enunciation that is just slightly *off*, and it makes the character weirder and more disturbing.

If only I could get over my dislike of Alexa Havins, she whose character Babe ate and destroyed "All My Children." At least she's had some diction coaching (she used to have a sibilant "s" that made dogs cry).

I actually like Esther quite a bit, and yea, Pullman is doing a creepy good job.

silibant "S"? Does that mean she whistles on her "S" sounds? I had that problem as a kid, couldn't make an "S" sound without a whistle coming out. Still happens very rarely. Funny thing, if I try to whistle, I can't whistle to save my life. "She Sells Seashells by the Seashore" came out as a symphony of whistles, LOL.

The themes brought up so far really were tailored for our fears of today.

Blast it, would someone run by me again the code for spoilers, it's been a long time since I've used it.

The themes brought up so far really were tailored for our fears of today.

Blast it, would someone run by me again the code for spoilers, it's been a long time since I've used it.
[spoiler- subject] change the "-" to "=" [/spoiler]

Thanks, Sindatur!

Spoiler for Torchwood Miracle Day:

So, what do you think the reason for the Miracle is? Is it just an attempt to assassinate Jack? Who found him so quickly, to attempt to kill him, once the Miracle took place? Which set of aliens will be behind this one? :)

Episode 4 - Escape to LA - Loved it. Loved the Mare Winnigham cameo and her grisly fate, man that was cruel, eyeball still moving around to drive home the point. C. Thomas Howell was great too.

Really enjoyed the "Mission Impossible" scenes. Even Rex is now getting on my nerves less, not sure if he finally found the character, or they just toned down his "Angry Black Man just for the sake of being Angry" act.

Lots of stuff bubbling to the surface now, almost to the halfway point

Hyp, looks like we're getting close to some answers to your spoilered questions. Apparently we're dealing with someone from Jack's past, and all the not so subtle family dynamics being thrown about. First thing that comes to mind is the Farting Aliens, but, I seriously doubt Torchwood will go there. Next my brain goes to Jack's brother, but, not sure about that either

Last edited:
Or whether or not it's bigger than a personal grudge.

I actually like most of the characters, actually the ditzy American gal is the one I like the least. As far as the angry black man, well I"d be pretty miffed if I had to climb something like 33 floors while... well, you know. ;)

Torchwood wouldn't break its own style enough to bring those particular Dr. Who aliens in. Torchwood is hoping to be seen as sleek and sexy. Need I say more?

I"m still kind of thinking they may have made a mistake with the casting that would be a bit tricky to change now.

The following are spoilers for LAST SEASON'S Torchwood (Children of Earth):

Spoiler for Torchwood Children of Earth:

I think some of the character awkwardness wouldn't be there is they didn't think it would be a great idea to kill off almost all of the main characters in the last season, Children of Earth. I think too many authors (sci-fi in particular) use death as a cheap plot device. If you don't know what to write that will give a real kick to the emotions, kill someone off. Kill a bunch of 'em off at once, and make it a great season ender.

This season is kind of paying for that decision. But I do know many disagree with me on this score, and feel that in shows like Torchwood killing off almost everyone every season is actually quite "realistic". :LOL:

Or whether or not it's bigger than a personal grudge.

I actually like most of the characters, actually the ditzy American gal is the one I like the least. As far as the angry black man, well I"d be pretty miffed if I had to climb something like 33 floors while... well, you know. ;)

Torchwood wouldn't break its own style enough to bring those particular Dr. Who aliens in. Torchwood is hoping to be seen as sleek and sexy. Need I say more?

I"m still kind of thinking they may have made a mistake with the casting that would be a bit tricky to change now.

The following are spoilers for LAST SEASON'S Torchwood (Children of Earth):

Spoiler for Torchwood Children of Earth:

I think some of the character awkwardness wouldn't be there is they didn't think it would be a great idea to kill off almost all of the main characters in the last season, Children of Earth. I think too many authors (sci-fi in particular) use death as a cheap plot device. If you don't know what to write that will give a real kick to the emotions, kill someone off. Kill a bunch of 'em off at once, and make it a great season ender.

This season is kind of paying for that decision. But I do know many disagree with me on this score, and feel that in shows like Torchwood killing off almost everyone every season is actually quite "realistic". :LOL:

On Rex, oh yea, he had every reason to be angry running up the stairs. But, he was that same arrogant, angry, entitled guy when he got the promotion/leadership role in Ep 1.

Yea, I think all the new characters were kind of on the weak side at the start. Definitely the Americans. And I don't mean in a "they had to establish backstory" kind of way. Both Treme and Game of Thrones didn't seem to have that problem at all. Although they didn't care if anyone could follow exactly everything from the start, either. Torchwood probably has to, they won't be playing to HBO's audience.

RTD has documented issues writing straight men. But all the characters are improving, hope to see more of Tosh stand-in Esther.

Still enjoying this, not as good as Children of Earth (yet) but the high concept has such potential.

Oh, and I'm fairly certain that the Valeyard is behind it all. With the Rutons. Always the Rutons.

Last edited:
RTD has documented issues writing straight men. But all the characters are improving, hope to see more of Tosh stand-in Esther.

Still enjoying this, not as good as Children of Earth (yet) but the high concept has such potential.

I think the characters already have improved. Or am I just being forgiving because the plot is really giving everyone something fascinating to do?

I think it just got as good as Children of Earth. Before spoilers, I'll just say that a couple of choices in the story's plot and one particular job of acting absolutely blew me away this week:

Spoiler for from "Categories of Life":

I know they're really working the whole historic parallel angle. But is really is very believable. And I can't say the measures being taken are all that unbelievable, either. Many would see this as the only real solution. When a population that is already overstraining the planet's resources suddenly is thrust into this, It's a very bad situation. People do some incredible things when they feel cornered. And we have technology now to really could make it all a pretty "smooth operation". And we're definitely not above it. Not by a long shot.

O.K. the ending did surprise me a bit. You could kind of suspect what was coming, but they did a switch on me! I figured someone else would... end up very unhappy.

The speech:

Wow. I am going to be looking up what else that actor has done. That was just absolutely amazing. I mean, for christ's sake, I could almost see following this guy myself! :eek:

BOY, was THAT GOOD ACTING!! And, of course, good writing as well. When this stuff comes together (the research on the hard-science end of things, the writing, the plot, the acting....) in Torchwood, it really just explodes my imagination.

It's fucing HARD SCIENCE SCIENCE-FICTION! It must be doomed but I'm enjoying every single, wonderful minute of it! :LOL:

Oh, and I'm fairly certain that the Valeyard is behind it all. With the Rutons. Always the Rutons.[/QUOTE]

The overflow camps were extremely disturbing, very well done.

I'm hoping they are simply taking their time letting the aliens out of the bag. As good as this has been so far, I'll be very disappointed if Starz was afraid to include aliens, the story would still be good, but, it won't be Torchwood.

Real bummer about Vera

Last edited:
I doubt Starz is afraid of much on this. ARe there any indications that they are dictating any of the writing?

I actually kind of get the impression that the Starz network didn't really spend a lot of time or money getting the station's ads, intros to the show, and previews of next week's episode spots.

I get the idea that the season was done, and Starz agreed to be one of the distributers. Do they have any creative control at all?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back