• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Battle: Los Angeles

Demonn

Regular
This movie turned out to be way better than I thought it would be. The Trailer doesn't give you much to go on but I guess it gives you what you need. It shows aliens invading. :p

Anyway... it was a good scifi/action movie, check it out if that appeals.

Last edited:
This movie turned out to be way better than I thought it would be. The Trailer doesn't give you much to go on but I guess it gives you what you need. It shows aliens invading. :p

Good to know. What did you think of Skyline? FYI, I haven't seen either movie.

From what I've read, critics smashed both Skyline and Battle: Los Angeles.

Movie goers, knew by the title, they weren't going to a High-Art film with Battle: LA, and most folks I've seen posting about it, said it was exactly what they were expecting ('splosions and good War against the Aliens depiction). . So, many posters I've seen enjoyed Battle: LA and when I've seen it compared to Skyline, Skyline hasn't gotten the same praise.

I, too, have seen neither one, so, just passing on what I've read.

Didn't watch Skyline yet... it was out of theatres before I got a chance to go see it.

& critics trash everything. I waited for Tron to come out for how long. It did & I almost didn't go see it because they said it was horrible. What do they know? I loved the movie, & I love a lot of stuff that gets trashed in print.

I will admit that I thought Skyline looked stupid when it came out but I still plan on watching it some day.

Last edited:
Mr. Allu and I enjoyed the heck out of Battle for LA. I went in thinking, "okay, modern version of Independence Day mixed with District 9 aliens" and that's pretty much what I felt we got.

What I enjoyed about it was that they didn't feel the need to over-explain everything. We stuck in the POV of the military group, seeing what they saw and learned with them along the way. We didn't switch to multiple POVs in a montage arc a'la Star Wars, we simply stuck with the group and that's where we, as viewers, wanted to be. Not a huge amount of backstory, but did there need to be? It started in media res then backtracked a little and BAM! non-stop action.

A really entertaining movie. Very graphic/violent.

At first when I watched the trailer I thought this movie was a sequel or a spin off of District 9... but then I realized that the two had nothing to connect them. Except aliens. :p

It really was a good movie.

I was just glad to see a genre production where Michelle Rodriguez didn't get wiped out. I agree that in terms of cinematography and "feel", it shared a lot with District 9.

Speaking of which... isn't there supposed to be a sequel to the latter at some point?

I was just glad to see a genre production where Michelle Rodriguez didn't get wiped out. I agree that in terms of cinematography and "feel", it shared a lot with District 9.

Speaking of which... isn't there supposed to be a sequel to the latter at some point?

It was planned, but not firmly it sounds like. I read this at Wikipedia:

On August 1, 2009, two weeks before District 9 was released to cinemas, Neill Blomkamp hinted that he intended to make a sequel if the film was successful enough. During an interview on the "Rude Awakening" 94.7 Highveld Stereo breakfast radio show, he alluded to it, saying "There probably will be." Nevertheless, he revealed that his next project is unrelated to the District 9 universe.[62] In an interview with Rotten Tomatoes, Blomkamp stated that he was "totally" hoping for a follow-up: "I haven't thought of a story yet but if people want to see another one, I'd love to do it."[63] Blomkamp has posed the possibility of the next movie in the series being a prequel[64] In an interview with Empire magazine posted on April 28, 2010, Sharlto Copley suggested that a follow-up, while very likely, would be about two years away, given his and Neill Blomkamp's current commitments.

District 9 info

I saw Skyline at home and Battle: LA in theaters. Skyline was "ok". Decent premise, not as bad as everyone said, but just "ok."

Battle: LA I really liked. I forget where I read it, but it describes the movie perfectly: "Battle LA isn't an alien invasion movie, it's a war movie that has aliens in it"

Pretty solid all around.

I just finished watching "Skyline" (Netflix DVD) and it appears that the screenwriters didn't have a solution, a way for the humans to win. "Skyline" didn't have an ending, but rather just stopped. It wasn't like the second Star Wars movie ("Episode 5") which ends with Han Solo encased in whatever that stuff was called, and where you knew there would be a third movie ("Episode 6"). "Skyline" was like a 3 hr. movie that got exactly chopped in half with no assurance that you'd ever see the second half.

I was gonna get Skyline through Redbox the other day but ya'll aren't filling me with any real desire to watch it. :p

I guess it would only be a waste of a dollar... I'll try & watch it this weekend. Nothin' else to do since PSN is still down.

& Battle LA needs to hurry up & come out on DVD.

Well... Skyline was ok. It was a little better than ok but I don't want to go too far and call it a good movie. I can see what you're talking about with the ending... it's probably some stupid persons brilliant (yet still stupid) idea to get a sequel.

The special effects were ok, but not as good as Battle LA.

Even if this movie had sucked the pregnant chick would have still held my interest, she's hawt... seen her in NCIS, & a show called Brotherhood.

So, I picked up Skyline cheap at a Yard Sale last weekend for cheap, and I enjoyed it.

Nicely paced as a horror flick with a SciFi bent to it. I wouldn't mind at all seeing a sequel to it.

Well... Skyline was ok. It was a little better than ok but I don't want to go too far and call it a good movie. I can see what you're talking about with the ending... it's probably some stupid persons brilliant (yet still stupid) idea to get a sequel.

The special effects were ok, but not as good as Battle LA.

Even if this movie had sucked the pregnant chick would have still held my interest, she's hawt... seen her in NCIS, & a show called Brotherhood.

I finally saw "Battle: Los Angeles" and liked it a helluva lot more than "Skyline." I wouldn't pay over $1 for "Skyline." For "Battle: Los Angeles" I'd go as high as $7.50.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back