• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Two Big Crusade Questions

Dayton3

Regular
I've read all the links people have given me to the unanswered questions regarding Crusade. To the links about the unfilmed episodes and stuff.

Two big questions that I would like to have answered:

1) What was the Apocalypse Box? What was its goals? Why did it lie occasionally?

2) What was the cure to the Drakh Plague that was going to turn out to be "not what anyone expected" and that "only the Excalibur crew would know the truth about"?

The only thing I could think of was that the Shadow created plague involved a cure (perhaps another nano virus) that had the effect of slowly transforming humans into some kind of servants of the Shadows as well.

Or something along those lines.

These two questions have been somewhat of an obsession with me.

I'm afraid that there's only one person who knows the answers to those questions and so far he's not talking. Perhaps when (if) he does the Crusade script books he'll answer them.

Jan

Two big questions that I would like to have answered:

1) What was the Apocalypse Box? What was its goals? Why did it lie occasionally?
It is the snuff box of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. It wants to be refilled with snuff, because it is out. It lies when it feels like it.

2) What was the cure to the Drakh Plague that was going to turn out to be "not what anyone expected" and that "only the Excalibur crew would know the truth about"?
The cure to the plague is massive doses of estrogen, turning all humans into females. The Excalibur crew knew that the Drakh are all gay males, They wanted to create a lesbian planet.

Unless JMS ever says different, those are as good guesses as any... :D

Unless JMS ever says different, those are as good guesses as any... :D

The problem is that even if JMS does come out and say what he intended to happen, it doesn't make it what actually happened. I have a big enough problem when artists intentions override the interpretation of what is seen on screen, but I'm not about to accept what an artists says in out of universe script book about something that was never actually filmed or written as the holy world or something. He wants to show me what happened then show it to me on the screen or write it in a book or comic, otherwise it's nothing but pretty words from Joe that don't really mean a thing.

The problem is that even if JMS does come out and say what he intended to happen, it doesn't make it what actually happened.

You may have noticed that it didn't happen at all (no episodes explaining it were made) and it's never going to happen (and no episodes are going to be made explaining it). So there's no "actually happened" to it. If somebody wants any answer at all it's going to have to be whatever JMS, the creator of the show, the story and the characters, says the answer is because that's all there ever will be.

You might have a point if the episodes actually existed as the B5 episodes do and could point to them as opposed to the original B5 outline. Trouble is, you don't and we don't even have any idea whether an outline like that exists.

Jan

Which is why it should remain a giant mystery unless something in universe is ever published. I don't need or want JMS to tell me what his intentions were for material that has never been published, that is nothing but a giant waste of time.

Which is why it should remain a giant mystery unless something in universe is ever published.
That's an interesting viewpoint. I can see some attraction to that but I think many would disagree.

I don't need or want JMS to tell me what his intentions were for material that has never been published, that is nothing but a giant waste of time.

Oh, I dunno. I found reading the original outline for the B5 story fascinating. So many things were mostly the same that I was lulled into thinking that it wouldn't be that different and then the outline took a major turn. While I love the show that we got, I almost wish we could see that one, too.

I really do hope that a similar document might exist for Crusade and that we might get to see it.

Jan

That's an interesting viewpoint. I can see some attraction to that but I think many would disagree.

That's fine, but I'm strictly a story person. I really don't care what the writers or the creator intended for their work, only what I and others interpreted in watching it.

Oh, I dunno. I found reading the original outline for the B5 story fascinating. So many things were mostly the same that I was lulled into thinking that it wouldn't be that different and then the outline took a major turn. While I love the show that we got, I almost wish we could see that one, too.

I really do hope that a similar document might exist for Crusade and that we might get to see it.

Jan

I would agree with that sentiment if Crusade had played out for 5 years. But since the story never did play out then I don't see the need for that outline at all as it
s basically attempting to tell the story without actually telling the story.

Jan

Don't rub it in!

I've got possibly a two week wait before I can read it :mad:

Same here. I'm really looking forward to this outline, to see if I my analyses & guesswork concerning a possible original arc were correct. I am currently re-watching the series another time, just passing "Severed Dreams", and I wonder if Sinclair would have donned the mantle of Entil'zha after these events in the original arc.

The apocalypse box could well have first one within it, it gives rather enigmatic answers almost like a Vorlon, Maybe it is a Vorlon. The person who owned it before the captain of the Excalibur came to a very bad end. One wonders if the series had been allowed a full run whether that might been his fate as well, to die like everyone else who came into possession of the box. :D

The apocalypse box could well have first one within it, it gives rather enigmatic answers almost like a Vorlon, Maybe it is a Vorlon. The person who owned it before the captain of the Excalibur came to a very bad end. One wonders if the series had been allowed a full run whether that might been his fate as well, to die like everyone else who came into possession of the box. :D

Being in possession of it is alright ... seems to be getting rid that causes the problem!

:p

The apocalypse box could well have first one within it, it gives rather enigmatic answers almost like a Vorlon, Maybe it is a Vorlon.

I have an idea.What if The Apocalypse Box is one of those Vorlons who were enslaved and modified by the Third Space aliens millions of years ago.

I hope that wasn't the intention. It would seem like JMS just ran out of ideas, to me.

It may well have been the intention, but the box also seemed different from the Vorlons, somehow. More like a Shadow, actually, the way it used people up and then made sure it was passed onto another receptive "owner".

I don't think I've seen it mentioned here but JMS did post at some point that the voice coming from the box was or would be Gideon's. That opens a lot of possibilities.

Jan

He did definitely state in the commentary for the series that the voice was Gideon's and that it would have become more recognizable as the series progressed.

He is some another thing to consider, what is the box's agenda? and does it have one? What does it get from its perceived symbiotic relationship with it possessors . Having the box does not make one its master as we have seen. It seems that when the box is through with you, it gets rid of you and latches on to someone else. I would love to know why the previous owner has to die. Does the box derive some kind sustenance or perhaps pleasure from causing the demise of its former owner or maybe it repays perceived ingratitude with death. :confused:

He is some another thing to consider, what is the box's agenda? and does it have one? What does it get from its perceived symbiotic relationship with it possessors . Having the box does not make one its master as we have seen. It seems that when the box is through with you, it gets rid of you and latches on to someone else. I would love to know why the previous owner has to die. Does the box derive some kind sustenance or perhaps pleasure from causing the demise of its former owner or maybe it repays perceived ingratitude with death. :confused:

Perhaps the former owner inhabits the box, and thus his body dies. Perhaps the box is absorbing its present owner, bit by bit, until the spirit of the present owner is subsumed in the box, and his body dies. Then, a new owner comes to repeat the cycle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back