• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Serenity - SPOILERS! Consider yourself warned!

I'm still avoiding reading this thread :) Won't see the movie until Thursday, but I hear it got a brilliant review on Film 2005 last night!

In the meantime, I assume most of you have seen these?

The R Tam sessions

I finally saw this movie, with a couple girlfriends who never saw the series, I loved it and they loved it as well. I'm going to try not to repeat everything that everyone said, but wanted to make a few observations that I made. The movie was a roller coaster ride, and did as good a job as any to giving answers to lots of questions in the series. It had an oddly "serene" ending to me, and I think that is partly due to some DIRECT symmetry tied to the "Operative" as well as Mal and River's closing scene.

Book talks at great length about how Operatives think, work, etc. -- and then when Mal says "Someday you'll have to tell me how you know so much about this," Book just says, "No, I don't" in a way that to me very much implied that he had told Mal about his past, just moments before. Book was an Operative: I'm almost certain of it.

That was pretty much my assessment. In the series they set him up over and over with his access card on the Alliance ship, him knowing so much about crime and weapons, and even with that Bounty Hunter in the last episode saying "thats no Shepard." Joss was definitely leading to this.

Book was definitely an Operative, the remaining mystery (probably unsolved) is why he "retired"
I'm not sure we need to know the exact reason. I think he lived the SAME life that the operative in this movie did, and at some point someone opened his eyes, just like Mal opened The Operative's eyes at the end.

I also had the feeling that this operative is going to lead a very similar life to Shepard Book's, which I thought was very elegant closure to Book's character and bringing things full circle. I could almost picture Shepard Book saying that exact same thing to someone like Mal, then walking off and eventually finding his own Serenity ship to go aboard.

Now that I've had some time to sleep on it and think about it today, I've pretty much come to the decision that Wash's death soured the last 15 minutes of the (otherwise fantastic) film a bit too much.

I suppose to a degree I feel the same way. Of all the characters his was the most surprising, and the way it was done was very quick and sudden.
The true shock value for me was in how it happened. Serenity came in so hard and lost both its engines you were already practically mouring the ship. Then seconds later, during a brief sigh of releif that harpoon goes right into him. I won't say it soured the end for me but definitely made it very someber. HOWEVER:

I think pretty nearly everyone in the theater jumped when Wash gets killed. After that, pretty nearly every time a character got injured, I started worrying they were going to be the next to die.

This was my EXACT reaction. I literally thought at least one more was going to die, and it was a matter of who. Kaylee when she got shot with the darts? Simon when he was lying on the ground after being shot so suddenly? There were moments in that entire sequence where everyone almost bought it, even Inara....and I think that was the point partially. I think by doing that he really put everyone on the edge of their seats, which is a GREAT effect. (unfortunately, it doesn't have the same effect for rewatch value ;) ).

I also believe it was done for a similar reason as to why JMS wrote off Marcus. JMS even mentioned in his posts during the making of B5, that if a character dies and you don't care then he wasn't an important character. But when someone you care about dies, its an emotional event. And that was certainly what Wash's death was.

Lastly I've read in places that this plotline was sort of what Joss had in mind for Season 2. I believe by that he meant revealing the story of the Reavers and finding more truths to River's condition (and perhaps a big step to her recovery). Would characters such as Book or Wash died in the series? Perhaps at some point, but not so early on. I think he wrote this movie as a finale, and in so doing needed to say goodbye to a couple characters. Book's past would have been revealed at some point almost certainly, but not as it was. Wash....who knows. Either way, this story was told in a movie theater, and it can't have the same friendly feel of a TV show. I think it was done very big and grand.

I know there is rumors of sequals, but I'm not convinced on how serious Joss is upon doing them. I really do believe he told as much as he could about the Firefly universe and brought as much closure as he could. There are some things left unsaid and unresoved, but life itself doesn't have an ending, it continues on...

Recoil, I agree with your assessment of Book and the Operative we see, but I really got the impression that the Operative was going to do to himself what he's been making people do all movie: fall on his sword ("He killed me. With a sword. How weird is that?").

Joss and sequels... hmm. He definitely gave us closure just in case this was the last thing we could see -- and unless the box office numbers go up it almost certainly will be. However, Joss is pretty good at taking a story that's mostly concluded, turning it around, and making something unexpected and amazing out of it -- and still have it be foreshadowed from Day One. My current crazy notion: if the story continues, we will eventually see Jayne become a Shepherd.

The man is a master. Give him more film and he'll have more stories to tell.

OK, I got to see Serenity last night with a couple of friends. I had seen all of the episodes on the DVD's a couple times. My ex-housemate is a pretty big SF/fantasy who had not gotten around to seeing any of Firefly; and his fiance is not really an SF fan on her own, but is willing to give individual things a chance when they come recommended.

All of us enjoyed it a great deal. Watching all of the series on DVD is now on their to-do list (although not for another month or so; they're getting married in a couple weeks, so they are kinda busy between now and then, and then they go on the honeymoon; but when they get back ..... ;) )

Would characters such as Book or Wash died in the series? Perhaps at some point, but not so early on. I think he wrote this movie as a finale, and in so doing needed to say goodbye to a couple characters.
There is another practical matter (from a writing POV). In a series you can have a large-ish central group of characters and still get them all enough screen time / dialog / character development over the course of 22 hour seasons. In a two hour movie it is really hard to really present 9 main characters (before you even start thinking about the antagonist or antagonists) with enough screen time. When I have seen complaints from some critics (scanning through the lists on Rotten Tomatoes), the main recurring thing is about how hard it is for newbies to keep track of who everybody is and how they all fit together. Removing a couple characters allows for more character development for Kaylee and Zoe and Inara etc. in any future sequel.

I agree that Wash's death did increase the sense of danger to the other characters as they were taking their wounds. However, it never occurred to me that River might get killed in the room with all of the Reavers. I just wasn't initially sure whether we were going to get to see much of the fight, or whether we were going to get the POV of the rest of the crew (seeing the fight start as the blast doors closed, then going directly to having them open and seeing River as the only one left standing).

Sorry, JJ, but I'm going to have go with the group that believes River was not on Miranda. I think that part of the reason she had so much trouble making sense of the traumatic memories was precisely because all she had were snippets that had accidentally pick up from the "key Parliament members". She didn't have a complete context around it. That's a big part of the reason that just seeing that report vid helped calm her so much. It was the first time that she had any context or continuity to put around the horrific images of bodies. Those were images which the Parliamentarians had only seen in reports, like that vid, but which had disturbed and stuck with *them* .... much like photos from WWII concentration camps stick with people now. That's probably why River picked those up; rawer, closer to the surface memories ..... while the more calm and rational memories that put a context and explanation around those images would be more deeply buried and more aesily "forgotten" by the Parliamentarians themselves.

If River was on Miranda, then Simon would have been aware of the existence of Miranda. IMHO. They had to be fairly close in age and together for a very long time in order to to be as close as they seemed to be.

The "memory," if you will, of River in class with the teacher and all can't be River on Miranda -- if anyone is trying to say that River was on Miranda when she was being experimented on by the Alliance while at the Academy she went to -- since in the first episode of the show Simon says that River went to the Academy when she was 14 years old. She's a might bit younger than 14 in the class "memories".

I though the whole Miranda thing was River using her telepathy to read the instructor's mind? They weren't her memories, remember? She kept saying "they're not my memories."

I thought it was said earlier on that they were "implanting" false memories into her to "condition" her. The Miranda memory might have been one of those.

I doubt that they would use something that was that big of a secret as a memory to implant. Much more likely that she read it from the mind of one or more of the "key members of Parliament" that had come to see her.

I just watched it a 2nd time tonight (some... 5 or 6 weeks after the first time)...Joss Whedon's a very clever man.

Because Wash's death wasn't a surprise this time around, there were some very poignant moments...like on Miranda, when Jane's freaking out, the camera is spinning around, then it stops with Wash in the center of the screen, looking very much alone as the voice of reason.

Also, different things were more moving, 2nd time around. For instance, although I knew River would survive, I was more profoundly affected by her speech to Simon before jumping through the bulkhead. Wierd. But I guess that's good writing for you - I wasn't in shock this time around!

On the memory thing - I was right, it's a memory she picked up from a parliamentarian (that's why the doctor dies at the start). It's "buried under layers of psychosis" and intruding onto River's own memories.

On the harpoon thing - Serenity actually does a 180 as she's crash landing, and she ends up with the bridge facing back out the way she came - where the Reavers are coming from. So the harpoon thing fits perfectly.

All in all, definitely worth seeing twice, you pick up on even more. Hell, I'm going a third time tomorrow night!

VB

Also the actress that played the woman in the recording who told them about the Miranda tragedy is in lots of stuff.

Sarah Paulson - American Gothic and Deadwood amonst other things.

Just to clarify- River was actually on Miranda and was hit by the chemical thing that killed everyone, right? And yet she survived...

No, but I'm sure someone has aready commented on this :)

I just got back from the cinema, and I have to say this is one of the best, most entertaining movies I've seen in a long time. Beats the pants off the last 3 Star Wars movies!

Heck, since there are no Ewoks, I'd say it beat the pants off the last four. But that's just my preference.

Yes, thank you, Deadwood!

Her best line on that show: "Why don't you take me upstairs and fuck me?"

But in American Gothic she played a ghost. She seems to like playing dead people :)

Yeha! Saw it last night. Stuck beside some smelly fat dude who kept talking to himself through the movie. It reminds me of Farscape PK Wars a bit, PK Wars was Series 5 Farscape crammed into a 3 hour movie thing and Serenity was Series 2 packed into 2 hours.

It were really good, and I like how it can standalone without needing to see the series, and yet fits on perfectly to the end of Objects in Space.

Gutted bout Book, pretty insane about Wash's death - glad I didnt get these spoilt. For a moment there when Wash died - and then the dialogue after - I thought this was gonna end Resovoir Dogs like. Thankfully not. Roll on a sequel, series or anything.

And a nice thing to see is on Amazon.co.uk and .com is the Firefly boxset hitting the best seller lists.

I saw it today. I had all ready read the screenplay because I have the Serenity movie book. I was shocked about the deaths when I read the screenplay. I certainly wasn't expecting Whedon to kill off major characters! The movie was still great, though. I agree with a previous poster--it was much better than the recent Star Wars films. Since the success of Serenity proves that DVD sales matter, I only hope that Warner Bros. is paying attention. This proves that a B5 film could be a hit.

Tammy

I certainly wasn't expecting Whedon to kill off major characters!

Whedon's definitely not afraid to kill major characters. Some of the deaths throughout Buffy and Angel really surprised me when I first watched both shows.

Considering Whedon was willing to axe his title character not once but twice on Buffy, I was pretty sure somebody was doomed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back