• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What the negative folks don't get (spoilers)

Re: What the negative folks don\'t get (spoilers)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
It was not a movie - it was a PILOT
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I think the proper term is a TELEMOVIE... which is essentially a stand-alone movie with hopes that it will become a series.

But have it your way. Believe it or not, I once made a low-budget film ... I suppose that I can call it a PILOT as well....

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
@ GKarsEye.

You should never argue with idiots (or trolls), they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

------------------
"We live for the one, we die for the one."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>You should never argue with idiots (or trolls), they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I dunno, I tries to keep up with the book learnin n' all but it's a might hard to do over 'ere in tha backwoods of Kokomo, In. Since tha big chemical spill in '89 most anybody who drinks tha water down 'ere becomes stupified.

-----------------------
Can you imagine being this guy's girlfriend?
"Oh, it was alright, I suppose, but I was expecting something really amazing."
-------------------------

And that would be wrong because....?

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

[This message has been edited by PsionTen (edited January 25, 2002).]

A realist who watches Science fiction? I think we are begining to see the problem here alright...

Hypatia and Kribu:

I think Kribu may be more correct. Perhaps he just isnt good with English yet, or more accurately, just has trouble expressing himself. He us a HUGE guy, damn near a tank, so Im pretty sure he met the physical requirements. I remember from B5 (marcus) saying that you had to learn the Minbari language in order to be a Ranger, so we can hopefully assume he knows Minbari and English. Perhaps he isnt good at expressing himself. Only time will tell
wink.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> A realist who watches Science fiction? I think we are begining to see the problem here alright... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert, Sagan ... that's some pretty good company to keep, I'd say.

------------------

Can't we all just get along?

Seriously, people. We all are entitled to our own opinions, and we all like different things. Just because one person (or a lot of people) likes Rangers doesn't mean everyone -- including people who liked B5 and were looking forward to the new movie -- will like it. Look at the other TV movies. I didn't like Thirdspace. Thought it sucked. Never saw River of Souls. A Call to Arms was decent -- about the same level as Rangers, I think. I liked Rangers better, because of the potential it exhibits, but quality-wise, it wasn't any different from the other movies.

One other note -- it is called a telemovie, but that's because they weren't sure a series was going to happen. It was treated as something between a pilot and a series. Hence the unanswered questions.

Anyway. LondosHair, good point about the naming ceremony. I think it goes well enough on its own -- makes you wonder about their stories and histories. You didn't mention Sarah's in your unanswered questions, though. David even commented on it. I liked her response -- "It's about as revealing as I want to get in this lifetime." -- but want to know what she meant.

Tirk . . . Well, the drazi have never struck me as the most intelligent species. The Drazi ambassador in B5 tended to go along with the Brakiri ambassador (whom I can't stand), except when the Drazis were causing trouble. The drazi ambassador on board the Liandra didn't seem too bright, either. So I don't think that Tirk is acting, I think he really is a little slow. The thing is, we don't know the criterion for acceptance into the Rangers. I doubt you could set down a guideline for it; seems more like they'd do it on an individual basis. "No one is exactly what he appears." Just because we don't see what makes a person acceptable to the Rangers doesn't mean that he isn't. It could be that someone (ie Delenn) made a special case for Tirk because they saw something in him that they thought made him belong in the Rangers. I can see Delenn doing that.

------------------
"There is always hope. Only because it's the only thing no one has figured out how to kill yet."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recoil:
A realist who watches Science fiction? I think we are begining to see the problem here alright...

Hypatia and Kribu:

I think Kribu may be more correct. Perhaps he just isnt good with English yet, or more accurately, just has trouble expressing himself. He us a HUGE guy, damn near a tank, so Im pretty sure he met the physical requirements. I remember from B5 (marcus) saying that you had to learn the Minbari language in order to be a Ranger, so we can hopefully assume he knows Minbari and English. Perhaps he isnt good at expressing himself. Only time will tell
wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, wasn't it in that B5 episode that the Pak Marah (sorry I still odn't know how to spell it, and I can't get to Lurkers right now) refused to learn another language?

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
Again, wasn't it in that B5 episode that the Pak Marah (sorry I still odn't know how to spell it, and I can't get to Lurkers right now) refused to learn another language?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember there being something with them in an Episode, and they werent sure what to do with them, but I dont remember what it was. So put me down for 'I have no idea' on that one.

Psi-gryphon:

I agree that anyone is entitled to an opinion. I have no problems with that. I had positive and negative opinions about the movie. I also have no problems with people posting their negative opinions about the movie. But what is a little tiring is people who have negative opinions basically saying that those of us who liked the movie only did because we are 'B5 fanatics or JMS clut worshippers.' Kinda silly if you ask me.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Was Zathras dumb? Nope, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There you get into the whole "he must be dumb because he talks funny" thing.

Anyone who assumed Zathras was dumb missed his Introduction: He was the Senior Caretaker for the Great Machine. Not a job you'd give to the average dummy off the street.
He was also sent along to help Install the Time shifting machinery on Babylon 4.
Again, Not a job for a dummy.

In fact, both of the jobs we Know Zathras performed are jobs we'd reserve for someone with PhDs in Math, Physics and Engineering.

Conclusion: Zathras was one Smart cookie.
Language not Zathras' talent.
Zathras too busy thinking great thoughts.

Tirk could very well have his own hidden taents.
Or, he could be just what he seems.
A big guy able to carry many heavy things.

Remember what he said his Name means.
Sounded a Lot like a disfunctional family.
Tirk may have left home to get a bit of piece and quiet.

Or, like Vir, he may have been sent away because no one Wanted him.

The Directive Delenn gave the Rangers was to Use and Value Each recruit for what he Can Do, not what a perfect Minbari recruit Might be able to do.

I had personal experience with this once, while I was in the Navy.
The junior guy in our division was rather dumb.
In fact, he'd been accepted in the Navy under an experimental program that waived low test scores to see if On The Job training could substitute for better education.
He knew and accepted that he wasn't the brightest bulb in the pack.
It was kind of ironic that he ended up in a department that generally required the Highest test scores, lots of Math and Electronic school for most of the jobs.
He had one Great Advantage:
He followed instructions. He knew that he didn't Understand what he was doing sometimes, but that was Our problem.
So, we made sure that we always showed or told him Exactly what we needed him to do.
And he did it. He was Totally Reliable on that score.
He also never Complained. He liked his job.
Best worker in the division.

Contrast him with the other guy we had at his level, the one who WAS Smart and had the high test scores.
That clown couldn't be trusted to wipe his nose correctly.
He was the sort who, when he found some white capsules in a box in the armory one day, assumed they were Drugs and swallowed a couple.
He really should have read the label.
They were Tear Gas capsules.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

hahahahaha

Tear Gas capsules. Well, common sense is an oxymoron. Common sense isnt common at all...

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
I'm sorry, but I don't enjoy movies for what they might be if someone decides to make it into a series. I enjoy them for what they are and this one was only average.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The other day I read "The Two Tower" from Tolkien, and the story is bad and make no sense at all. Oh wait ? Do I *REALLY* need to read "Fellowship of the Ring" before and THEN "Return of the King" ??? What a *STUPID* and *BAD* idea ! If the book doesn't stand on itself, then it's SCRAP !

And someone would say "but the three LOTR book was at the origine just ONE book".

Yeah, and Babylon 5 is a hell of a huge continuous story. Legend of the Ranger was a chapter. You don't like that specific little chapter ? Your call. On my side I never stop reading a book as soon as a get a "too average" chapter.

- Garibaldi's Hairs

------------------
---------------------------------
When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean "Oh, I think it is a little chilly in here. Perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed." No! I said it was cold! As in, "Oh look - my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!"
- Londo

my brain hurts.

------------------
"You are child of the universe, no less than the tree and stars, you have a right to be here, and whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." --Les Crane--

PsionTen, my problem with you has nothing to do with the fact that you hated Rangers. I have a problem with you because you are so insulting to everyone here. That, in my definition, is a troll.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

relax relax peeps.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah I do not remember the pak marah refusing to learn anotehr language...I thought the pak marah has some sort of translation device's they used anyway..

I beleive the ep Leanring curve is the one where Delenn sudjests they use the pask marah for covert ops..spies...

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>They pick which pilots become shows based on ratings and potentional (mostly ratings).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most pilots are approved based on what the network and studio excutives think of them. Sometimes they're shown to test audiences and "focus groups" They are almost never aired, therefore don't get ratings. So ratings aren't an issue for about 90% of the series that get on the air. A TV movie is more likely a "back door" pilot, a stand-alone project designed so that it can become a series. Which is pretty much what Rangers was. A one-off adventure in which the main character had a problem and a personal arc that were resolved in the film, but which left the door wide-open for future development.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> But what is a little tiring is people who have negative opinions basically saying that those of us who liked the movie only did because we are 'B5 fanatics or JMS clut worshippers.' Kinda silly if you ask me.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost as silly as jumping on to anyone who had problems with the movie. They are either Trolls, JMS haters, or DS9 fans. Kinda silly if you ask me.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
Almost as silly as jumping on to anyone who had problems with the movie. They are either Trolls, JMS haters, or DS9 fans. Kinda silly if you ask me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please allow me to correct you yet again. I am not jumping on anyone who has problems with the movie. Lots of people post here who dont like it, and I dont jump on them. Some even have some constructive points which I find interesting. I am not jumping on everyone, I am jumping specifically on YOU.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Please allow me to correct you yet again. I am not jumping on anyone who has problems with the movie. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And who said I was talking about you? I didn't assume that you were referring to me earlier.

As far as you "jumping on me" ... I'm not that kind of man, mister!

------------------

[This message has been edited by PsionTen (edited January 25, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Psi-gryphon:
Tirk . . . Well, the drazi have never struck me as the most intelligent species. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know ... I always thought of the Drazi as simplistic rather than unintelligent or dumb.
tongue.gif
You know they are alien and just think differently than us. I get the impression that everything is either black or white (or is it green or purple?) to them and they don't understand the shades of grey (or gruple?).

I know I have said this before, but my impression is that Tirk will be similiar to Zathras only he will probably have a bigger role. Was Zathras dumb? Nope, he figured out the whole "The One" thing and explained it to "The Three".
wink.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

No, i don't think i do scout. Of course there's some interesting ground work for a series, but this was a movie. The movie wasn't great. The ratings weren't great... ipso facto, no series.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There, now you have an excuse to celebrate. Go grab Misfit and party!
shocked.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Back