• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Ruined even further

Sinclair

I honestly can't believe George Lucas has ruined the original Star Wars trilogy even more.

*******Spoilers********
Lucas has replaced the ghost image of Anakin Skywalker (played by Sebastian Shaw) at the end of Return of the Jedi with Hayden Christiansen for the DVD release. I'm scared of what he's done to the other two films. :rolleyes:

Full story.

I think the change you mention is probably the most repugnant. The actor is dead, and now he's being removed from the film 1984-style.

But that just makes NO SENSE. I mean think about it. Luke takes off Vader's helmet at the end of JEDI and you SEE the guy in there. So how fucked up is that going to look when 5 minutes later you see a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PERSON?

GL is really being stupid with this stuff. Just...stupid.

I agree with everyone else. I am NOT buying this set. I will find a DVD RIP from a Laserdisc on the Internet and burn my own when my DVD burner arrives. My own with the ORIGINAL version not one of these butchered ones...

Here's a link to a few pics of the new Anakin ghost and alterations to other scenes. There's also a list of the changes made to each film for the DVD's, including Episode I.

The only change I really like is having Ian McDiarmid in Empire. I haven't been able to find any pictures of it though.

Yeah, making Empire consistent with McDiarmid is fine.

I'm still hoping Lucas will bow to fan pressure and release the originals on DVD. If not, we still have the VHS... but I'm also hoping that some enterprising folks willing to bend the law for a good cause will pull another "Phantom Edit" and splice together a decent version of the original trilogies.

What I mean by a decent version is this: clean up the glitches as the Special Editions did, but leaving out most of the new scenes. That way we get the Classic Trilogy looking great without all the ridiculous extra bits.

Han shoots first, dang it!

I, too, had no problem with replacing Ian in ESB...my source had told me about that some time ago. And he had also told me to expect many other changes...well, I guess this is just the sign we needed that GL has F*@KING LOST IT! Which lowers my expectations of EPIII even more. :rolleyes:

Instead of using his imagination to explain Leia's line, now we're just gonna change it. I could rant for days about this! But I won't and will spare you all my indignation.

CE

I keep wanting to defend Lucas, but then he goes and does something even more atrocious. And I, too, am glad I've got the original trilogy on VHS.

However, we can at least give Lucas credit for creating three different story arcs. There's the ORIGINAL Original Trilogy, the new trilogy, and the Bizzaro Original Trilogy. Maybe the NEXT trilogy can be totally animated with computers, thereby giving ol' George a universe that can be shaped and molded at a whim. Although, he IS more or less shaping and molding the OT at a whim now, but you know what I mean. And... something. Lost my train of thought.

Instead of using his imagination to explain Leia's line, now we're just gonna change it. I could rant for days about this! But I won't and will spare you all my indignation.

I can't see anything wrong with Leia's line. This is the one where she remembers her mother isn't it? Unless there is something in EpIII that contradicts it, then I assume that Padame went into hiding with Leia on Alderran whilst Ben takes Luke to Tatooine. Leia could easily remember her mother, just.

Pity about that line - Carrie Fisher's voice was definitely at its most sexy for that one.

GL would do well to heed the old adage that

Art is never completed, only abandoned.

Cheers,

GL would do well to heed the old adage that

Art is never completed, only abandoned.
Frankly I think that is his very problem. I think he IS heeding that...all too well. He might have even been quoted as saying that. To him they are never done to the level of expectations he has, so he keeps working on them, and "improving" them, over, and over, and over. That's the guys freakin problem. He doesnt realize he already created a masterpiece back in the 70s and that he doesnt need to keep tweaking it to make it timeless.

He looks at the movies differently than we do. To him, he always rememembers the process, what went wrong and what he missed. Except for the hard-core behind-the-scene Comic Book Guy junkies, we see the finished product, what we've been watching and what captivated us for many years. A totally different viewpoint.

Pardon a jazz analogy, but Lucas could learn a thing or two from Miles Davis (though about this 'cause I've been completing my Miles Davis collection). A lot of his music was divisive and controversial, but it was because for much of his career he was only interested in moving forward. He said in an interview late in his career that he wouldn't play stuff from Kind of Blue (the most successful and popular jazz LP of all time) because those songs were from that moment and now he's on to other things- they were dead to him, he couldn't listen to anything from his past.

Lucas dwells on his previous glories: not just fixing the old movies, but making new ones. And look what happens as a result: the new ones suck, the old ones kinda suck and we can't get the real thing on DVD. And we know he's a talented filmmaker- wouldn't it have been better if he adopted the true artist's attitude of looking forward and worked on new stuff? Or at least dissappear and let us celebrate his glory days instead of Naderising his life.

I'm never one to declare something great as "ruined" (ie, Metallica's crappy music of the past dozen years dozen "ruin" their classic output), but Star Wars is dead to me now. I don't have laserdisc and I don't watch VHS anymore, and I'm not going to make exceptions for any movie 'cause some bearded twit doesn't understand his own films.

I can't see anything wrong with Leia's line. This is the one where she remembers her mother isn't it? Unless there is something in EpIII that contradicts it, then I assume that Padame went into hiding with Leia on Alderran whilst Ben takes Luke to Tatooine. Leia could easily remember her mother, just.

Elenopa...the line, as it is in RotJ will be altered or removed because Lucas didn't want to remain true to what had already been made. Amidala will die before Leia could've seen her in EPIII, thus making the original line make so sense. Therefore, instead of having Amidala die when the OT indicates, he changes the OT to fit what he wants to do now. This is putting the cart before the horse and bass-ackwards filmming at its worst.

What's up with these Georges F*@king things up so badly?! :mad:

Here's another link with more info and pics of some of the changes. It has a pretty comprehensive list of the things that have been changed for sure and some of the rumored changes.

I personally think that the Jabba the Hutt in ANH looks a helluva lot better than the previous one. The Emperor in ESB looks a shitload better than the old one, but still not quite like the Emperor in RotJ. The picture quality and lightsabers look better too.

I am rapidly going off this idea.

Absolutely no reason to put Hayden Christansen into ROTJ. The ghost figure surely would be Anakin as he would have appeared aged 50+ if he hadn't been disfigured. If they're going to change him, then they might as well put Ewan McGregor in as well.

I've been kind of thinking the same thing. I'm actually surprised they didn't insert Ewan since they did with Hayden. If I were Luke I'd be like "Who the fuck is that guy?!"

I think he should digitially remove Alec Guinness completely from the original trilogy and replace him with McGregor.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back