• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Matthew

does anyone know where the quote: "May God always stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk" comes from originally (i.e., not the episode)?

a quick google search suggests it's wiccan, not egyptian.

The actual blessing is made up as far as I know and was a line Harlan Ellison came out with.

There’s a fair chance though that it is an amalgam of existing blessings from any number of religions. Though rumour has it, Harlan is pretty familiar with Egyptian lore.

I have read that some folks now do use it, verbatim, though if you look at the dates they started after the B5 episode.

If it's using a monotheistic slant... you might want to try looking up the Coptic churches liturgy.

Actually that is an actual Egyptian blessing, albeit slightly paraphrased. The actual blessing goes like this: God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

If it's using a monotheistic slant... you might want to try looking up the Coptic churches liturgy.

It only seems that way because we're a monotheistic culture. "God" in polytheism simply means whichever god you happen to be talking about at the time. For instance, if you're talking about Odin, and you say 'God protect you' then it's understood you mean Odin.

It only seems that way because we're a monotheistic culture. "God" in polytheism simply means whichever god you happen to be talking about at the time. For instance, if you're talking about Odin, and you say 'God protect you' then it's understood you mean Odin.

I worship Lena Olin, so I would mean Olin. :eek: :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back