B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old September 28th 21, 21:13   #41
Lyta's Shadow
Ranger

Re: NEW Babylon 5 Series

What does it say about me that one of my first thoughts was 'The B5 Encyclopaedia is now going to be out-of-date"?! The idea of a reboot does unsettle me a bit as the original series has been such a big part of my life. It was an almost perfect story which was neatly concluded (forgetting the Crusade debacle for a moment). What is there to achieve creatively speaking from a reboot? I can't see how it can improve upon what went before in terms of storytelling.

From a production viewpoint, will this have full 22 episode seasons or be more in the modern mould of seasons with 13 episodes or fewer? I guess no-one knows that yet. It seems a risk to plan for another 5-year arc when it seemed the original series only achieved this feat by the skin of its teeth. Will the reboot have the same opportunity to tell such a story if the seasons have less time allotted to them? I'm probably completely wrong but I can't help but think of the 90s Dark Shadows reboot that told a year or more's worth of plotlines from the original series in 12 episodes! I hope JMS is right when he says he plans to use the B5 universe to tell a new story, retelling what went before could be a disaster.

As others have said, my main worry is the CW angle with its tendency to have casts of young and sexy twenty somethings. I hope the new series has the same diversity in casting that the original had and isn't constrained by network preferences.

A lot of suppositions and only time will tell what happens, I think we're all very protective of B5 and are hoping that this reboot is respectful of what we have loved all these years.
Lyta's Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th 21, 22:04   #42
Recoil
First One

Oh my!

I had to find my login info and dust off my account for this. Looks like there's some B5 content on the way at some point.

I was a bit nervous about a reboot at first, and that it's on the CW (although there's upside there too), but since JMS is running it, I feel good about it. B5 is his baby and he wouldn't do anything to tarnish it. I'm down for a fresh story/take on the original concept.

Who else is kicking around here?
Old September 28th 21, 23:36   #43
SwiftBiscuit
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I get tired of people rubbishing the original show, saying it is dated or cheap looking and the effects and acting are bad, etc etc and the reboot will amplify those voices.
For my part, this is why I was excited that were getting another run at the B5 story but with a fresh lick of paint. I know a number of people who refused to watch the show because they couldnt get past the effects.

Hi Recoil! I also went in search of this place when I heard the news. Thank you to the folks who kept it alive.
SwiftBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th 21, 01:24   #44
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypinta View Post
I came in search of a forum for this very reason, in fact.
Welcome!! You can have a seat over here with the rest of us aliens.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th 21, 03:57   #45
hypatia
First One

We do seem to get a B5 rumor from time to time. Id love to have more B5, whatever form it takes. But will it be easy to update?
Old September 29th 21, 04:04   #46
Karajorma
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyta's Shadow View Post
It was an almost perfect story which was neatly concluded (forgetting the Crusade debacle for a moment). What is there to achieve creatively speaking from a reboot?

JMS never got the chance to tell the stories he had planned for Crusade or Legend of the Rangers. And he's definitely sneaky enough to claim he's rebooting B5 and then just use those plotlines instead.

That's probably not what he'll do, but if the show is different from B5 and not just a remake, I'll be happy.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th 21, 06:13   #47
vacantlook

I saw one comment on Twitter yesterday that likened the concept of this reboot to a remix in music: In many ways you can still recognize the song even though there are some changes in both the music and instrumentation.

jms seemed to approve of this recent description: "Not the same stories and characters and scenes, but the same questions and themes and *humanity* that the original series had."
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th 21, 07:33   #48
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
We do seem to get a B5 rumor from time to time. Id love to have more B5, whatever form it takes. But will it be easy to update?
I just wish they'd reboot the Crusade story, without TNT interference. B5 is just fine as it is.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th 21, 07:53   #49
Kyehlar
First One

I'm excited to see just where JMS is going to go with this from the beginning. Originally in the pilot, In The Beginning, we had Lt. Commander Laurel Takashima as the station's XO. At least one of her character traits was implanted into the Ivanova character, specifically the fact that she uses the Hydroponic Garden to grow coffee beans. I would love to see how Laurel Takashima would have evolved had Tamlyn Tomita stayed on for the series. We may get that chance if JMS chooses to go that route.
What kind of head of security would I be if I let people like me know things that I am not supposed to know. I know what I know, because I have to know it and if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me and don't let anyone else tell me either.
- Michael Garibaldi
Kyehlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th 21, 09:03   #50
Ubik
Commander

Totally off topic, but UK represent ... I just realised there are a LOT of fans from the UK here.

P.S. I have no idea what that emoji is but it looks like a thumbs up?
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote