B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old December 26th 20, 15:19   #1
JohnGaunt3.0
Lurker

Rewatch #3 Big theme ideas and questions

Vir and Lenier are portrayed as almost complete mirror opposites, G'Kar's attache gets dropped out due to casting issues (as i've recently learned) although T'Lon functions as a sort of stand-in. My question is What was the story arc for her intended to be? A willing convert to G'Kar's new philosophy, a rebel against it, obedient but reluctant assistant? Did the mirroring only take place because there wasn't a 3rd character to balance between V/L?

I didn't watch the show from start to finish until i fished a B5/Crusade set out of the bargain bin at a Big Box in '09 (i think) and didn't rewatch until after seeing some 20th anniversary vids on utube, so I've missed all the fandom discussions.
JohnGaunt3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th 20, 20:26   #2
Looney
Telepath

Re: Rewatch #3 Big theme ideas and questions

I honestly can't recall at the moment. I'm sure someone has a better memory than I. Hopefully they will stop by soon and reply. The Holidays have me in a blur at the moment.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th 21, 14:45   #3
JohnGaunt3.0
Lurker

Be a good little Mimbari??

The inquisitor tells Delenn to be be a good little mimbari and obey and conform, but that's not what mimbari do. The windswords disobey the council to attack Kosh and shield Deathwalker, Delenn disobeys the council for the chrysalis and sorta by reading the Eye on Mimbar section of the paper to find out what she's not being told. The Tragati disobeys the order to surrender and has to be getting support from someone to stay functioning after 10+ years in space. Lenier tells lies of omission and commission when convenient, and actively and inactively disobeys orders. Neroon sets up his caste leader for failure and embarrassment. The list goes on and on. The Vorlon think or imagine them an obedient and orderly "client" race (Yes, I see the show with a Cold War-raised mentality) and reflective of Vorlon ideals, but that's not who they really are, is it?

Just wondering if anyone else had noticed the dichotomy.
Old June 28th 21, 05:49   #4
Springer
Telepath

Re: Be a good little Mimbari??

In their own ways, both the Vorlons and the Shadows misjudged the younger races' ability to rebel. The Vorlons expected obedience, but instead everyone rose up together and rebelled against them. The Shadows expected everyone to start fighting one another, but instead everyone rose up together and rebelled against them.

The irony is, everyone was doing a pretty good job at fighting each other before the Shadows came along - the Centauri occupation of Narn, the Dilgar War, the Earth-Minbari War – and the different races only unified with one another, ultimately forming an Interstellar Alliance that seemingly lasted millennia, in response to the Shadows. If the Shadows had wanted everyone to fight, they should have just stayed on Z'Ha'Dum and let everyone get on with it!
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th 21, 06:01   #5
hypatia
First One

That's a good point. It may have simply been inconceivable that such alliances were even possible. And the younger races couldn't have succeeded without an ace up their sleeve, working with The First One.
Old June 29th 21, 14:08   #6
JohnGaunt3.0
Lurker

Enough power to destroy but not control, haven't heard of that problem before! LOL

I wonder about Pres Clark now, was he rebelling against the Shadows by turning the EA insular or was it some deep plot to have a reserve force to kick over the remaining anthills once the dust settled? Earth become a moot point when the Vorlons entered into direct combat, but it would explain the Shadow tech destroyers.
Old June 29th 21, 15:16   #7
JohnGaunt3.0
Lurker

Re: Be a good little Mimbari??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
The irony is, everyone was doing a pretty good job at fighting each other before the Shadows came along - the Centauri occupation of Narn, the Dilgar War, the Earth-Minbari War and the different races only unified with one another, ultimately forming an Interstellar Alliance that seemingly lasted millennia, in response to the Shadows. If the Shadows had wanted everyone to fight, they should have just stayed on Z'Ha'Dum and let everyone get on with it!
If the Vorlons hadn't eliminated Deathwalker, the Shadows almost certainly would have gotten their dream war started - For Free - courtesy of a Vorlon ally. I love this show, so many levels to watch it at and entertaining on all of them.
Old June 29th 21, 15:33   #8
Springer
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGaunt3.0 View Post
Enough power to destroy but not control, haven't heard of that problem before! LOL

I wonder about Pres Clark now, was he rebelling against the Shadows by turning the EA insular or was it some deep plot to have a reserve force to kick over the remaining anthills once the dust settled? Earth become a moot point when the Vorlons entered into direct combat, but it would explain the Shadow tech destroyers.
Maybe by becoming insular, that would foster a general fear of others, and perhaps Earth would then lash out, making preemptive strikes against those they fear?

Humans were new on the scene too, having not been around for the previous war a thousand years ago, so maybe the Shadows were planting seeds now and anticipating that they'll be useful in the next war in another thousand years.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote