• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 on Drew Carey Question

Ivanova

Beyond the rim
I know that this was mentioned in another board about a B5 reference on Drew Carey, and that was correct because I saw the ep tonight! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I remember hearing about the ep, but I never actually saw the beginning, and that's where the B5 stuff is. Lewis is dressed up as G'Kar (very striking too, he has everything but the face makeup) and he goes to a B5 con (where there are others...I saw a Drazi, a male Centauri, a female redhead Telepath I -think-...she also looked like Number One and I did not get the greatest look at her. In any case, all looked great) and he meets a woman dressed up as Delenn (fifth season attire, but first season boneplate...and I mentioned that to my parents about that little problem *L* Oh, and the actress was also the woman that played Maria's mother on Roswell, and now she appears on the Job). What I was wondering is that these costumes LOOKED EXACTLY like the costumes from the show. Does anyone know if the costume designers had infact borrowed the costumes from B5 for this ep?

Actually there are several Drew Carey episodes where B5 gets a mention, as I recall. And yes, the material used in the convention episode came from Babylonian productions:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>We worke[d] with the folks from the DCS on this. When they asked if they could do it, I only asked that they use our makeup and costume folks so it was authentic, rather than what Ellen did with 'em. I think they did a great job with this on Drew.

jms - 02/10/1999

> My question is this: Did the Carey show producers have to get your (or somebody's) permission to use the B5 stuff in this ep? Did you know about it? <

Actually, those WERE our costumes and prosthetics, loaned to them.

jms - 7/18/1999<hr></blockquote>

The fact that B5 and Drew Carey are Warner Bros. productions probably made this a little easier. I wasn't aware that Ellen had done anything involving B5 until I dug up that first message on JMS News, and I don't remember if that was produced by WB or not. The only reason I'm sure DCS is a WB show is that I visited the (empty) set when I toured Warner Bros. a couple of years ago.

Regards,

Joe

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>what one was it?<hr></blockquote>

"Three Guys, a Girl, and a 'B' Story" from season 4. I've only caught bits and pieces of the Carey show over the years, since I hardly ever watch broadcast television. I have liked what I've seen, but not enough to make watching a habit. This may become another series (like X-Files) I catch up on when it is released on DVD. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Do they even show the titles at the start of each episode? (Many sitcoms don't.)

The episode sounds pretty funny:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>At a convention for fans of the science-fiction television show Babylon 5, Lewis meets a great woman, Tracy (recurring guest star DIANE FARR), and gets a date with her for Friday. Later, Oswald meets Tracy when he unknowingly delivers a present from Lewis to her. Tracy finds Oswald cute and makes a date with him for Saturday. When Tracy brings the present, which was bought at Winfred-Louder, to Drew with a quality complaint, he convinces her to go out with him on Sunday. Not knowing that they are all about to date the same person, the guys ask Kate how they should impress a woman on the first date. Following Kate's advice, Lewis, Oswald and Drew all do exactly the same thing on their respective dates, bewildering Tracy. Later, she sees the three of them together and figures out the situation. The guys each vie for a second date with Tracy. Meanwhile, Kate tries another entrepreneurial endeavor, in-office massages. Unfortunately, she knows nothing about how to give a massage. Also, Mr. Wick becomes the landlord of all the houses in Drew's neighborhood that Winfred-Louder bought. He assigns Mimi to deal with tenant complaints. TM & ©2001 Warner Bros.<hr></blockquote>

I found the synopsis on the official show website. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

If I remember this episode correctly, I think they also stopped the episode several times for play-by-play commentary. The Monday Night Football announcers would rate Lewis', Oswald's and Drew's date with Tracy. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

To show how much of a dork I am, it was actually Al Michaels, Kenny Mayne, and I think Bob Costas. Not really the MNF guys, well Michaels is but I'll shut up now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back