• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5:TLT - New Logo and CGI

Telepath

I thought a very long time about why I don't like the lines behind the new babylon 5 logo (the waterfall). and then i knew it. atari!

Here are links to two new photos. I didn't use IMG to put the photos here because of:

"Since these photos are from the private collection of J. Michael Straczynski, we kindly request that none of these photos be reproduced, downloaded or posted anywhere else, including non-commercial & fan websites. Thank you for understanding."

The New Logo
http://www.babylon5scripts.com/New-B5-Logo.jpg
I like it. :D

One CGI Frame
http://www.babylon5scripts.com/Shot-From-Lost-Tales.jpg
Looks like the ships departing shot before B5 is destroyed in Sleeping in Light. B5 and the ships look right, and we have Epsilon 3. I'm not going to quibble about the new look, bright nebula background, though I always did like the deep, saturated colors of B5 Seasons 1 thru 5 nebulae. Remember the deep blue one in the main titles around Seasons 1 & 2? There seems to be less saturation and more contrast here, but it'll probably grow on me.

It's great to see the familiar ships again. Feels like home. ;)

Man, I can't wait. :D

Last edited:
That logo just looks perfect.. Even without the name you'd know what it was from the stripe and the backdrop.. And I really love the effects shot too - all that extra detail and layering (look at Epsilon 3!) and yet it's still so faithful to the original look.. :)

Thanks for linking that! :)

In the effects shot, does anybody recognize the ship that's between B5 and the Brakiri cruiser, just above those two Starfuries?

How about the ship just above the Whitestar? The left side of that second ship looks a bit like the tail end of a Drazi Sunhawk. Then again, it might be the head end of a Narn ship. Hard to tell.

I recognize one Vree saucer, one Brakiri cruiser, one EA Hyperion cruiser, three standard Starfuries, one EA Non-Atmospheric Transport, one Whitestar, one Centauri Primus battlecruiser, and one Minbari Sharlin warcruiser.

Beat you to posting it in the TLT news thread. ;)

I think the new space CG looks great, and it still has a great unique colourful feel to it that is very B5, yet it takes a great leap in realism. And that black logo looks awesome.

And I really love the effects shot too - all that extra detail and layering (look at Epsilon 3!) and yet it's still so faithful to the original look.. :)

I'm not used to seeing Epsilon 3 with what looks like clouds. It always looked like it didn't have much of an atmosphere. Maybe those clouds are surface ice?

Beat you to posting it in the TLT news thread. ;)
:p ;)

And that black logo looks awesome.
Has a nice feeling of motion to it. :)

Last edited:
In the effects shot, does anybody recognize the ship that's between B5 and the Brakiri cruiser, just above those two Starfuries?

It's an Earth Force corvette, as seen in In the Beginning (in the scene where it and a bunch of Starfuries get blown away during Londo's narration). I don't remember it ever appearing in the series proper.

How about the ship just above the Whitestar? The left side of that second ship looks a bit like the tail end of a Drazi Sunhawk. Then again, it might be the head end of a Narn ship. Hard to tell.

That one is a Narn heavy cruiser, seen from the front.

I'm not used to seeing Epsilon 3 with what looks like clouds. It always looked like it didn't have much of an atmosphere. Maybe those clouds are surface ice?

It does have some atmosphere - enough to prevent the Starfuries following the atmospheric shuttle into it in A Voice in the Wilderness, and for Sheridan to use it to test the atmosphere wings of a Thunderbolt Starfury in Ship of Tears. I'm pretty sure there were clouds visible before - or as you say it could be surface ice. The planet looked a little different in the original cut of the Gathering, I think there was a swirl of white on it.

Quick addendum: just popped the disc in and watched the original scene again, and all these ships are there (including the EA corvette, although it's at the front edge of the screen and quite hard to see). There were some Centauri fighters in the original shot that aren't here, as well as some other fighter-sized ships that I don't recognise.

I guess this could be a test shot, or part of the title sequence..

I hope this is ok, but I made a quick comparison pic between the TLT shot and the closest to it I could find on my Sleeping in Light DVD, to illustrate the huge difference in colour fidelity and lighting and detailing and, well, everything, between the two. The difference is pretty amazing when you put them next to each other.

edit: Just the screenshot of SiL to compare now.

Last edited:
Er...It's clear on the website that they don't want pics posted, only links.

Sorry.

Jan

It's an Earth Force corvette, as seen in In the Beginning (in the scene where it and a bunch of Starfuries get blown away during Londo's narration). I don't remember it ever appearing in the series proper.

Looks almost like the front end of a Breaching Pod, or just the engine complex (tail) of an EA Omega.

That one is a Narn heavy cruiser, seen from the front.

Hmmm, I dunno. The leading edges of the swept-back "wings" don't look sharp enough, look too rounded. That's what made be see a bit of Drazi Sunhawk there. Maybe it's just the way the light's hitting it. Looks like all of the skin patterns and colors still needs to be added, except perhaps on the Sharlin.

Just noticed the red docking bay light and the running lights are off, so it's definitely meant to be a recreation of the SiL scene. Also, as B5_obsessed has pointed out on the jmsnews forum, either the Minbari or the Centauri warship is massively out of scale :D

Looks almost like the front end of a Breaching Pod, or just the engine complex (tail) of an EA Omega.

This is an excellent site for B5 ships (hope the owner doesn't mind me plugging it here :) ):

http://www.themadgoner.com/TMG/Sci_Fi/SciPages/Babylon5/Front_Page/Mark4_Build.htm

The corvette is recognisable by its conning tower on top and the two towers sticking out on either side - the Narn ship is flying almost dead at the camera and has a distinctive 'squashed halo' around its body that's visible against the nebula.

JMS certainly has a lot of explaining to do if these are his private photos.. (just kidding ;) )

Last edited:
Er...It's clear on the website that they don't want pics posted, only links.

Sorry.

Jan
I thought it might be ok to use it as part of a comparison shot since I'm not reposting a clean full size version and since it isn't actually one of his personal photos. But on second thought, I suppose it is better to err on the side of honoring their wishes, so I edited out the TLT part of the image. I hope posting the screenshot of SiL is still ok.

I love the logo too. Something a tad retro about it -- sci-fi retro, I mean, going back to 70s movie posters and book covers... makes it feel all epic.

I thought it might be ok to use it as part of a comparison shot since I'm not reposting a clean full size version and since it isn't actually one of his personal photos. But on second thought, I suppose it is better to err on the side of honoring their wishes, so I edited out the TLT part of the image. I hope posting the screenshot of SiL is still ok.
You might be able to post a piece of both frames to use as a comparison, like it's often OK to post an excerpt instead of a full article. Just a thought. What do the mods. think about that, say posting the B5 (the station) bit of both, or Sharlin vs. Sharlin, nebula vs. nebula, etc., to show the differences?

Back